1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Perfect Storm

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Almu, Jun 27, 2000.

1. Almu

Almu Member

Let me preface by saying I am not afraid of much. I ride any rollercoaster anywhere! I have even bungi jumped in Virginia...twice! That said, I absolutely, positively, undoubidibily HATE the ocean. I fear it like nothing on this planet. Its my one weakness that I know cannot be fixed. And I swim like a fish! But I won't go anywhere near ocean water. A Mack truck couldn't push me in, I tell you!

I went to see The Perfect Storm by special screening at my job tonight and...well, I went with my girlfriend and...we decided to cancel a party boat dinner they had for the 4th of July. That is how bad it got me.

Its not an oscar caliber film by any stretch. But its well acted, the special effects are great and the water is deep, violent and SCARY! Just imagine yourself going to Galveston on a boat during Hurricane Alicia in 1983. And the movie led you to believe that there would be a different ending. It was surprising to me.
    If you liked the movie Air Force One, you will like this one. Its the same type of movie.

Ok, now go and see this movie. Its pretty good.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited June 27, 2000).]

2. Almu

Almu Member

I just heard they changed the ending from what I saw. What a bummer. I liked the original ending.

In anycase, the movie opens today. I hope you enjoy.

------------------

3. Dream34

Dream34 Member

Almu,
    What happened in the ending you saw. I am curious because I saw the movie tonight. I would like to compare. Our ending was very sad.

I thought the movie was slow and dragged out.

------------------
    Vice President of the Austin Croshere fan club.

4. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I also saw The Perfect Storm tonight. I have the same question as dream, what was the original ending? I've checked my movie sites and haven't heard anything. [​IMG]

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

5. Kim

Kim Member

How could the ending have been changed and no huge PR be spread? Please inform us of what you saw, Almu.

Anyhow, I also just came home from the movie. Agreed, it is pretty good, not great. More interesting than good, in the way "Any Given Sunday" was interesting. You learn stuff about fishing life though.

------------------
    PRO HOTTEST CHICKS FORUM!!

6. dc sports

dc sports Member

Kim, it actually happens a lot. Directors will often shoot two (or possibly more) endings for a movie, then show them to audiences early. After talking with various audiences, they decide which one to release, or if any final tweaking is needed. Almu probably saw the one that didn't get picked.

They just did this with a big movie recently, making a big change, to make it less sad, but I can't remember which one. The Wild Wild West changed from it's origional form -- for the worse.

The Sixth Sense was one that had some minor differences / changes -- ones the director decided he didn't like afterwards -- One in particular he gave too much away. (I didn't even notice, but I saw it the third time -- watch what Bruce Willis touches.)
    -----------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited July 01, 2000).]

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

I saw it. Was OK but not DVD worthy. I guess it wasn't exactly a true story (at least what happened on the Andrea Gail) though or who would have told it? I wanna know the original ending too.

8. grummett

grummett Member

Fatal Attraction's original ending had Glenn Close slitting her wrists and bleeding to death. Test audiences and studio execs absolutely hated it and it was changed to the one everybody saw.

------------------

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, when you watch DVDs, they sometimes have alternate endings and, almost always, deleted scenes.

However, instead of an alternate ending, Kevin Smith's (who's been tagged to write and direct the next Fletch, hopefully starring Jason Lee in the title role!!!) hilarious Mallrats has an alternate beginning revolving around T.S. and Brandy almost killing the governor at a function where her father was trying to get funding for his show.

About 30 minutes longer than the ending seen in theatres.

------------------
    Just because you're white and play basketball doesn't mean you're a Matt Bullard clone, despite idiotic accusations to the contrary.

visit www.swirve.com

10. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

imdb.com has loads of info. on movies, including deleted scenes, alternate versions, etc. It's the best movie site on the web.

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

11. Cinositna

Cinositna New Member

In the original ending to Little Shop of Horrors, Seymour is unable to save Audrey from Audrey II and ends up feeding her to the plant. Seymour then loses his showdown with the plant, and Audrey II and its offspring destroy New York in a really cool Godzilla-esque sequence. Test audiences couldn't accept the two lead characters dying. I guess they never saw Romeo and Juliet.

------------------
    red rum. red rum.

12. Almu

Almu Member

Guys,

The original ending I saw was the sad one you saw also.

Hmm...I saw the email going around at my job to all of us who attended the screening. It said that the ending was going to be changed because there was a split opinion on this one here. I voted to keep this ending and so did my boss and our other collegues.

Oh well, I guess they decided to keep the one we saw.

------------------

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Man, I thought this was the prototypical summer movie! Suspenseful almost from the beginning, very nerve racking.

4 stars here (out of 5, of course!)

------------------
    Just because you're white and play basketball doesn't mean you're a Matt Bullard clone, despite idiotic accusations to the contrary.

visit www.swirve.com

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

R95 -- A Fletch without Chevy Chase? I hope not! I had heard about Smith doing a new Fletch, but assumed it would include the REAL Fletch!

Although Chase has started to suck since he quit the drugs/had kids, and a new Fletch may not be that funny with him in it, I don't think they should call it Fletch without him.

------------------
    I Hate Every Bone in Your Body But Mine

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Freak,

Jason Lee, IMO, would be an excellent Fletch.

I'm just happy that Smith is directing it. I don't think he'll ever make a bad movie.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com