1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Paula Deen N-word controversy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jun 22, 2013.

1. giddyup

giddyup Member

What's the point? Look at the title of the thread.

2. amaru

amaru Member

1. What the **** is a "Black African"? For the thousandth time, the only true Africans are BLACK PEOPLE. Therefore, the use of the term "Black African" is not only foolish but redundant.

2. Yes there were black people who owned slaves (idk why that is surprising)....however it is pathetic that people bring this up in an attempt to excuse European involvement or to deal with their "guilt". This argument is similar to a child who gets caught with his/her hand in the cookie jar and then states that they say their sibling do it as if this somehow makes what they did any less wrong. Absolutely pathetic argument.

That kind of argument collapses three kinds of people into one group....perpetrators, collaborators, and victims. Why is it that the African is always blamed for his holocaust? There were Jews who collaborated with the Nazis, yet nobody says that the Jews "did it to themselves", there were First Nation people who collaborated with Europeans when they arrived on their shores yet nobody tells them that "they did it to themselves".

People don't say anything that foolish because they realize who the perpetrators of the atrocities truly were and that regardless of the collaborators, that DOESN'T MAKE THE VICTIMS RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWN OPPRESSION!!!!!

:mad::rolleyes:

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Isn't Paula Deen the dumb loud chick that messes with food somehow? Who cares? She wouldn't understand how insulting the word is if it hit her upside the head.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Member

You do realize that she is a huge Liber that even compared Michelle O to Jackie O once.

The reason I say that is because some of my liberal friends talking about her and they were acting like she surely must have been a repug to be so insensitive.

5. giddyup

giddyup Member

Neither my ancestors nor I owned slaves. Nor did every black person descend from people who were once slaves, but those who did may have been owned by a black slave-owner, so this is not a black-white group issue. I have no guilt.

6. thumbs

thumbs Member

While not defending Deen's stupidity, the statement above is illogical. There are thousands of whites in Africa who consider themselves Africans just as blacks here consider themselves, and rightly so, Americans.

Black Americans trace their American roots back hundreds of years as can African whites in Africa. If you really think that only black people can be Africans, then only Native Americans -- and even they emigrated from Asia and Europe during the Ice Ages -- can call themselves "Americans."

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Maybe you need to. I don't see slavery mentioned at all.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Who cares? You're presenting a red herring argument. Slavery is not the issue here. Stay on track.

9. giddyup

giddyup Member

It's more about racial issues than sexual harassment-- which is where you went with it.

10. giddyup

giddyup Member

That's preposterous. I simply pointed out two often overlooked and ignored facts about slavery ownership-- very few whites owned slaves and even some blacks owned slaves.

The whole white guilt thing is ridiculous.

11. giddyup

giddyup Member

Someone called Paula Deen "an old white lady of slavery." I simply corrected that description and made a couple of true observations about slavery. You can read it and just let it go if you want.

I would add that it ultimately is probably about slavery because we would not have the race issues we have without having had slavery.

12. Nook

Nook Member

We have far more worries than whether Paula Deen said ****** 35 years ago. From what I have read the lawsuit against her is a joke.

13. giddyup

giddyup Member

So classic! When you don't like the message, you go after the messenger.

Here's an article from Wikipedia. It says the first record of a black-owned slave goes back to 1654 and continued as a practice for 200 years through the Civil War.

Some of the practice was friendly; some was not.

http://www.theroot.com/views/did-black-people-own-slaves

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

The bigger issue behind it are the charges being levied against her and her business. The racial term is something that has been blown out of proportion.

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

You don't know that, it's just a guess. Also, somebody pointed out you referenced a white supremacist to get your so called numbers. Therein lies the problem with bringing up statistics from that time, a lot of it has been written by revisionist to make the North look heroic and the South look evil and vice versa.

16. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

17. amaru

amaru Member

No, there is nothing illogical about the statement you quoted.

There are genetic differences, that can be noted, traced and accounted before, between African dna, European, dna, asian, dna etc. The science is so advanced that you can even tell the difference between different African ethnic groups and this has been used to trace the ancestry of Maafa descendants to specific African ethnic groups (i.e Yourba, Akan, etc.)

A white person born and raised in Africa might consider themselves African, but I disagree. They are citizens of that nation to be sure......however, they are the descendants of Europeans and that is clearly visible in their genetic code. Their ancestors left the continent long ago and by adapting to their new environment became something else.....something non-African ( there is nothing wrong with this, but it is what it is.) The fact that they have been back on the continent for a few generations does ABSOLUTELY nothing to influence the changes in their DNA that occurred because their ancestors left.

I agree, that only First Nation people are the real Americans. I am a citizen of the USA, but I AM NOT a member of any American ethnic group. My ancestors were taken from the African continent 400+ years ago......I'm only 5-6 generations removed from the ships. I'm an African living in the Americas.

Remember, just because a cat has kittens in an oven...that doesn't make them biscuits. You ARE what your ancestors where........regardless of where you happen to pop out of your mother's womb :)

18. amaru

amaru Member

post #82

19. giddyup

giddyup Member

Agreed... but the thread is about the term she used not the lawsuit, I believe.

20. giddyup

giddyup Member

Didn't know and still don't know for sure if there is a controversy about the author of that piece. Posted two other black sources with the same kind of information.

The stats will never be known but it is pretty clear that whites did not universally impose slavery on blacks and some blacks imposed slavery on other blacks.... recorded for 200 years.