1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"The Myth" Revisited: Aren't You Glad Now???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 7, 2010.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Just wanted to ever-so-briefly revisit the Rockets' decision to make the McGrady trade in lieu of doing nothing.

Aren't you glad the Rockets decided not to just let McGrady's contract expire in order to open up an otherwise inadequate amount ($7-9M) in cap room for this summer?

First, the Rockets never would have even been in the running for a guy like Bosh.

Second, that amount of cap room would have meant that Scola, Lowry and Hayes would be gone.

Third, that cap room wouldn't even have gotten the team a player as good as Scola on this open market. See Gooden, Drew.

Looks like the Rockets' front office followed some good advice. ;)

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=168495&highlight=myth

Regardless of how bad those picks end up being, Daryl Morey still netted the team Jordan Hill, a potential upgrade to the Rockets' 2011 first round pick, and another 2012 first round pick. All for taking on one more year of the overpaid-yet-serviceable Jared Jeffries and dumping a (now we see) useless expiring contract.

Let alone the fact that the team also managed to upgrade from Carl Landry to Kevin Martin. Even if Sacramento never got involved, the two-team iteration (with the Rockets taking back the expiring contract of Larry Hughes instead of Martin and Hilton Armstrong) still put the Rockets way ahead of where they would have otherwise been by attempting to clear cap room.

How many teams are busting down the Knicks' door begging to give up valuable assets in a sign-and-trade of Tracy McGrady? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Oh, yeah. Just because I only recently learned how to use the "Search" feature on this BBS, I wanted to uncharacteristically pat myself on the back for being one of the first (if not THE first) to suggest the basic framework of the Rockets-Knicks trade. This was posted on May 31, 2009, a good 8-9 months prior to the trade deadline:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=4557419&postcount=356

Sorry. I'll shut up now.

But at least be glad that Daryl Morey and the Rockets had the vision to avoid what would otherwise now be an absolutely miserable summer of 2010. If you wish, think of how you would feel if the Rockets had just made the two-team deal with the Knicks in February and then tomorrow traded Carl Landry and the signed-and-traded corpse of Larry Hughes in exchange for Kevin Martin. While many of you would be sad to see Carl go (we all were), I bet most rationale people here would be pretty damn ecstatic.

Take solace, Rockets fans. Things are still looking up for this franchise.

7 people like this.
  2. Htownplaya94

Htownplaya94 Member

Yup if we let McGrady go without a trade, we wouldn't be on the cusp of being contenders.

3. RedOctober67

RedOctober67 Member

Finally a consoling post! Its good to see that someone sees the brighter side of things.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

yea yea yea

you're smart, we get it :p

but you also wanted us to get Hinrich

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

It's hard to argue with the value of the New York picks, now.

The Rockets have a strong core and a lot of growth pieces in place for the future.

Bosh was always a longshot, but the fact that we were legitimately in it proves we have the pieces to make something work.

6. Htownplaya94

Htownplaya94 Member

I know, it seems like most people on the GARM are pessimists.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't consider a 2 person trade of Landry for Martin as an upgrade.

Except for that I agree with your post.

8. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

I loved that trade it was a work of art. And very smart seeing how Morey and them knew the 2010 free agency would be a crap-shoot for anyone involved. We scored big last season.

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

No need to pat yourself on the back, you are one of the few people here that make sense ALL of the time. Bigtime respect from me. Yes you were right.

Bosh or no Bosh, I'm still excited for this season. Morey has acquired much talent and I expect this team to compete. The thing I hope for more than anything right now is HEALTH.

I'm ready to prove to the league that we'll be there when it counts

#9 mikol13, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  10. Nero

Nero Member

Kudos to you Sir!

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Don't know about contenders just yet, without Yao fully healthy we are nothing.

But I do see that the Rockets made a wise choice by trading Tracy and getting back significant assets to still be in the running at a free agent yet not risking the teams future to do so.

Never in a million years would I have thought Tracy would net what he has with us only giving up Carl Landry, who we might have replaced with Patterson.

Here's to Morey and Bima! The true brains of the operation... :grin:

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yep, if they did, BimaThug would be rolling over in his grave now. :)

13. Raven

Raven Member

I'm surprised you didn't schedule a press conference to announce this thread.

1 person likes this.
  14. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

Kevin Martin was a Huge upgrade too are team it was a wonder we only had to give up Landry. Sacramento probably only let him go because he was hurt and him and tyreke weren't meshing. Plus they were desperate for low post presence. Seeing how they drafted Cousins and Whiteside I don't know they would that trade now.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Hey, now! Cut me some slack. :grin:

I admit I was wrong on Aaron Brooks (as far as his continued development during the 2009-10 season). That said, I still would have no problem with Kirk Hinrich as a Houston Rocket. (Personally, I think the Wizards totally got over on Chicago in that deal.)

Please, no more "Memorial" threads in my honor!!! :p

Yeah. I actually had a deal in place with ESPN to announce this thread tomorrow at 9 PM EST. But then some a-hole took my time slot! ;)

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

17. thino

thino Contributing Member

good stuff BT

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

LOL :grin:

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with proving your credibility in a tactful way. :)

Now, let's see DD revisit some of his old thoughts to see how right they were (assuming he's had a thought that he didn't later contradict himself).

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No need to do that....

Good thread Bima......

Glad the Rox did the smart thing and didn't follow all the other teams chasing a few free agents and jettising talent.

And, I too, would have liked Hinrich here.

DD