1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The problem with Harden is a unique, albeit familiar one...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Another Brother, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I remember back when I was in high school my best friend had HBO. My dad was a preacher and we only did basic TV because he wanted to shelter me from the sex and violence of what made premium cable popular. I’d sneak to my friend’s house and watch all that it had available, but nothing really moved me like a Mike Tyson fight. We’d sit in awe and watch “Iron Mike” hit opponent after opponent with one thunderous blow after another until the fight’s inevitable resolution. Although we were in awe of his raw power we remained confused by the negative commentary. Analyst after analyst would criticize his technique, introduce the word “brawler” into every ringside conversation and engage in what felt like excuses for him doing what boxers should do...win.

Several years after that, a young Venus Williams began to grace the tennis spotlight, an aristocratic sport that had never seen the likes of her power, speed and beads. I remember rushing back to my hotel room after a gig to watch her play their darling, Martina Hingis. To the naked eye they were playing the same game, but the more Venus dominated, the more the establishment commentators would critique her. They nitpicked everything. Her style, her lack of grace, her technique and the fact that her training wasn’t conventional — although she was doing what tennis players were supposed to do...win.

Experts have a hard time adjusting to things they’ve never seen. It undermines their expertise and convolutes their sense of history. They fight to marginalize what doesn’t make sense to them and would rather criticize what they’ve never seen other than accept the fact that they’re witnessing a shift in the foundation of sport. That’s the problem with James Harden.

Harden is an athlete without a template. There is no schematic to what he does and no present history to compare him to. He is better than basic analysis and more productive than their status quo. He’s the Einstein of Naismith’s game and the Paul Bunyan of future generations. How dare he score points at will and render the best point guard of this generation a mere sidekick. How does he Baryshnikov his way to “and 1’s” merely seconds after the threat of his pretentious step back three point jumper? It’s illegal! It’s cheating! It’s Heresy!! He’ll never win a championship accumulating points!

The problem with James Harden is that nobody has ever seen it. He’s the most polarizing figure in the sport and a blind spot for basketball purists. Funny, because he’s doing exactly what basketball players are supposed to do...win.

BamBam, robbie380, cbs1507 and 46 others like this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Good stuff man, well thought out.

Vivi, saleem, ramotadab and 1 other person like this.
  3. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

"I dont think you can make enough jumpers to win four series in a row".

D-rock and saleem like this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

agree, he should write more often...

Another Brother likes this.
  5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I have too oft tho't of the Williams sisters tho have not associated iron Mike (I am not a fight fan). There are others, 'different' by whatever metric yet brilliant at what they do. So, different? 'Tear'm down!' Is this Harden's lot? I don't know but it is the lot of others.

Thanks for this.

6. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Brillant.

But strip clubs, though.
    Not a role model for kids

:rolleyes:

7. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

It's an interesting issue. When one person is dominating in a particular field, what makes them heroes, or not?

MJ, Serena, Tiger, Federer... They were so far ahead when they were dominating, that the only competition was for who would come second. Yet they were universally adored.

Maybe it's about the narrative. Look at all the hype and media slobber over Russ's triple double season, getting a special award ceremony from The Big O, MVP, etc. He does it again this season... And nothing. Zero interest all of a sudden.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The big elephant is sidestepped here with his enormous amount of facial hair.

9. MultipleSauces

Great write up bruh

Another Brother and D-rock like this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Should be published.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I love this thread. Great post man