1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The mavs cant beat LA with Kidd starting

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by leebigez, Apr 1, 2011.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I know its a harsh thing to say about a future hall of fame player. I also know how many feel about a pure pg who control tempo and that stuff. The point is, Kidd is not good enough at this point to garner attention and balance the game up. Offensively and defensively he's a detriment to them beating the lakers.

This is the same dynamic when the shane was on the rockets except maybe even worse. Kidd can't half-ass guard Kobe, but Kobe can guard him and actually rest on offense. The Mavs have been out rebounded and dominated by the lakers size and this is a big part of it.

When the coach plays the small backcourt with Kidd and Roddy or JJ and Terry, it lets the lakers backcourt off the hook. Carisle has know to be stubborn about his lineups and vets and it might take something drastic like it did when he decided to play the rookie prince against mcgrady. They need to start Marion and roddy or marion and terry against the Lakers. That would force Kobe to guard a more potent offensive player and a player of his size.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Before the season, Kidd indicated he was very open to coming off the bench. Then Roddy got injured, which changed everything and set back the development of the Mavs rotation. Then Butler's injury completely nuked their legit championship hopes.

I agree with you. Kidd is just too far over the hill to be a starter for the Mavs. It's crazy the guy is still playing 33 mins/game. If he isn't already, Kidd will be running on fumes in the playoffs. At best, Mavs will make the 2nd round and lose to the Lakers (assuming the Spurs don't continue collapsing and finish #1).

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I watched them play earlier in the season when the Mavs were rolling and thought the same thing then. Personally, I think they should just put Terry back at the starter. He makes them a much more difficult team to defend while he's at the point.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Terry's perfect role is being a gun off the bench. He needs to stay there and finish games instead of starting. No use in messing up a good thing IMO.

In the playoffs, it will crucial that Beaubois give the Mavs 25-30 mins of quality basketball. He's the kind of player that can abuse Derek Fisher if they meet the Lakers in the 2nd round. I haven't watched the Mavs much since he came back and I'm not sure how well he is rounding into form.

Call me crazy, but if the Mavs meet the Blazers, I think they could lose in the 1st round again. Depends on their guard play.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

the mavs are a great team b/c their bench is explosive offensively, and that is primarily due to terry. you cannot take away that identity now late in the season going into the playoffs.

i do agree with you about jason kidd RIGHT NOW. earlier on, i thought he will be fine b/c he was making his 3s (that is his primary job on offense when he is not a playmaker). he shot around 39% in the first month and a half when the mavericks were absolutely unbeatable.

however, since then, he's been off and on. this month, he's shooting 29% from 3s. kidd plays too many minutes, and given a lot of open 3s. so for him to shoot 29%, it really limits them offensively and puts a ton of pressure on their defense.

if anything, they need to play barea more at the PG if kidd is struggling. but then you have another problem. jkidd is still a great defender at this stage of his career. you take him out, you lose that.

ultimately, mavs aren't winning anything this year.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if kidd hits his 3s he'll be fine. there isn't another defensive pg on that team so what do you gain. i'd ride him out, dance with who you brought.

7. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

they can't beat LA. PERIOD.