1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rocket's summer 2006 rebuilding resources:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sherlock, May 22, 2006.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

The summer can be a very fun time to brainstorm potential ways to rebuild the team. It's actually one of my favorite times of the year, as a fan ... dreamcasting the possibilities of trades, drafts, signings, etc.

But, we can also waste a lot of each other's time with scenarios that are not based on the facts, and have NO chance of happening. So, I thought I'd list our resources, so we understand some boundaries as we play Rocket's GM.

<b>1) We are over the salary cap:</b> <a href="http://nbadraft.net/2006stateofthecaphouston001.asp">According to NBADraft.net,</a> the salary cap will probably be around 52 million. Our current salaries are about 54.5 mil, which puts us 2.5 OVER the salary cap.

Here's the 2006 salaries:

Tracy McGrady 16,901,500
    Yao Ming 12,000,000
    Juwan Howard 5,900,400
    Stromile Swift 5,400,000
    Rafer Alston 4,200,000
    Bob Sura 3,800,000
    Dikembe Mutombo 2,210,000
    Charlie Ward 1,500,000
    Luther Head 1,048,800
    Ryan Bowen 998,967
    ----------------------------------------

In addition, we can resign players who's contracts ended:

David Wesley 5,070,000
    Keith Bogans 869,373
    Marciej Lampe 858,534
    Rick Brunson 366,178
    Chuck Hayes 248,118
    Richie Frahm 191,832

What that means, is that we can't straight out sign anyone, except with our MidLevel exception or our Trade Exceptions. We can't trade for someone for a draft pick, unless we use our Trade Exceptions. So, we are limited to offsetting trades, picks in the draft, resigning some of our players, and using our 3 exceptions. Of course, our owner has continued to work to stay under the luxury tax limit, which could be anywhere from 57 to 62 mil this next year.

If you really want to get into this and become one of our resident capologists, then you can study <a href="http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm">Larry Coon's Salary Cap FAQ.</a> For those of you who haven't used it yet, RealGM.com has a trade evaluator, where you can figure out if a trade is possible, although the figures for 2006 haven't been updated yet, until after the playoffs. Under the the latest CBA, a trade has to be within 25% of each player's salaries and $150k, if each team is over the salary cap.

<b>2) We have 2 Trade Exceptions:</b> <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.com/showthread.php?t=112826">According to Rockets.com,</a> we have a 4.2 TE from the Moochie Norris trade, and one for 1.67 Mil from the Derek Anderson trade. <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?threadid=80644">These can only be traded directly for a player, and cannot be aggregated or mixed with players and cash.</a> What CAN be done, is to trade the TE for a different player of lesser value, and then another player traded directly for someone, like what we did in the James trade. So, what that means is that we can trade for a player for 4.2 mil and one for 1.67 from a team who needs salary room under the cap.

<b>3) We have a 5.4 mil Mid Level Exception:</b> Of course, so does everyone else, so the competition will be high. It can be split for more than one player. If we want to bring Vassoulis over, we'd have to pay him part of that exception, and then the rest for another player. But, that's as far is it would go. Our only option to sign Mike James is if he either signed for the 5.4 mil MLE, or if Toronto wanted any of our players in a sign and trade, to give him a bigger paycheck.

<b>4) We own the rights to a few players:</b> We own the rights to Kyle Hill, Malick Badiane, Vassilis Spanoulis and Venson Hamilton. But, we'd have to sign them, just like a free agent, except they can't sign with any other team, unless we trade their rights.

<b>5) We have 2 draft picks in this summer's draft.</b> At the moment, our draft position is with the 8th pick in the first round, and the 2nd pick in the second round. Of course, the lottery on May 23rd can change all that. If we get lucky, we could end up with one of the top 3 picks, like we did when we picked Yao, but if any other team not in the top 8 gets a lottery pick, our pick could go down, at worst case 3 picks.

We don't have an LLE, since we used it last year, and we don't have any more expiring contracts to use in trades. So, we're limited more than we have been in a long time. This is the summer for Dawson to step up to the plate, and do much better than last summer to build a team around Yao and McGrady.

2. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

1.Juwon Howard's salary for next season will be around 6.4M

2.Chuck Hayes and Maciej Lampe both have a one-year team option.

3. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

nice job! really help us for the offseason plan!

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Are you sure Hayes has an option?

I know Lampe does so I did the numbers myself by adding all of guarenteed contracts for next year then subtracting that sum from the $54.4 million total and got $940,000 for Lampe next year, which sounds about right.

5. ghost

ghost Member

According to www.hoopshype.com, neither Haynes nor Lampe have an option for next year. They are FA's, as their contract expired this season. Where are you getting your info? I saw a few other places that didn't have options for Hayes. Lampe wasn't even on the info...don't know why, however.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I thought Sura was a team option as well.

DD

7. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

yeah i was wondering where can you find info about all the nba players contracts and their salary, so i can think of trades that could help us too.

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

wrong thread!

correction in progress

#8 Amel, May 22, 2006
    Last edited: May 22, 2006
  9. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I hate seeing this

Ryan Bowen 998,967

we could probably get more waterboys or give them a raise instead!

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If you look at Houston's salary information for next season you will notice there isn't a $0 indicating he's not under contract with the team, there's a blank space for whatever reason.

Just take a look at Clutchfans' very own player profile.....

http://www.clutchfans.net/players/maciej_lampe/

Salary Information
    Lampe signed a 4-year contract worth $3,490,000.00 on Aug 13, 2003. Will be a free Agent in 2007. Team holds an option for 2006-07 season, after which Lampe will become a restricted free agent.