1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The problem with this team is much bigger than Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Briand2714, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

We have way too many overrated players that don't live up to their name recognition, and are actually not very good at what they are known for.

People hear names like Dwight, Ariza, Beverely and think 'wow, that must be one hell of a good defensive team.' Well, wrong. They all suck defensively now or at best mediocre.

The problem is those three guys suck even more offensively.

So basically, we have three players who are not particularly good at anything starting for our team. Not to mention a huge hole at the PF spot. How can anyone be surprised by our record?

I used to like Morey, but now I seriously have doubts about his judgement on player acquisition and assessing talent. I'm sick and tired of seeing low-IQ street-ball type players out there, just doing their own thing without any plan or structure in place.

Harden is doing everything he can to carry this team offensively, but he cannot beat GSW alone. It's way too easy for the opponents to stop him, since no other player besides Harden can create a damn shot. All you have to do is double or collapse defensively on Harden and pretty much bricked shot by either James or his teammates is a guarantee.

As much as people love to harp on Harden's D, he only gave up 12 points to Draymond tonight. How many points did Ariza give up to Klay? He played horrible D, and couldn't even convert wide open 3s.

I'm telling you, we have a serious lack of talent problem on this team.

Players can show signs of decline even within a year, and yet we still think Dwight and Ariza can perform at the level they did 5 years ago. Give me a break.

2 people like this.
  2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

One year ago, we were begging Morey to keep this team together. Now we are saying it was a huge mistake.

Morey is not the problem. He did exactly what any good GM would have done after a WCF run. He kept the key pieces intact, signed a free agent that was ready to help (Thornton) and tried to fill one of the big holes (PG) with a guy everyone was begging for.

That's not to say that Morey is perfect. His system is flawed and needs some real work done. At some point the players have to be held accountable, though. Lawson was awful. Ariza couldn't buy a three this season. Beverley was more Angry Chihuahua than Junkyard Dog this season... And Dwight. He started off great but fell off big time.

The players on this team were awful this year. I want to see what Morey does to fix it.

5 people like this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think Ariza and Beverley would be exceptional bench players, they just aren't starter material players in a contender.

But overall what it means when a whole team is playing far under their potential, is that the system, coaching staff and or lockerroom is ****ed which all of the above is our case. All of our players didn't just suddenly fall off or start sucking, Clutchfan members have know from the start that our "system" under McHale was ****, that's why even when we won 56 games last year, made it to the WCF, it still felt like we weren't accomplishing our potential. Well we had a **** system, and it finally crashed. We built our team on a ****ed foundation, its no surprise that the it fell apart.

This team is so undisciplined, makes such a RIDICULOUS amount of fundamental mistakes thag it makes me sick to the point where I feel like I need to go watch the last entire decade of Spurs basketball just to clense my basketball soul from the filth that this team has brought apon its fans.

Horrible. Blow. It. The. ****. Up.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Welcome to a year ago. This isnt new..if LA wasnt so soft mentally, this would have been more apparent then...and it was, at first, after failing to take advantage of Paul's injury...

5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

When I see or hear/talk to Keith Jones, I know just how badly off we are...

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Not all of us wanted the current coaches and players to stay together.

7. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Thankyou. Someone who gets it.

1 person likes this.
  8. dje243

dje243 Member

Preach.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I agree with the premises

I don't agree Ariza is bad on defense. He actually played Thompson as well as anyone could last night imo. Ariza is actually one of the only player on the this team that actually tries really really hard to play well on defense.

With a team like Warriors, there is no individual defense, they don't iso like us, Every possession Thompson and Curry run around 3 or 4 screens and the Rockets look clueless on switches. Playing defense is a team game and is very technical. This team have no discipline or system whatsoever. You can't freelance against great teams no matter how great your individual defense is.

I bet you anything if someone like Thibs gets hired Ariza would look like a God again on defense.

10. ksny15

ksny15 Member

This is all true.

11. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I honestly dont think the players are overrated. They played at a very high level and exceeded expectations last year. This year, it has been the exact opposite.

Dwight, Ariza, and Bev are absolutely above avg defenders, however, the defensive system/scheme (or lack thereof) doesn't work. It doesn't seem like anyone communicates on the defensive end - that's majority of the battle on the defensive end - and i think that falls on coaching.

Morey has his faults, but he's not the one that's putting game plans together on how to beat their opponents. He's not the one setting up the team's rotations. He's not the one pulling out struggling players (Brewer) or putting in players that are doing well(Beasley).

I think the talent is still there, but it just seems like there's too much bad blood within the locker room right now - changes have to be made from players to coaches.

1 person likes this.
  12. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I think the real problem is that having a real team defense system works better than simply grabbing a few guys who can play well individually. Whether Dwight, Ariza, and Beverly are still good or if they suck, they can't cover up for everyone. It's not like the Rockets were a defensive powerhouse even a year or two ago.

Look at the Warriors, for instance - those guys aren't all defensive stoppers but they play together and give the effort. It's kind of the same deal as the offense in that the Rockets seem to just do whatever and don't really know what they're doing from one play to another. Coaching, yeah...

#12 Andy Sheets, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Harden's one-on-one D is not the problem. He's actually way above average in that regard. His help defense, though, is pathetic. When he does rotate, it's usually embarrassingly late and results in easy buckets.

Here's hoping our next coach will install a system to address the issue, then hold everyone accountable.
    <BR>

14. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

The big hard questions that must be answered are these:

Was last year's team playing completely above their head?

Is this team just not living up to its ability?

Are these guys - Howard, Ariza, Beverly, Brewer, D-Mo, Jones, Terry, Smith - just playing below their capability?

Are those guys mentioned just playing at their capability now having come back down to earth after last year?

Have those guys just mentioned hit the tipping point and are dropping off?

What coach can get them to play to or above their head if they haven't dropped off?

This is the tough evaluation that must be done of this team.

15. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

Based on those parameters, here's my evaluation and response to each player:

Harden
    at capability, can probably play more D
    untouchable

Capela
    developing towards capability
    nearly untouchable, must get huge return

Beasley
    at capability
    nearly untouchable because of contract, must get huge return

McDaniels & Harrell
    developing towards capability
    keep and give more time

Beverly
    at capability and may be trailing off
    look for better option and reduce role but keep on bench

Ariza
    falling off
    put on bench

Howard
    hit tipping point
    do not resign under any circumstance (hurts me to say it, I'm a huge D12 fan)

Brewer
    played way above his head, now falling off quickly
    find a way to move him

D-Mo
    writing was on the wall at deadline
    let him walk

Smith, Terry, Jones
    fallen off
    let them walk

Dekker & Goudelock
    do these guys play for the Rockets?

16. J Hard

J Hard Member

Morey is the mastermind of this whole disaster yet everyone kill Harden and the coach. JB hands are tied the same way Mchales was. JB couldve perhaps been the right coach for this team but Mchale created a monster in harden and developed horrific habits and ego, now he is uncoachanle in terms of respecting accountability and constructive criticism.

Noone can tell harden anything as he does whatever he pleases and it reflects at every level on the court.

Morey wanted to be gm coach after rick adelman left and it was the worse thing that couldve haopened to this franchise. He wanted to be a superstar rockstar popular gm and its childlike. It shows the cancerous effect morey now has had on this team.

We were once a respected franchise and organization but Morey coming in, not baving any life history of playing sports but a super nerd at crunching come in and has ruined the reputable reputation of this team amongst players in the league, nba offices, media, and all fans.

This team has become an embarassment of the highest order vecause of Morey and if Les do not want us to begin charging him by association, he better cut ties with morey in heartbeat after this playoffs scrimmage is over with the Warriors.

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Ariza didn't play horrible D. You just looked at the box score. Majority of Klays points came off screens and the free throw line. Ariza only had 2 Personal Fouls.

1 person likes this.
  18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Well Dwight is listed at 6'11 which would make a him a solid 6 inches taller and 45lbs heavier. So I guess you have a point.

19. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Yes, he did. Ariza constantly got blown by Klay and couldn't even stay in front of him the whole time. I've never seen Klay blow by his defender so easily than he did yesterday.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep - why did we sign Brewer again? And we could have traded playoff Dwight too.

:)

DD