1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The search begins for the next manager

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Oct 23, 2023.

1. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's not Espada or it would have already happened. This disappoints me. I hope it's not another relic from 1981.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Exactly. They need to listen to and trust their baseball people. But there's zero doubt Jim Crane wants to win. It can get in the way - I think the riff with him and Click was rooted in Click being far more long-term thinking and less urgent - but it's not, on the whole, a bad thing. I think everyone reflexively goes to Jerry Jones - but naming yourself GM and not having that element to guide your team is an extreme example of a too-hands-on owner.

I think Crane seems to strike the right balance.

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

I think we felt like this was Espada's job, unless he **** himself in the interview. Maybe this is how it went down:

Brown/Crane: If you're the manager how will you manage playing time in the outfield?

Espada: I'm with Dusty in that Chas is not a big boy. Dubon is an up-and-coming star. His Gold Glove shows that. Dubon will be getting 80% of the starts in the outfield and Chas is my 4th outfielder.

Brown/Crane: How will you manage playing time at catcher?

Espada: Maldy must be resigned as I'm with Dusty on his intangibles being the most important. I will reduce Maldy's starts but he will still catch more than 50% of the time being the personal catcher to JV, Framber, and McCullers when he's back while also giving him occasional starts with the other starters.

Brown/Crane: But don't you think......Espada interrupts and says when I'm the manager, you won't be telling me how to fill out a lineup card.

Stephen66 and Jake Tower like this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Jones thinks he's the smartest guy in any room. And he's almost always wrong. But you hire guys to be better than you while retaining the ability to fire them if they aren't.

raining threes and Hey Now! like this.
  5. Radricky

Radricky Member

6. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

I'm pretty sure there are many "younger" managers that can maneuver a bit of critique while handling a championship squad. This idiot thinks that baseball managers are all super-emotional gen z's

#426 Castian Crew, Nov 9, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
    The Beard and Stephen66 like this.
  7. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Good. Let it weed out the mentally weak candidates

8. Marshall Bryant

That would definitely put you on a path to the Brewers job.

Stephen66 and marks0223 like this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

This used to be call someone with a thin skin and it was not a term of endearment. It's calling you soft and lacking confidence in yourself.

Stephen66 likes this.
  10. Qan

Qan Member

I'm glad that's true, but I have a feeling this dude is just spitting bullsht out of his mouth. It's par the course for him.

The Beard and Stephen66 like this.
  11. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes

“Joe Espada should've been a manager years ago. He's been ready. He's one of the most prepared and focused individuals I've worked with. His communication abilities are excellent and that's one of the main factors to being a manger. I'm just as surprised he hasn't landed a manager position yet but he will soon. Sometimes you just need to have connections in other organizations, which has always been in the case in baseball.” -

Of all people this quote is from Antonio Padilla......

#431 Rock Block, Nov 9, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
    Stephen66 likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Member

LMAO. So, twitter and bloggers ran Dusty off? Id like to thank every single person that tweeted a bad thing about Dusty then. Good job Ladies and Gentleman.

Is Dusty so stuck in his own ego to take criticism online via strangers so literally and harshly? Thats too bad.

13. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It’s the Breathing Orange Fire Poscast that ran him off. Like and subscribe to show your gratitude. Just kidding- he’s never heard of us I’m sure.

14. MadMax

MadMax Member

I knew you curmudgeons would **** it up for us eventually on this new hire

desihooper likes this.
  15. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports
    Supporting Member

This is incredibly stupid take. “Bloggers and tweeters” are in absolutely every city, and in most there is also critical media and sports talk, which Houston does not have.

No one is turning down Houston because of some uniquely hostile environment. Dusty is just feeding that tripe out through his friends … if anything it shows how compliant our media is.

16. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dusty, always the victim.

17. Marshall Bryant

He's still describing the Houston of the 1950s and early 1960s. His opinion hasn't changed in 60 years.

Stephen66 likes this.
  18. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Houston fans were complete a******** one year after winning a title. You also had radio hosts launching personal attacks on the man. Nobody has to accept that.

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Is this guy for real? How can you be that stupid?

Stephen66 and cmlmel77 like this.
  20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Well then….. Thank you, bloggers.