1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

The steal of the NFL draft .......

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by wizkid83, Apr 7, 2005.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

will be Maurice Clarett, there I said it, flame away. He just ran a 4.67 in his pro day workout (steroids maybe ;) ) but in all honesty, for some one who's going to be an 8th round draft pick he's going to be a damn good investment for what ever team that picks him. I think he'll have at worst a solid NFL career with a year or two in which he barely makes or is at the pro bowl level but the reason he'll be a steal is because of where he will be taken will probably be a lot lower than what his ability is going to dictate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clarett gets last shot to impress NFL scouts
    By JOE MILICIA, Associated Press Writer
    March 31, 2005

Photo
    AP - Mar 31, 5:24 pm EST
    More Photos
    CORTLAND, Ohio (AP) -- Maurice Clarett ran faster on his home turf than he did at the NFL combine.

A month after Clarett bombed in Indianapolis, he was clocked at around 4.67 seconds in two 40-yard dashes, according to his agents, while working out for scouts from eight NFL teams Thursday.

``I was just trying to give the coaches what they wanted,'' Clarett said. ``They wanted a faster 40, so I worked on the 40 more than anything.''

At the combine, the former Ohio State star was clocked at between 4.72 and 4.82 in the 40, a time more appropriate for a linebacker or defensive end than a running back.

Clarett completed more than an hour's worth of drills Thursday on an artificial turf indoor soccer field.

``I think it might get him back into the draft,'' agent Steve Feldman said.

Clarett unsuccessfully challenged the NFL's minimum-age requirement in court last year and hasn't played since leading Ohio State to a national title in 2002 as a freshman.

ADVERTISEMENT
    He was suspended the next season for lying to NCAA and university investigators.

Scouts and coaches representing Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Miami, New England, Pittsburgh and St. Louis attended the workout near Clarett's hometown of Warren.

``He looks good,'' Browns offensive coordinator Maurice Carthon said.

Despite being two pounds heavier at 236 pounds, Clarett looked more defined than at the NFL combine. He wore a gray sleeveless shirt and a pair of black shorts for his running drills then went shirtless for some receiving drills.

Clarett bared his teeth during his first 40-yard dash and quickly exhaled air at the end of his second run before slamming to a stop against a wall of the soccer field.

Bengals running backs coach Jim Anderson ran Clarett through a series of drills and at one point barked at him to do a shuttle drill correctly.

``He worked hard,'' Anderson said.

Clarett smiled and appeared relieved after the workout was over.

Photo
    AP - Mar 31, 5:20 pm EST
    More Photos
    ``I was wheezing a little bit at the end, but overall I think I did good,'' Clarett said.

His lawyer, David Kenner, said Clarett was in better shape after spending the last month focusing on fast-twitch muscle training with a trainer who works with San Diego Chargers All-Pro LaDainian Tomlinson.

Knowing his performance at the NFL combine could have pushed him out of the April 23-24 draft, Clarett set up Thursday's workout. It was supposed to have been at his former high school's track in Warren but high winds forced the show indoors to the nearby soccer arena.

Ohio State excluded Clarett from participating in ``pro day'' workouts with his former teammates earlier this month. Clarett alienated himself at Ohio State with allegations that administrators and coaches broke NCAA rules by arranging perks for players.

Clarett doesn't think NFL teams should look at him as a guy with character issues.

``I never had any off the field problems, it was more NCAA regulation problems,'' he said. ``I never beat somebody up or got arrested.''

Feldman predicts that Clarett will be a later round pick but says wherever he's taken it will be below his ability.

``Of course I would like to go higher in the draft, I've been working since I was in high school to get to this point,'' Clarett said. ``But that's something I can't control. Whatever happens on April 23, I think I'll live with it.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...cA--?slug=ap-clarettworkout&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. drapg

drapg Member

3. AlexVanderpool

damn it, you beat me to it...

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"The steal of the NFL draft ......."

I don't think he will be 'the' steal of the draft, but I do think is being blown off too early because of his times.

He'll do better in the NFL than Ron Dayne.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The steal of the NFL draft .......will be Maurice Clarett

Um, no.

Mainly because it is too obvious. It will be someone that only diehard junkies like Mel Kiper will have heard of.

6. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

If Maurice can get with the right coach he can still become a player. He needs discipline and he needs a couple years. I am really hoping Dallas takes him in the 6th round. Parcells seems like he may be a good influence on Mo and playing as a backup will give him time to get his timing back.

7. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

It will be whoever the steelers draft. The bust will be Aaron Rogers no NFL QB from that system has had sucess. ALEX SMITH.

BIG BEN.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think Clarett would be a nice pickup for the Texans in the fourth or fifth round...if he's still left.

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

The Texans wouldn't touch Clarett with a ten foot pole.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

At the combine, the former Ohio State star was clocked at between 4.72 and 4.82 in the 40, a time more appropriate for a linebacker or defensive end than a running back.

This should scare most if not all would be teams away.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't understand why people are so down own his attutide. He has never had any major off field problems. No drugs, no fights, nothing. He recieved benefits just like any other college football player. He ratted out Ohio State because they bad mouthed him. I never understood why everyone took Ohio States side. The mistake he made was not playing football anywhere last year. But look how hard he has worked. He has something to prove and the talent to back it up. So what if hes out of shape? One offseason of NFL training and he'll be in the best shape of his life! Simple as that...

12. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

He lied on a police report regarding a break-in of a "loaner".

He got Troy Smith (OSU QB and a good friend of his) mother to give him her cell phone, ran up the minutes, didn't pay her back but told Troy how he could get the money. that led Troy to get suspended for 2 games from taking money from a Booster.

I dunno between taking money from boosters (and BTW not all players do it just the ones with alot of ability and the ones with their hands out), lying on a police report, and getting your friend suspended because you screwed over his mother for phone bills, well that's 4 years worth of trouble for most troublemakers, but Mo did it in 1/2 the time!

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wow, I never heard this before ~ you're right he should go undrafted...

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Like i said... No major off the field problems.