1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Lowe Post (Rockets Mention) 12/15/16

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #1draftpik, Dec 15, 2016.

1. #1draftpik

#1draftpik Member

DreamShook and ico4498 like this.
  2. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Thanks for the podcast. Anyone who knows basketball felt the players would play well in D'Antoni's
    scheme. I felt there was enough defensive players to mix into the game to be successful. It's the
    injury aspect that had people hesitant. Many people expect injuries to Gordon/Ryno/Bev/Nene/D-Mo.
    The win total would reflect the injury aspect. I expected improvement/progress from Harrell/KJ/Dekker/Capela. Capela started the season poorly endurance-wise; but has
    made tremendous progress since. If Harrell & Dekker continue to progress by playoff
    time.....this could get very interesting. I wish Bzdelik would take KJ under his wing like
    he has with Harrell. That one-on-one time would do wonders for this team come playoff
    time. Better sooner rather than later.

Our thirst for knowledge(info) exceeds our cup

#2 Jatman20, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    kwakmeister likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Interesting listen.

It's strange that Gordon is considered a bad defender.. He doesn't look like some one who has ever slacked on D. It's weird people keep bringing it up.

I know before the season everyone thought the Rockets were going to be bad defensively, and they always point to MDA, Harden, Anderson and Gordon(for some reason) as the biggest offenders. But I look at this team, and down the roster, are decent to good defenders:

Ariza, Bev, Capela, Dekker, Brewer*, Nene (in spots), Gordon, Montrezl (not great but gets blocks) all solid defenders. Even Anderson, who is awful defensively, is an underrated rebounder

I think Rockets being bad defensively has been overstated.

joomba and Jatman20 like this.
  4. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Before the season on another site i guesstimated the Rockets DRtg at 106.42. That would have put
    Houston between 13th-14th best in the league last yr. Gordon has been labeled bad (see him better
    than that), Ryno has been a notoriously bad PnR defender (due to poor lateral movement), To this
    point Ryno hasn't been exposed in PnR yet, Harden when playing off ball defense (tends to lose track
    of his assignment in the past). Harden has always rated well in PnR, one-on-one in the perimeter and
    post up defense. Without Bev and playing so many games on the road will give you bad stats defensively.
    Bev back & home games will help the DRtg stat.

5. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Zach Lowe I'm not a huge fan of BUT he's a fair critic.
    The other guy on the podcast is a complete hater. I hate when "experts" get on a podcast and talk about a team they have no info about.
    Example:
    - Saying Gordon is a horrible defender; Gordon came into the league as a defender and was also a solid defender in the PO againt GS.
    - BEV took $6 mill because that's what the market was for him at the time and not to mention he was coming off serious knee surgery.
    - Dude said "rockets will came back down to earth" and "won't keep this same pace", if it was 10-15 games in and they were shooting 70% I would believe it BUT it's 26 games in and have had the toughest schedule by far so for someone to say that is completely moronic.
    The team you see right now is who they are and will be consistently. They've won tough games and find ways to win defensive games. A team that's bound to come back to earth regresses, rockets have improved So how is that flukeish?
    It's been 26 games, what more do you want?

#5 ROXonROXonROX, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Deuce, Chamillionaire, D-rock and 8 others like this.
  6. RocketsFan92

RocketsFan92 Member

preach it brother

ROXonROXonROX likes this.
  7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't consider it being a hater to say they'll come back down to earth

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  8. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

How is it not hating? It's 26 games into the season and he's basically saying it's alla fluke instead of giving us the props we deserve. In that case every teams success thus far is a fluke until god knows how many games in. Coming back down to earth is a team like CHI who was leading the league in 3 point % and have since fallen dramatically, not a team who's ID is to shoot 3's and layups, play 15+ games on the road to start the season, and beat high quality teams at their place. Tell me how that's a fluke? It's cool I'll wait.

9. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Let me drop some knowledge for those who think Rockets are just on a flukish streak:
    These are the Rockets stats versus the other top 4 teams in the NBA:

HOU (18 Defense)
    -112.8PPG
    - 47.1 FG%
    - 14.5 3PM
    - 38.4 3P%
    - 11.4 OREB
    - 44.6 REB

- 25.4 AST
    - 8 STL
    - 4.7 BLKA
    - 6.9 (+/-)

GSW (8 Defense)
    - 117.8PPG
    - 49.5 FG%
    - 12 3PM
    - 38.1 3P%
    - 9.3 OREB
    - 44.3 REB
    - 31 AST
    - 9.4 STL
    - 4.7 BLKA
    - 11.7 (+/-)

CAVS (14 Defense)
    - 110PPG
    - 46.2 FG%
    - 13.3 3PM
    - 39.9 3P%
    - 9.8 OREB
    - 44.2 REB
    - 22.1 AST
    - 7 STL
    - 4.4 BLKA
    - 7.7 (+/-)

SAS (5 Defense)
    - 103.7PPG
    - 46.8 FG%
    - 8.8 3PM
    - 39.6 3P%
    - 8.8 OREB
    - 42.2 REB
    - 23.5 AST
    - 8.1 STL
    - 5.5 BLKA
    - 6 (+/-)

LAC (4 Defense)
    - 109.9PPG
    - 46.7 FG%
    - 10.3 3PM
    - 38.6 3P%
    - 9.7 OREB
    - 43.7 REB
    - 22.5 AST
    - 8.7 STL
    - 4.8 BLKA
    - 8.8 (+/-)

Rocket are up there with the top teams, yea the defense isn't with the rest but they have improved significantly from the beginning of the year and were #4 in the month of December.