1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Missing Piece the Rockets Need to Help James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Asian Sensation, May 12, 2019.

1. Asian Sensation

I’ve never heard of The Ringer but I ran across this article and it’s very well written IMO so I thought I’d share.

A lot of stuff we already know, some that we may not, some that we may have forgotten about and some other interesting factors to keep in mind moving forward.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/...97/houston-rockets-missing-piece-james-harden

“Harden is one of the smartest players in the league. He can see the differences between his supporting cast and Curry’s. He even told Curry at the All-Star Game that he didn’t want to keep playing this way.”

———————
    That quote stood out to me the most. I think we all kinda forgot about this in the midst of Harden having another stellar regular season and going after his 2nd MVP. I know at least I did. Makes me wonder when Harden said he knows exactly what we need... does that mean a new offense thus no more MDA?

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

are we bout to trade paul for curry? shiiiiiii

#2 Jontro, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

AD and still having some sort of supporting cast and AD has be healthy and durable. Fantasy.

4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

he needs someone :cough paul mda cough: to give him good looks, and a consistent scorer to ease the scoring load. it takes a lot out of any star player to have career year after career year. i believe he DOES burn out in the po's cuz of this. and they ddi try to get him what he needs. first with dwight. worked the 1st year. same with paul.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Help James Harden? Shouldn’t we be trading him?

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. TheSource

TheSource Member

Alright here me out guys

We should try and get Draymond Green this off-season

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

design an offense or bring in the pieces necessary that will allow Harden to go back to taking 17-20 shots a game with 30% usage instead 25-30 shots a game on 40% usage

get him back to having over 50% of his threes being assisted on instead of 16% like it was before MDA

be willing to take more midrange shots, because I do not believe a scorer on Harden’s level should be restricting himself to just layups and threes...u need the entire package sometimes in the playoffs

8. Asian Sensation

Chris Paul was supposed to be that guy. I thought he’d be handling the ball more and running the offense with Harden playing off the ball more.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

CP3 was never a great fit, him and Harden are just great at what they do so they made it work.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Good article. I like tjarks. He normally has a well informed opinion.

11. Asian Sensation

Between CP3, Harden and MDA it’s hard to believe the offense is based upon taking turns ISO-ing. You can blame MDA all you want, you can keep saying CP3 is old and he’s regressed, Harden can say he doesn’t like the type of offense he’s playing but the thing is it doesn’t have to be this way and it shouldn’t. It’s inexcusable to have 3 brilliant offensive minds... yes, all 3 of them including MDA (it’s true) and not be able to collaborate and come up with a better offense.

If Harden doesn’t want to be that ball dominant ISO guy he doesn’t have to. However, he has to be willing to take a back seat and defer to CP3 when it comes to PG duties. That means no more Harden walking the ball up and dribbling the clock down to 7 seconds before he finally decides to make a move which is 1 of 3 things. 1) Crossover step back 3 pointer, 2) Drive to the basket for a layup/CC alley oop or 3) Pass to Gordon or Tucker in the corner for 3.

Those 3 scenarios are not only basic and predictable but the biggest problem is that means nobody is touching the ball except for Harden or maybe only 1 other guy.

Can CP3 carry the load and play the point for 30 minutes? I think so at least I sure hope so and since we’re paying him a fortune and he’s likely not going anywhere why not let him?

Boils down to can Harden be willing to defer and relegate primary ball handling and creating to CP3. Not calling Harden selfish cause he self admittedly doesn’t like playing hero-ball but I think that’s all he knows. Ever since he was brought here since his first year he’s had to be the guy that does it all he either scores or creates and everything runs through him. It’s been that way for the last 7 years so it’s hard to change.

Playing off the ball will be foreign for Harden but it would do this team wonders and help him in the long run. He’s gotta be willing to work though. Like move and work without the ball.

Imagine Harden being the one setting screens and popping back for a 3, setting a screen and cutting to the hoop or running the baseline trying to get open, fighting through traps, or him being the one to spot up in a corner. Kinda hard to imagine right? Cause he’s never tried so we don’t see it. Sounds like I just described Klay Thompson... one of the most if not the most effective guys to play off the ball.

Nobody said he can’t change/play different roles and if he’s willing and wants to do it then why not? If you’re gonna defer ball handling and play making duties to anybody there’s not many better than CP3.

12. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

It is always funny to me when someone consistently has vague excuses and explanations. The good news for people who believe this idiot is that he "knows what we need to do," and that he doesn't "want to keep playing this way."

As for me.... if I didn't want to keep doing something, I would stop. If I didn't, it would make me dumb.

What is James' newest excuse for his playoff disappearance(s)?

13. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

The missing piece is... a heart.

beard4life likes this.