1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets were really good the last 8 years, be happy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by francis 4 prez, Dec 11, 2020.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

This article was posted in another thread by SamFisher, but I feel like the paragraph below should be pasted on every page of the message board:

https://defector.com/james-harden-being-a-prick-is-not-an-existential-threat-to-the-nba/

But way back, before any of that, is a more basic question: How sure is anybody that this hasn’t all been a success? The Rockets didn’t win a championship with James Harden, and it now appears all but certain they never will. But they made the conference finals twice during a period in which they shared a conference with the most dominant team in league history, and came as close to unseating the full-strength version of those dynastic Warriors as any team that didn’t have LeBron James on it. They surpassed 50 wins five times in eight years, and 60 wins once; they had the Warriors on the brink of elimination twice in 2018. Harden won three scoring titles, made first-team all-NBA six times, won the MVP award in 2018, and finished in the top three in voting four other times in his eight seasons in Houston. How many teams have ever enjoyed that kind of run and then didn’t go through a precipitous fall afterward? LeBron left the Cleveland Cavaliers in utter ruin twice just in the past decade, for God’s sake.

From here it looks like the Rockets had a fabulously successful eight-year run with one of the greatest scorers in NBA history, and now it’s ending—for what are ultimately normal reasons: roster attrition and stagnation, coaching staff and front-office turnover, the unmistakable sense that the team has gone as far as it can and its championship window has closed.

daryl morey doesn't know how to construct a roster. mike d'antoni can't adjust. james harden sucks in the playoffs. we've watched 5 mvp-level seasons from our best player. been the only team to threaten, much less lead the warriors in a series, a team that up until durant's achilles injury was having the most dominant 5 year run in nba history (it was like if the 2nd 3-peat bulls won 67 and 73 in '94 and '95). arguably the worst team we've lost to in the playoffs in 6 years was a 61 win spurs team. we did it without being the place lebron james or kevin durant wanted to sign, even when we were an obviously better choice than the alternative. did it without an owner willing to spend. without great injury luck.

maybe they're just a vocal minority, but you'd think the way some fans talk (and i don't just mean the last few weeks), that they just had to suffer through 8 years of watching the kings or hornets. i don't know why everyone has to find someone to blame. we were good. you only control what you can control. we controlled it pretty well. and now it's probably over, as tends to happen.

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

That's a nice way to look at it homie, but

Anti harden fans: stfu we didn't win a ring, so harden is a choker/btch. Trade his ass now for being ungrateful.

Some people are just spoiled btches. Imagine being a kings/hornets/knicks fan.

#2 DatRocketFan, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    Reeko, Rocket_Man_2.0 and HP3 like this.
  3. Pringles

Pringles Member

It was a fun time indeed and seemed like we were very close for multiple years straight. It was better than the time then us relying on T-Mac or Yao's health on a year to year basis. That 2018 playoffs unfortunately left the same taste in my mouth as the 2009 (2008?) where we had T-Mac, Yao, Mutombo all injure themselves in the second half of the season/playoffs. But that's part of being a sports fan. Ups and downs.

Patience, burlesk and HP3 like this.
  4. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Preach

Reeko likes this.
  5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

With the trajectory Tilman Fertitta has this franchise heading, we won't have to wait too long to experience just what that's like.

How that idiot can even show his face at Rockets games is beyond me right now.

6. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Maybe these fans are mad because they want the good days to continue and don’t think it should end. We all remember the Kevin Martin days and don’t want to go back to those. That’s why some people are mad because Harden wants to leave, even though we have been close many times and I think if the front office can tweak the roster every year maybe we will break through but if Harden leaves we are basically hitting the reset button and who knows how long it will take until the team gets back to being close again.

Amazingly the Harden teams have been so much more successful then any of the Yao and McGrady teams. That’s very surprising when u think about it.

DVauthrin and joshuaao like this.
  7. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

Imagine being a Lakers, Warriors, Spurs or Heat fan.

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Y should I care about band wagoners? lol.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Eric is having fun again?!

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Clemons sucks.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think - 2009 was better for Yao/tmac (finally out of 1st round) - but it was due to Yao and Artest - if tmac didn't have the surgery or tried some alternatives/if Yao didn't go down against the Lakers in Round 2... They might have had a shot - especially since the injured rockets still took the eventual champion lakers to 7 games. I know what you're referring to though on the 22 games or whatever and regular season franchise records are nice... but don't mean much when you don't win it - then again you're right though about the injuries lots of things would be different. Like 1998 - houston had Utah on the ropes and barkley's arm injury derailed that. I think they would have had a shot even as the 8th seed (due to injuries) to maybe face the Bulls.

With that said during Harden's time in Houston he's had the Rockets the closest to a championship since the 1997 WCF run (yeah he might have had some bad playoffs/questionable performances but he was the reason the Rockets were close in the 1st place, I mean w/o him some of those years houston wouldn't have made the playoffs). So.... It's been fun, but not great like 94 and 95, but I wouldn't trade it for these awful franchises that haven't done anything. Houston has had more success in the post Hakeem Era than some franchises have ever had - so while it'll suck if this is it, it's still better than nothing. I'm definitely not looking forward to where it looks like this team will be headed post Harden but I'll still watch the Rockets.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jalen Rose would say happiness is a function of expectations. I didn't expect the Rockets to be as successful as they were all things considered. It's just the way they lost that was sometimes disappointing. Oh well, Harden's a historically special player and we watched him grow up in Houston. I hope the NBA pulls some draft shenanigans so they won't lose this market, but we're probably going to suck with this ownership. I'm ready for that. It was a good run.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I preferred the Yao Ming era over the Harden era, to be honest.

Both were really good, but I just liked the ball that Yao, Scola and Tmac played.

DD