1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets need a hustler !!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 1, 2000.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Rockets have plenty of offensive players, but no one on the team to come in and set the defensive intensity, to change the games momentum from the defensive side of the ball.

Scottie Brooks, David Wood, and Rhodrick Rhodes were the type of all out defensive players who could come in and energize and inspire the team from a defensive stand point.

The Rockets don't have anyone right now that is capable of doing that. Cuttino can change the offense, and KT brings some decent rebounding, but no one to come in as an ALL OUT hustling player.

That is what I think is missing most on this team right now, MoLazy is playing poorly, Francis has been struggling to find his game, and the teams intensity level is all over the map.

If they would just get it together on defense, it would lead to more wins while the offense comes around.

Thoughts?

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from Monkeys and Apes, then why are there still Monkeys and apes?

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Danny Bones Langhi.

------------------
    Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Or how about the rockets just get the magazine Hustler? Will that count?

------------------
    Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I sure wish it could have been Antonio. I don't know what it is but everytime I see him, he is all about production: offensive AND defensive!

------------------
    Sometimes you gotta do the next best thing!

5. treeman

treeman Member

When Shandon wakes up, he and Dream will provide enough defense to overcome most opponents. When Steve doesn't have to worry about defense any more - that is what I hope for. 'Course, if Shandon doesn't wake up soon then that is a moot point...

------------------

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I thought we won the Denver game on defense. Shandon and Dream were big.

Plus, I thought KT did great on Webber in the 4th. And Cuttino has improved his defensive fundamentals. Overall, our defense is the greatest improvement from last year, imo. Particulary in the 4th Q.

Still, I'm with you. We need a TALL defender for the future. LaFrentz shows how lacking Cato really is on fundamentals. Why can't Cato learn to block like that...with good positioning.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

There was a particular big defensive play that Shandon made... with the shot clock winding down he was all over (and cleanly) either James Posey or Abdul-Wahad... can't remember. But he blocked him and forced the turnover... I really like Shandon's ability to play one-on-one defense...

What the Rockets really need though is a defensive force inside... Nuggets got a lot of dunks (McDyess, LaFrentz, Posey)... LaFrentz is the type of player the Rockets could use in the paint. Guy is an excellent shot blocker...

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

9. DaDakota

HP, Clutch et al,

I agree we have some good defensive players, and I agree Clutch LaFrentz(SP?) would look great in the Rockets PJ's.

What I am talking about though, is a get in your face HUSTLING all the time role player, someone to come in and wreak havoc on the other team, play some stifling "D" and get the rest of the Rockets inspired to do the same.

A dive on the floor and go all out all the time type player to change the tempo or intensity when it is needed.

It would be great to have an inside shot blocking presence, but isn't that Cato?

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from Monkeys and Apes, then why are there still Monkeys and apes?

10. DaDakota

One last thing, did you realize that the Rockets are on a 46-36 pace this year.

Not a bad improvement, with all the injuries, and with the team still growing.

DaDakota

------------------

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DaDakota

hhhmmm . . Did you just make a PIG CALL!!

Rocket River
    Pig Miller. . a houston Mainstay

------------------

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You know . .. I think If I was Rudy
    I'd take one day out of practice . .
    SIT EVERYONE DOWN TO WATCH

and Make MO TAYLOR and KT
    play Mr MEAN and PIG Miller.

After getting thrashed about for a
    hour or two . . .
    walk on court and scream . . HUSTLE!@!@@

That is what I call a LESSON!!

Rocket River

------------------

13. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Come on, this is an easy one ...

------------------

14. Bob Rainey

Bob Rainey Member

I understand Fast Eddie Felson is available. Nobody hustles like this kid. Do you think CD knows Eddie's agent?

------------------

15. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Dadakota, did you say the Rockets need a hustler? RocketPimp would/should be able to set em' up.-ha-ha

Seriously though what you say strikes a nerve. Your right, this team is itchin' for a defensive intimidator. Someone who glorifies in being rough n' mean. Somebody who likes to use their muscles, n' bones. Somebody who likes to snatch n' grab n' pull. somebody who enjoys settin' picks not for the reward of the ball n' a shot, but for a personal gratification in physically punishin' the opponent for the betterment of the team.

The closes player we have to that which you and i speak of is Shandon Anderson. Now, i would like to see less of Moochie norris n' Bullard and more of Shandon Anderson.

Damn, CBrownFanclub can you imagine if Mo Taylor had the heart n' will of Chucky Brown.

------------------

16. DJ

DJ Member

Kenny Thomas, Jason Collier and Carlos Rogers are all guys who always hustles.

------------------