1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Paula Deen N-word controversy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jun 22, 2013.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iau-e6HfOg0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Mr. Brightside

For viewers sensitive to issues of race, be advised that the following piece contains gratuitous use of the "N" word. And by the "N" word, I mean ******. There, I said it.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dF1NUposXVQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

I didn't know who deen was till i saw her on jay leno. she seems to be a nice lady but the nostalgia of old white ladies of slavery shouldn't be overlooked. i understand that the period is sort of a different time for people who view it as some sort of fantasy, not slavery but the whole period in general. hence we have movies such as "Gone With the Wind" that takes the more famial view of slaves in relation to their masters.

what i think is offensive to blacks in general isn't paula's nostalgia for the period but paula's and others like her lack of understanding that slavery in the america's represents one of the most brutal institutions in human history.

anyone who disputes please go back to your history class and study the middle passage and slave ships. not even 50% of africans survived the voyage. i am focusing on this because obama recently visited one of those places in africa that was the last stop before the brutal voyage. one of his stops on his african trip that i feel is truly underappreciated.

5. itstheyear3030

6. giddyup

giddyup Member

Paula Deen was born about 75 years after slavery ended....

Black Africans were involved in selling slaves to the white traders...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtRaG_bokds

The percentage of whites in slave-states who owned slaves was less than 4.8% according to the link below so this crazy notion that the white race owes the black race anything is kind of folly when you recognize that a very slim percentage of white people living today shared in that history. This doesn't minimize the horror of slavery but it undercuts the notion that a whole race is responsible.

More noteworthy is the claim that 28% of freed blacks owned slaves themselves...

http://americancivilwar.com/authors/black_slaveowners.htm

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

How is this significant to the passage you quoted?

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

giddy, that was pathetic even for you.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

It's relevant because he put those three dots... after each sentence allowing you to read into however you see fit... If you call him on it expect the classic giddyup defense -- if he really loses it and looks like an angry old fool expect a prayer thread within the next 48 hours.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Those dots are called ellipses ;)

11. giddyup

giddyup Member

Specifically "the nostalgia of old white ladies of slavery..."

Paula Deen was never alive during a time when it was legal to own slaves.

The rest is just piling on on my part. Very few white people owned slaves and as a percentage a vastly higher percentage of free blacks owned slaves as compared to free whites.

12. giddyup

giddyup Member

#72 giddyup, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  13. CometsWin

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

What's the point of bringing up black slave owners? As far as I know black people were not the ones allowing personal and sexual harassment in their place of business, making sure their staff of waiters was all black to catch the feel of a specific era, etc. There's no point in bring that up in this conversation.

Let's not forget what this case is really about, the personal and sexual harassment suit. The media jumped on the derogatory word uttered by Deen and that is what is getting the most attention but it goes much deeper than that.

15. CometsWin

giddy is now taking to posting articles from white supremacist convicted murderers apparently. The author of the article is listed as Robert M Grooms. I tried to find out his credentials and it sounds like I'm not the only one who's tried. I found this post about Mr. Grooms.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/2012-...oses-confederate-license-plates-texas-25.html

Now this is getting really interesting. Apparently, many people on other websites have also been trying to find out just who this ROBERT M. GROOMS is as right wingers use his article - the one from apdst - all the time to soft pedal the issue of slavery and even justify it. He seems to be a celebrity in the far right white supremacist circles.

So I goodled him and got the same articles apdst seems to thrive on. So I added the word AUTHOR to the mans name and got this

Recidivist

It is an article from the publication CRIME AND DELINQUENCY October 1982 - in the same period of the other slavery articles. It says this about the author ROBERT M. GROOM

RECIDIVIST
    Robert M. Groom

The author is serving the eighth year of a life sentence for first degree murder at the Indiana State Prison, Michigan City.

Very interesting.

To the right of that information is a google search feature where you can click and get other articles by the same author. When you click on it you get the slavery articles that apdst cites.

Even more interesting is this as others have attempted to find out who Grooms is :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...d/Archive_74

this from a discussion on sources which are or are not reliable to be used on wikipedia

Kimmy, I am finding some of your comments difficult to make sense of, but I think your statement "It is Strange how Daivd Duke pops up on Google with Grooms" tells me what I need to know. Grooms appears to be a person without established notability whose work has been published, as far as we know, only in a far-right magazine dedicated to historical revisionism and on some personal websites which appear to be far-right and/or white supremacist in nature. In short, the work does not appear to come from a publisher "with a reputation for fact-checking and accuracy", as required by WP:RS, so it is not reliable an cannot be used. --FormerIP (talk) 19:52, 21 August 2010 (UTC)

So the articles from Groom were judged as "not reliable and cannot be used".

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

you're going out of your way to blame blacks for slavery. I think you're on to something with this whole blame the victim thing.

How many whites actually owned slaves is only part of the issue. It also matters how many did nothing to stop it. How many passed laws making possible, and keeping it possible etc.

There were plenty of whites who were abolitionists.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Slavery, as disgusting as it obviously was, is almost less shameful than the laws and societal structure that came after slavery. I hear people say all the time things like "it was ok back then, people didn't know any better!" Yeah, because the only people who got to make rules were whites and if blacks spoke up, tried to vote, or talked to a white lady you strung em up or beat them with bats. I had someone tell me that she understood what Paula Deen meant about the serving the wedding and that when she was growing up that was all a black person was good at. You couldn't hire them for anything else. It wasn't racism!

Yuck.

18. CometsWin

That's partly what is disgusting about this whitewashing of slavery. They seem to pretend it was a single moment in time and then poof, everyone was just fine. Like the Klan, Jim Crow, lynchings, poll taxes, violence, segregation, separate but equal, and denial of basic rights for 100+ years after slavery never happened. It's embarrassing to read someone post with that intention and then have them claim that's not their intention.

Like what in the hell do giddy's posts from an apparent murderer white supremacist have to do with Paula Deen? Nobody blamed Paula Deen for slavery and Sears, Food Network, etc didn't fire her for her role in slavery. They fired her because she said a bunch of crazy stupid **** about slaves being family and dressing up people as slaves at a wedding and oh by the way she's being sued for sexism and discrimination in court. Not exactly the publicity most people want associated with their brand.

19. giddyup

giddyup Member

I bring in a black scholar to lay down some truth about the very high rate of ownership of slaves by freed black men. Then I contrast that with the very low ownership rate of whites in that era. Then I bring in a well-known liberal icon to douse the flames dancing around Paula Deen...... yet you still think you can get away with calling those efforts "pathetic?"

Too funny and desperate on your part. Remember, according to mc mark the "facts have a liberal bias!"