1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

The re-birth of the Right

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Major, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Major

Major Member

For those of you on the "rational" conservative side, if you haven't seen the website, The Next Right (thenextright.com), you really should take a look - and you should hope these guys are able to influence the party. Here are two posts in particular that I think are great. These guys basically are willing to take a look at both the good and the bad in the party and recognize the need to jettison the bad (the anti-illectuals, the Joe the Plumber crap, etc):

http://thenextright.com/patrick-ruffini/the-joe-the-plumberization-of-the-gop

The Joe-the-Plumberization of the GOP

With CPAC upon us, I had wanted to write a state-of-the-movement piece, and describing what I felt had gone wrong. But I couldn't quite put my finger on it. It hit me like a ton of bricks when I saw this:

(link to Joe the Plumber video)

It could have been like any other of the hundreds of pieces I had seen in the last few months touting Joe's latest exploits. Joe the Plumber -- a one or two day campaign gimmick -- has become a poster boy for conservatism. To say that the McCain campaign milked Joe Wurzelbacher's story and then some would be the understatement of the century. Now, conservatives are making him a foreign war correspondent and he is sure to be feted at CPAC -- so I'm sure to get a certain amount of grief for what I'm writing now.

If you want to get a sense of how unserious and ungrounded most Americans think the Republican Party is, look no further than how conservatives elevate Joe the Plumber as a spokesman. The movement has become so gimmick-driven that Wurzelbacher will be a conservative hero long after people have forgotten what his legitimate policy beef with Obama was.

A movement self-confident in its place in American society would not have made Joe the Plumber a bigger story than he actually was. Since its very beginnings as a movement, conservatism has bought into liberalism's dominant place in the American political process. They controlled all the major institutions: the media, academia, Hollywood, the Democratic Party, large segments of the Republican Party, and consequently, the government. Liberalism's image of conservatives in the '50s and '60s as paranoid Birchers gave birth to a conservative movement self-conscious of its minority status. As in any tribe that is small in number and can't fully trust its most natural allies (i.e. the business community or the Republican Party), the meta-debate of who is inside and outside the tribe is magnified exponentially.

The legacy of that early movement -- alive and well at CPAC and in the conservative institutions that still exist today -- is one driven inordinately by this question of identity. We have paeans to Reagan (as if we needed to be reminded again of just how much things suck in comparison today), memorabilia honoring 18th century philosophers that we wouldn't actually wear in the outside world, and code-word laden speeches that focus on a few hot button issues that leave us ill-equipped to actually govern conservatively on 80% of issues when we actually do get elected.

This culture of identity politics means we get especially defensive about the Liberal Majority's main lines of attack, because we think of our position as inherently fragile. The one that spawned the Cult of Joe the Plumber was the meme that Republicans want tax cuts only for the rich and that we don't stand for working Americans. When find a highly visible figure who contradicts this notion, we swing into action. And we go on to press the argument to the point to absurdity, replete with plungers and custom "Joe" yard signs to prove our working class chops. These are the not the marks of a movement that assumes it operates (or should operate) from a position of political and cultural supremacy.

This is so different than the psychology of the left. The left assumes that it is culturally superior and the natural party of government and fights aggressively to frame any conservative incursion on that turf as somehow alien and unnatural. (The "Oh God..." whisper being the perfect illustration.) They dominate Hollywood not by actively branding liberalism in their movies, but by cooly associating liberal policy ideas with sentiments everyone feels, like love (gay marriage) or fairness (the little guy vs. some evil corporate stiff). Though I think Andrew Breitbart is spot on in raising a red flag on the threat we face in Hollywood, I fear that the conservative movement of today would only produce a response as agitprop and sarcastic as the Joe the Plumber phenomenon. In other words, some amusing slapstick comedies but not sweeping cultural epics that will be remembered 50 years from now. When you assume liberals are dominant culturally, you tend toward sarcasm or one-off gimmicks to knock the majority of its game -- but never an all encompassing argument for conservative cultural and political relevance -- something we have lacked for a long time, since Buckley was in his prime.

Conservatives should not need Joe the Plumber to prove their middle class bona fides. We are naturally the party of the middle, and we don't need gimmicks to prove it. Demographically, Democrats rely on being the party of the upper sixth and the lower third, while Republicans tend to do better with everyone in between. When we start losing the middle class and the suburbs, we lose big like we did in 2008.

Put another way, Republicans thrive as the party of normal Americans -- the people in the middle culturally and economically. This is true of our leadership as well -- we have a history of nominating figures who came first from outside politics. Our base is the common-sense voter in the middle who bought a house she could afford and didn't lavishly overspend in good times and who is now subsidizing the person who didn't.

When you think about it, a majority built around this solid middle-American base should beat the disjointed liberal rich/poor coalition. This sense of frugality, orderliness, and personal responsibility is something everything aspires to in difficult times. This is why Obama's pitch is fundamentally off-key if framed correctly. People's first instincts in a recession are not to overspend, but to tighten their belts. Obama's address last night assumed that no one is responsible for anything, except maybe corporate CEOs. The banks as institutions are not ultimately responsible. People who took out risky mortgages are not responsible. The Administration is not responsible for sharing in the pain by postponing longer-term projects like health care. And even if they are, everything in a recession is subsumed to the need to throw money at the problem in an attempt to stabilize the system. The risk for Obama in embracing the bailout mentality is that it catches up to you: this is not how ordinary people act in their daily lives without major consequences down the road.

In these serious times, conservatives need to get serious and ditch the gimmicks and the self-referential credentializing and talk to the entire country. If the average apolitical American walked into CPAC or any movement conservative gathering would they feel like they learned something new or that we presented a vision compelling to them in their daily lives? Or would it all be talk of a President from 25 years ago and Adam Smith lapel pins? This is why I love Newt's emphasis on finding 80/20 issues and defining them in completely non-ideological terms. We need to advance our ideas without ever once saying the word "conservative" or "Republican" in a speech. We need to define these ideas not as conservative, but as American. We need to be confident, like the left is, that we are the natural governing party because our ideas are in alignment with basic American principles, and quit treating middle class, working class, or rural Americans like an interest group to be mollified by symbolic, substance-free BS.

http://www.thenextright.com/jon-henke/marketing-should-not-drive-policy

Marketing Should Not Drive Policy

The problem is ... an echo chamber that has rotted our intellect, a grassroots that is ill-equipped to shape the Republican Party, and a Republican Party that has replaced strategy with tactics, substance with marketing.

The very serious Republican problem I described after the election - and which Patrick Ruffini cogently described as "The Joe-the-Plumberization of the GOP"- is pervasive and crucial. Unfortunately, Paul Krugman identifies another example of the problem...

What is the appropriate role of government? [...] oth sides, I thought, agreed that the government should provide public goods — goods that are nonrival (they benefit everyone) and nonexcludable (there’s no way to restrict the benefits to people who pay.) [...] So what did Bobby Jindal choose to ridicule in this response to Obama last night? Volcano monitoring, of course. [...]

The intellectual incoherence is stunning. Basically, the political philosophy of the GOP right now seems to consist of snickering at stuff that they think sounds funny. The party of ideas has become the party of Beavis and Butthead.

There's a time and place for ridicule, but it should be a byproduct of a coherent, intellectual policy framework and agenda. Policy experts do policy, communicators do marketing.

In recent decades, though, the Repubican Party has turned that process on its head. Now, marketing drives policy (e.g., tax cuts are the answer to everything, and transparency is only something the other guy should do). The policy experts are forced to spin the gimmicks, and the Republican Party grows farther and farther from reality. "Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I read the site often, and I've gotten Ruffini's advice on some party work. He's a really sharp guy, with vision.

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I would like to hear what Trader_jorge, Basso, Bigtexxx, and zantabak1111 say also. They are the most passionate conservatives on this board.

4. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

People misunderstand the right wing. We are seen as conservative snobs. All we want is fair treatment. Why should we work just as hard as everyone and pay a much higher tax rate. Why is it our responsibility that people cannot handle their own business and need big government to take care of life's problems. Republicans want small business and free trade and in turn the democrats want government to control every aspect of our lives and for rich people to basically " not be so rich". I personally believe if someone can create such a large enterprise, their skill should be harbored and studied, not scrutinized and punished in the form of higher taxes. If the lower income earners in society had never started with all these ARM loans we may never have had this housing slump. Sure rich people but homes with ARMs but they could afford their mortgage payment skyrocketing when the time came. I am not a bad person, I just think everyone has a place in life, and if you don't have the money you have no business doing some of the things wealthy people do like buying expensive cars and homes on credit. There is nothing wrong with that belief system, that's not right wing, that's just right.

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

There are way way too many things wrong with this post.

As someone who's parents had to endure tens of thousands of medical costs that our insurance wouldn't cover from a knee injury I had that came because I slipped on a ****ing piece of carpet, you are in no position to speak of what people deserve or how people should manage their money. Aside from losing a year of my life, we lost a lot more because of our ****ty health care system and a bad economy.

I'll stop myself now but in no way did my family do anything to deserve any of this. We paid our mortgage off, had perfect credit, hundreds of thousands in savings and got ****ed by a random injury and a bad economy and for you to somehow sit here and put out armchair criticisms is not only ignorant but insulting.

Until you experience some of the hardships that millions of Americans are facing for a variety of reasons beyond simple mortgages or whatever you want to cite, then just stop.

**** off.

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Trying to make him understand is like attempting to teach a kid calculus without any math background. He calls himself a good guy but then goes on about all these things how we are the elite and we should not be bothered because we work hard.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I want a party with ideas, vision and focus. Congressional Dem leadership makes me sick, but Republicans make me puke even more.

I think the window of goodwill for Obama to make progress is one of the shorter ones of any presidency, but anticipating and capitalizing failure from Obama won't guarantee my vote for Republicans. There hasn't been any give and take from them. Their leadership has stagnated into reactionism and their attacks have been dull and bitter.

John McCain was not the reason Republicans lost.

8. Major

Major Member

Factually false.

Factually false.

Factually false.

Factually false.

Only 4 complete and totally false statements here. I guess that's progress, given some of your other posts.

9. fredred

fredred Member

For starters, when you grossly characterize the political opinions and intentions of the majority of people in this country, addressing them all as poor freeloaders and yourself and your fellow enlightened friends as innocent bystanders, you're not doing anyone any favors. Democrats don't want government to control every aspect of our lives, as you suggest. Rather, and I speak only for myself here (you should try this sometimes), I think liberals see the potential that a democratically elected government has to help the lives of everyone in this country.
    If you and everyone else making $250,000 plus pay that extra 3% and millions more people go to college, start new businesses, buy homes, start families and send their kids to college, it's not only worth it morally, it probably helps you in the long run more than that 3% by creating more customers and keeping more jobs in the country. We're all in this together, it's not rich vs. poor.

By the way, I didn't hear you complaining about fairness when the top 1% got tax breaks under Bush and no one else did...

10. Major

Major Member

I don't think he realizes that people making over $250k actually favored Obama over McCain in this election. Either that, or he thinks those people are freeloaders who don't make any money.

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He thinks anyone below his bracket is a freeloader. What load of crocky.

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

As somebody who identifies himself as being on the right side of the aisle, you do not represent what I feel are the values of most people on the right wing. Maybe the extreme fringe of the right. You sir, are not misunderstood.

Because we have the ability to pay without impinging on our ability to purchase the necessities of life. I am simply mystified that this concept escapes you. Not only that, but people who are wealthier generally require more in services (regulatory and essential services) than others. Therefore, we should pay more for them. You do realize that welfare programs are a very small portion of the government budget, right?

People who are impoverished are not always those that "cannot handle their own business." There are a multitude of reasons why somebody ends up poor. Your argument is intentionally simplistic.

1984 called. They want their version of the Republican Party back. Both parties spend like a drunken sailor these days. The Republicans in recent years have chosen to roll back taxes and just print more money. This is a bad idea.

You are either woefully ignorant of the mortgage system in recent years or are being intentionally obtuse. I represented debtors in bankruptcy cases for almost six years. Now I represent mortgage servicers in bankruptcy cases. I can tell you that the vast majority of the ARM loans that I have seen aren't taken out by the poor. They have been taken out by those in the middle class that faithfully paid on them through a few rate adjustments. Then, in late 2006 and through 2008, LIBOR skyrocketed up to a degree that nobody foresaw. The payments got to a place nobody actually thought they'd get to, and people started defaulting.

There, at least in Texas, is another factor that nobody wants to talk about. The Texas windstorm coverage in 2008 stopped being part of your homeowners policy. Now it is only offered through the state. When that happened, the insurance premiums on a $100,000 home went from about $1,300 a year to over $2,000 a year. The result? Escrow accounts went negative. So now, homeowners are paying escrow for the current year at a higher rate, plus a shortage, plus the higher interest rate. It is a material increase.

Most people do not like the fact that we are having to allow judges to modify mortgages. Most rational people understand that in order to stop the free fall in housing prices, we have to make some concessions.

You may not care about stemming the tide of foreclosures, but people who have never fallen behind on their mortgage in areas hit the hardest are seeing their net worth evaporate as their home value plummets.

It isn't about all me, me, me...that is what got us into this mess. I won't even get into the mortgage backed securities and how profit motivation on the investment side of lending helped get us to where we are.

13. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

That's the thing, not everyone can be highly educated and successful our economy couldn't handle it. We would have no janitors,cashiers, or bus drivers because everybody would be an MBA. We already have 27M plus small businesses in America, how many more do you want? We have too many businesses as it is, its\'s difficult enough as it is to break into a market much less succeed unless you have something revolutionary on your side.It's not rich vs. poor so stop attacking us and thinking its fair we pay a higher percentage than you guys. We already pay more than enough in property tax and sales tax, but it's never enough you have to attack our overall income. I'm sick of my property tax going mainly to HISD, I'd never send my kid to the nightmare of a system that is HISD. For what so Saavedra can take home $400K in compensation.

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

A stratification of rates based upon income has been part of the tax system since its inception. I really wish you had been around when in 1963 when the marginal tax rate for those making over $200,000 a tear was 91%. I can hear your bellyaching now.

If you wanted a standard % without crippling government, it would be a veru high percentage. Not good for the economy as a whole.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've pointed out before and I will do it again. You've ignored it before.

The largest welfare costs go to health care. THE LARGEST GROUP OF RECIPIENTS ON HEALTH CARE ARE SENIOR CITIZENS.

Stop calling our nation's elderly bums, and irresponsible. The elderly can't really go back to school, and start a new career. You are basing your argument about welfare on a myth.

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Please post more high school economics.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Truth of the matter is this: Congressional House Dems represent the old school democratic party.

But the Senate and guys like Obama are actually the new GOP. The GOP we see now isn't Lincoln's party, it's some evangelical party rooted in helping the rich and pushing us to more social conservatism. It's a party of American Arrogance - that somehow if we do the same stuff it will work...like what a grumpy old man from an outdated era.

The true pragmatic leaders are now guys like Arnold S in Cali and Obama. Guys willing to do what makes sense - willing to listen, and adjust their game plan. They may tilt to social or business - but in the end, they aren't blinded by the extreme wings of their own parties...their moderates.

Bush was suppose to be one, he campaigned as such. But it was a lie.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The thing about Obama's pragmatism is that he can easily lose a foothold on his party from missteps. It's like a quick a limber CEO trying to take over a slow and decaying government.

It's good that Obama's keen on using his political capital now because his pragmatism will run an ongoing charge where one can't know "where he stands" in entrenched and bitterly polarized positions. He needs some quick and continuous successes to cement that trust within his party as a leader. Otherwise, his situation will be no better than the Governator and his sinking state..

19. rocket3forlife2

1. Last time I checked Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Idaho are all welfare states and are all screaming Obama is a socialist lol.
    2. There also the poorest
    3. Obama won the upper class vote.
    4. Republicans believe in Laissez Faire economics…The country we rejected that in Nov, so No misunderstanding there.
    5. Most wealth in this country is inherited from past generations.
    6. The Middle class shrunk, and the affluent netted more then ever. No misunderstanding there either.
    7. The republicans were/and are still stubborn.
    8. The leader of the Republican Party is a dope head who happens to be a commentator who has made questionable statements about minorities and women in the past.
    9. The Republican Party is not very diverse and hasn’t really tried until now.
    10. Our republican administration took a week just to say anything about Katrina, but they thought enough to drop food & water in on the other side of the globe in 24 hours.
    11. Washington was in Gridlock
    12 Conservatives were the last ones to realize that the economy was collapsing, something everybody else seem to realize years ago.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is a fantastic post with concrete, real life behind it....as opposed to the mindless dogma of party politics.