1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The moving picks are back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Agent94, May 1, 2019.

1. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I was keeping a close eye on the game because I was expecting some bad calls. For the most part it was pretty good, except for one thing. There were lots of moving picks by the Warriors. I wasn't even looking for them at first until I noticed the pattern and counted 13 points scored off moving picks. I'm pretty sure I would find a lot more if I was intently looking for them.

There was one critical point in the 4th quarter where we were down 3 and Green committed back to back moving picks to up the score to 8. One was a Karl Malone bear hug on EG to free up Curry for a three. The next time down the court in transition he did a pick/hold and then push off to get wide open and threw a lob for a dunk.

Also is this a thing now or only the Warriors. I was taught to keep my hands to my sides when setting a pick. Draymond will stick his elbows out as wide as possible bend his knees and push. He looks like an offensive lineman setting a block. McKinney did the same thing when he elbowed Rivers out of bounds on a cheap shot pick in the first quarter.

jcmoon, UTSA2step, Tfor3 and 3 others like this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thanks for making this post. i don't have the patience to thoroughly reflect on fuking silver and this rigged league right now. but despite the consensus here that the officiating was stellar, there were 2 subtle things that stood out to me. and both benefited GS of course. the moving screens you've already brought up. the other is that worrier players were allowed to go over the back on rebounds all night long. particularly on tucker, on at least 6 different possessions, 3 of which he actually ended up on the floor. no calls of course

Spacemoth, Tfor3, basso and 1 other person like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

it sucks but this is part of what it is to be a good screener. tbh just keeping your hands to the side and assuming thats going to be a good enough screen isn't going to cut it. Draymond is doing what hes supposed to in your examples.

This is actually a huge issue on what's struggling the rockets in this series. They're not getting the switches they want because the rockets don't have a lot of good screeners or they're too soft to execute the actual switch properly

ramotadab likes this.
  4. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Yes. I noticed this too and almost put it in this post, but wanted to focus on the illegal screens. When you have 4 or 5 guys jumping for the ball the refs can make a no call and no one will notice unless you know what to look for. The Warriors had a gang rebounding strategy against our small line up where guys came running and jumping in from the wings to attempt rebounds. Many times these guys went over the back without a call. Of course this is Capela's fault because he is soft :rolleyes:.

pippendagimp likes this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

When green or anybody else sets a pick like that just push their a$$ right into whoever is shooting.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe that's Kerr's strategy. Obviously since jumping into Harden's shooting space worked last year it was going to work again. So that was Game 1. Rockets complain, so you switch to something else. Game 2, moving picks. Then move to something else for Games 3 and 4 or go back to jumping into Harden's space because the furor might have died down somewhat.

pippendagimp likes this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

And don't forget their "Have Draymond poke the opponent's best player in the eye" strategy. The refs never seem to catch that one.

8. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Easier said than done when you are Eric Gordon's size trying to get around Draymond Green who is literally set up like an offensive lineman pass blocking.

Watch this play @ 7:55 in the video. Green passes to Durant in the corner. While all eyes are on Durant, Curry push off on Gordon and runs to his spot while Green sets the block taking out Gordon and Capela. Nice play, but completely illegal.

#8 Agent94, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

the play you're specifically citing, that's not illegal tbh. that's part of being a screener i referenced in the post above.

the only thing you can do is fight through is as best as you can or obviously have the switch effective enough so that your defense recovers in time. that's the whole point of a switch everything scheme anyways. or you could always try the flop approach but that screen isn't illegal.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If tehy
    I saw this play, other than wrestling Green down with a greco-roman suplex and causing a confrontation, I don't know how the ROckets are supposd to avoid this bullshit. I think it actually might be worth it, let Shump or some expendable do it to draw attention to it.

11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

It's not a moving pick but rather a "box out" that looked moving only because this team is a step slower.

12. bmelo

bmelo Member

Just stop it we got outplayed in every way

13. Agent94

Agent94 Member

So you can grab a guy and push him while moving. I don't buy it. That's an illegal screen.

Remlap likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

there isn't much grabbing going on there. there's no such thing as a 100% stationary screen. there's going to be natural movement on both sides like the one in that play you cited. part of being a good screener is doing what green is doing. not illegal at all there and if you're expecting that to be called you're going to be severely disappointed.

those weren't the reasons the rockets lost. citing this really looks pretty weak tbh. especially when the rockets have other glaring issues they need to correct or be alot better at, all above this

15. SemisolidSnake

I watched that about 10 times, and I wish the Texans had offensive linemen that could stop a guy like that. That was definitely a football play on a basketball court.