1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans HAVE to draft Bryce Young

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You do understand that people were b****ing about Caserio for not benching players to ensure a loss? This tells me the Texans didn’t care if they won the Colts game. It could be Stroud was #1 on their board all along and winning gave the Texans cover for not picking Bryce Young when that is who the fan base wanted.

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Doesn’t matter. That is not a risk you take hoping that our guy would still be there at #2.
    Did it work out for us? Looks like it might have. But that doesn’t mean I want a statue for Lovie and “cover for not picking what the fans wanted” is not what a competent GM would be doing. But if that is our justification, I guess that’s why they traded back out of 13 so that they had “cover” for not picking Jordan Davis and getting Kenyon Green?
    I won’t mention not getting Kyle Hamilton because I do think Pitre in the 2nd was a better pick than Hamilton in the first (value). where was the cover for picking an injury-prone Stingley instead of Sauce?

But yes, picking 2nd didn’t seem to hurt us in this case.

red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Pbev99

Pbev99 Member

If the Texans had the first pick, they would have definitely taken Bryce Young. Nick already has an SEC bias. He picked 2 SEC guys in the first round last year and neither were considered the best at their position. Young was considered QB1 by most of the draft experts. And Demeco was an Alabama guy. With all those factors in play, it’s pretty safe to assume the Texans would have picked Young over CJ.

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

Not all fans wanted Bryce as the #1 pick. I wanted CJ. I didn't want a little QB. I'm happy. In fact, I'm happier than I expected to be with how he's done with so little protection.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

There is no way they were hoping to pick #2 so they didn't have to pick Bryce. The draft process hadn't really started yet for most teams. There's no way they could have guaranteed a team didn't trade up for Stroud.

JayGoogle, houstonstime and Astrodome like this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The Texans were ok with either QB. They were not Young or bust. People think teams use the offseason evaluation to make decisions. Teams use film to make decisions. The offseason is to make sure the player doesn’t have personality red flags or off the field issues. Workouts also helps confirms film and work ethic. However, teams at the top the draft know the players they are going to pick…in general (usually 3-5 options).

Ancient Moabite and whag00 like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

love this guy's videos

8. mario_v

mario_v Member

Who was that panthers fan on Twitter that said he wanted stroud to be a bust so it could justify trading up for Bryce Young?

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Young actually cracked 200 yards today with zero TDs in a loss to the terrible Vikings. @cmoak1982 must be so proud.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. percicles

percicles Member

This thread did not age well

11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m not sure I’d trade DJ Moore for Bryce Young straight-up.

Red.Glare likes this.
  12. Two Sandwiches

I've got two bibs, a fork and a knife, and I'm sitting at the table ready for some crow.

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

I guess the football was too big for him to hold on to? Should have gone junior sized.

Blatz likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Remember when Ryan Leaf was drafted ahead of Peyton Manning?

I kid...I kid...

deb4rockets likes this.
  17. conquistador#11

"Ayoo" is wild. Now he is pretending he never called Stroud a bust & wanting Mills to start. Which is ok if you did but now he is accusing others.

I think Young would be showing up much better in this style offense than what he is doing with whatever they run in Pantherland.
    Whose system you end up in is almost as important as your talent.

#1837 conquistador#11, Oct 1, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  18. Buck Turgidson

This can all be true and Stroud can still be the better QB

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. conquistador#11

Of course he is. Am I not posting enough Coleridge Bernard the IV propaganda? I only have 5 posts in every page of the Coleridge Bernard draft thread.

20. Buck Turgidson

Samuel Taylor Coleridge Bernard Shaw Shank the Fourth, Esquire