1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The not so optimistic pick of 2021 draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sefril, Mar 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. sefril

sefril Member

With our current pick with the OKC swap option and our position in the league (bottom 3), there’s 48% (fourth eight percent!) chance that our pick goes to OKC.. sigh.. :(

so this thread will consist of the not so optimistic version of our draft night, with the scenario of our first round picks will be in the 20s (Miami and Portland picks).. Miami looks like been solid recently and will go to the playoff.. Portland too, they are in middle of the pack of the playoff teams and looks like it will stay like that.. so we pick in the 20-22 slot..

any draft scout expert that will share who is the steal of the draft in the 20’s pick? Maybe talented player that have a little bit of concern and he will slid to 20’s.. We got Clint Capela in the 25th pick so there’s hope that our pick will become a decent player.. oh and Kevin Porter Jr is the 30th pick (yeah red flags, but with two picks in the first round i think we can take the risks)..

ps: based on tankathon, this will be our first round pick since the Sam Dekker pick (2015, time flies).. so this will be the test of Mr Stone (and his team or maybe including Patrick Fertitta?) draft talent evaluation..

gah, bumbum09, Bo6 and 4 others like this.
  2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Aren’t we suffering enough already?

Magicsaint, burlesk, cbs1507 and 6 others like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Top 4 protected right?
    So If we are in the top three .. . . let's say the TOP 1
    Then Four people would have jump us . . .who are not in the top three for us to to lose it . . not possible
    So If we are #2 - three people would have to jump us
    If we are #4 . . .then any jumpers cause us to lose

I think we will be fine.
    How many times have 3 people jumped to the front?

2022 looks good: 2022 Own + DET pick if outside top 16* + POR pick if outside top 14* + BKN pick + MIL pick

https://spacecityscoop.com/2021/02/08/understanding-the-houston-rockets-2021-draft/

Rocket River

raining threes likes this.
  4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Did we jump a couple of spot in the lottery to get Yao? I remember Boston tanked and was suppose to be the number one but the lottery dycked them and they ended up with the 5thbpick. The media and fanbase up there were livid: they thought they were gettting KD or Oden

clos4life and DaDakota like this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I know it happens. . . but not enough to push the #1 guy out of the top 4
    I would be interested to see how many times any of the Top 3 worse records . .. ended up picking 5th or higher
    I suspect that it is not a high number. Right?
    That being the case - We keep our pick . . if we stay in the bottom 3 in the league
    Isn't this draft deep?
    The 4th pick should be pretty good right

Rocket River

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

happens every year
    just last season Cleveland had the second worst record but got pushed out the top 3 to the 5th selection

the Hawks had the 4th worst recordand got bumped to the 6th selection

Detroit had the 5th record and ended up with 7th selection

I still have faith

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Rocket River

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Ayo! Ayo! Ayo Dosunmu is our late pick fairytale guy if the top 4 doesn't work out.

The important thing to remember is that the 5th - 8th pick are frequently duds. Maybe our trade back forces us to make a smarter choice and that choice just might be Mr. Batman Dosunmu himself!

burlesk, Bo6 and sefril like this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Don't get too scared, but there is pretty much no data for your question.

Before 2019, the worst team could pick no worse than 4th.
    With the rule changes... uh oh!

Finishing worst doesn't give much difference in odds to picks for 3rd worst.
    http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

iono why brehs are so depressed. we can still bounce back and get the 9th seed! wood, kjp, and deepo on the rise!

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You're thinking about how lottery probabilities were in the distant past. The current format has only been around for 2 or 3 years.

All you have to think about is that :

1) If the Rockets have one of the three-worst records, there's a 52% they'll keep their pick. (so it's basically a coin-flip)
    2) If the Rockets have the 4th-worst record, there's a 48% chance they'll keep their pick. (so again... it's still basically a coin-flip)
    3) If they succeed with either of the 2 scenarios above, they'll pick in the top 4, but their probability of getting any of those 4 picks is about the same (so the probability of getting the 1st or the 4th pick would be about the same).

Another way to look at it is that the worst record has over 3x the chance of getting the 5th pick in the draft than they do the 1st pick and 4x the chance of getting the 5th pick than they do the 4th pick.

It's the NBA's way of saying "if you want to tank for the best or second best player, go ahead, but your chances aren't all that great".

12. sefril

sefril Member

yeah sorry bro, with our infinity lose streak i think have to prepare for this kind of situation.. it really sucks from being a playoff contender into one of the worst team for only couple of months..

yeah, everytime i go to the simulation draft on tankathon, too many times that our pick goes to OKC and we end up with Miami pick.. thanks for the info of the last draft, sir..

This is kind of face that i would make if our pick falls to 20 something :D

Thank you Dr for your explanation.. yeah, our pick chances is really not that great.. :(

13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

There will be some solid players in the early 20’s when we pick if we have to trade with Miami. Just not ‘sure things’ so scouting and evaluation will be paramount. It should be a young interesting team to watch next year either way.

Corrosion and saleem like this.
  14. sefril

sefril Member

Thanks for your input Mr Don! Based on your cideo, Ayo Dosunmu is intriguing, good speed and athleticism, although rather thin but seems like muscular build.. when i check on the website he’s a bit turnover prone (but he wouldn’t handle the ball much with Wall and KPJ being the point guard).. oh and his height is 6’5? From your video i think that he’s not that tall.. Is he Donovan Mitchell type that looks smaller than his listed height? But maybe i’s just my perspective..

btw, Ayo means “come on” or “let’s go” in my language.. so if we pick him, i already prepared his theme song.. :D bro Jontro as the man of culture knows this song too..:)

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I simmed tankathon one time this morning and we got #1 so I left the site. I hate when it takes like 5x to just keep our pick.

Patience likes this.
  16. JD88

JD88 Member

Isiah Jackson.

I say that as one who championed drafting Immanuel Quickley last summer...

Guy will be an all-star one day, by virtue of his defensive prowess.

17. TimDuncanDonaut

On the simulated mode. Whenever, we lose the pick; we end up with Kai Jones at #20. Then Daishen Nix at 22.

I keep hitting the button; the good scenarios are usually Evan Mobley or Jalen Suggs. Took lot of tries to finally get Cade at #1. I'm also not very lucky; so it's a good thing I'm not the one choosing the lottery balls.

Side rant:

Jalen Suggs
    Jalen Green
    Jalen Johnson

o_O. Jalen Rose wasn't kidding about this name being popular.

#17 TimDuncanDonaut, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    don grahamleone and Patience like this.
  18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

alright and i've thought about it. you have to be so BAD that the league has no choice but to give you a top pick because your badness is hurting the leagues value.

BigShasta likes this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

FOLKS the Iron law of probability states that we are either DUE or DOOMED - this is what Aron Baynes discovered.

dmoneybangbang and Nook like this.
  20. fattz

fattz Member

Isn’t the lottery done behind closed doors. If so I think we have some “good well” with the league because of the Harden trade.