1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Morey Hype (no bashing)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrooksBall, Feb 16, 2010.

Tags:
?

What is the effect of the hype?

1. Positive

67 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. Negative

52 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. Neutral

67 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Effects of the Morey Hype

Do you guys think all the hype around Morey has a positive, negative or neutral effect as far as it pertains to negotiating with other teams?

I would guess neutral but it doesn't seem too far-fetched to think it could have a slightly negative effect on occasion.

I can't see how it could possibly help the cause.

Thoughts?

#1 BrooksBall, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

To think that our hype of Morey even comes to the mind of other GM's is, in my mind, pretty ridiculous. These are professionals, if any GM is getting trade ideas or feedback from this board, they should be fired.

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Does the concept of Morey Hype even leave the BBS? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere outside of here and maybe Bill Simmons.

4. BrooksBall

How about the effect the media has on things?

Morey is innovative, cutting edge, breaking grounds, owning other teams in trades (I'm not sure that has ever been said even in the Lowry deal but it could happen at some point), etc...

Do you think some other GMs may get a bit jealous or hesitant to deal with him?

5. RocketMania1991

DM is a great GM, but I think we sometimes give him to much credit.

Even for all the great things he's done for this team up to this point he has yet to make any drastic franchise changing moves.

He's been great with finding jewels in the rough with Landry/Budinger/Brooks and our other players, but his true abilities as a GM will be shown in the near future.

6. BrooksBall

Cool but what do you think about the thread topic?

How do you think the hype (deserved or not) affects trade negotiations, if at all?

7. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Im not sure what to think about Morey.. IDK if its me but the guy has ways of gettin blockbuster deals on but never finds a way to close them out. Its crazy

8. choujie

choujie Member

Doesn't matter. Jerry West was hyped a lot more than Morey, that didn't prevent him from getting what he wanted.

NBA GMs are all having too big a ego to doubt themselves because of other GMs.

1 person likes this.
  9. BrooksBall

I figured somebody would raise that question and thought about addressing it in the OP.

Maybe "hype" wasn't the best choice of words.

I do believe that Morey has been characterized as some sort of super nerd that knows how to evaluate players in ways beyond the means of most, if not all, other GMs. It may not be a top story in the media but other GMs definitely hear and know about him. They'll also see stuff like smoothie's video, for example.

Do you think that makes those other GMs jealous or hesitant to deal with him? Or do you think it will have that impact in the future?

Is he viewed as the class nerd in the GM circle?

10. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

Gets way too much credit

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Well, let's see: did the Lakers's GM got any accolades for landing Gasol? How about Ainge for getting Allen and Garnett? Portland's GM just got Camby from the Clippers, exactly what that team needed.

Folks, Morey is good, but let's not get overboard here.

12. BrooksBall

I changed the title to "Effects of the Morey Hype" and seemed to save the change successfully but nothing happened.

Does it take a while for the change to process or something?

13. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

I think they just think about things as long and hard as they can before making a move but yes, I think they may be a little wary when dealing with a shrewd guy like Morey.

14. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I remember when I had a reputation in my fantasy leagues of being the shrewdest owner, it didn't have any effect on people trading with me. I mean if you really are the shrewdest GM, then you should be able to negate any negative effects of the hype with your fellow GMs anyway.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I'll go with negative. Maybe only slightly. But if Billy Beane found some issues at time, I'd say Morey will encounter them at a much smaller level (cause he's nowhere near what Beane achieved yet...but at the same time, he is bringing something new to the table, and the "hype" has already been around for a while. i.e. Battier article last year)

16. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

lol, what a set of poll results so far.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Nice poll.

Positive 28 33.33%
    Negative 29 34.52%
    Neutral 27 32.14%

I voted negative.

18. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

wow what a even results.

1 person likes this.
  19. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

30 positive
    30 negative
    30 neutral
    right now.

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Yeah, it is a tie so far at 29. lol

Posters cannot make their mind about Morey.