1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The ideal place for Chris Webber

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moestavern19, May 15, 2001.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sacramento's Kings station KHTK 1140 last night made a couple interesting points about Chris Webber's situation . They Named 4 team as possible Places Webber could go . New York , Orlando , Houston , Indiana . And I was thinking Indiana? what the heck... then they started talking about how Webber could go to Indy in a Sign and Trade and the Kings could pick up a few young players to go up front such as an Al Harrington , Jermaine Oneal , Bender etc... . Also Webber would be back with Jalen Rose , his former College team mate .

They also Said if Webber simply wanted to sign elswhere Houston would be the best place , Houston is a big city , and when your in the Middle of the country it cuts air time in half because there are no Coast-to-Coast 5 hour flights . If New York was involved it would have to be a sign and trade , Probably giving up Camby which the Knicks might want to keep . Orlando already hit the Jackpot getting Tracy McGrady , Grant Hill and The Rookie of the year Mike Miller , How lucky could they possibly get? Webber would not get a whole lot touches there .

Indiana or Houston would be the best place for Webber to go right now . But Indy is a smaller market than Houston and Webber might want to be in a bigger city . The fact is Webber is probably going to leave Sacramento and if the Kings dont trade him we could be the only good team with enough cap room to give him close to what he would get if he resigned .

------------------
    C-Webb ,
    C-Webb Run ,
    Run C-Webb! , Run to Houston!

2. Live

Live Member

You know what, Indy isn't as big as Houston, but it's a whole lot closer to his family in Detroit.

Kind of be the best of 2 worlds:

1. Play with a college (and I think Rose and Webber have known each other since Middle School or something) buddy

2. Be close to family

------------------

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Thats true , Webber would be close to Detriot and He'd be playing with Rose . Also the Kings would kill for Jermaine Oneal and Either Bender or Harrington . But Houston is in the middle of the Country and its a big City with plenty of Soul Food .

------------------
    C-Webb ,
    C-Webb Run ,
    Run C-Webb! , Run to Houston!

4. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Member

The "playing close to home" card is so over-rated.

These guys make millions. It's not like they drive home on the weekends or anything. Phone bills are not a factor. Air travel is no problem.

They could live in Japan and still see their family just as much as they did when they weren't millionaires.

------------------

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Besides, Indianapolis might have SOME diversity, but is still primarily white-boy Republican country. So why leave Sacramento?

Don't think so? Pan across the crowd at the next Pacers game on TV.

------------------

6. Digaida

Digaida Member

Oh and one more big thing....Houston has Steve and Cat. Steve alone has more potential in his right hand than Indiana's team. I say that because I think Steve can become one of the greatest(not a stretch mind you). Miller is declining(not in playoffs though [​IMG] ), they do have Rose and Oneal though. They also are in the east which would make it easier on Webber.

I still think: Steve'sTalent+Potential+Houston'sCapSpace= Webber in pajamas

It's an exciting time for the rockets fan nonetheless.

------------------

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Last time I checked Indiana wasn't too big on soul food. Houston has a soul food place on every other corner.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

8. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Hey SpaceCity, remember when Ken Griffey Jr. wanted to be "closer to home," so he signed with an Ohio team halfway to his family's FL residence while precluding Tampa and Miami from trade negotiations. I'm continually amazed at the way the other half-- er, 2 percent-- lives!

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

9. haven

haven Member

Or what about Francis? He wanted to be closer to his grandmother in Baltimore than Vancouver... and I guess that technically speaking, Houston is closer. But come on... what's the differences in a 6 hour and a 4 hour flight now and then?

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

10. Band Geek Mobster

I forgot where I heard/read this, but another reason Webber might go to Indiana is because his childhood hero was Isiah Thomas.

------------------
    You must always give the Dream back his change!

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Do you know that for a fact?

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

C'mon you do the math [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

13. Band Geek Mobster

Indianapolis isn't some hillbilly city in the middle of nowhere people, they do have some diversity, maybe not as much as Houston, but they do have it.

Also whatever they lack in diversity, they more than makeup with Webber being able to play with an old college teammate and get coached by a man he looked to during his career as an advisor in Thomas.

I couldn't find the article I mentioned earlier, but this is good enough

I'm not suggesting that Webber's going to or should go to Indiana, but I am saying that it's not out of the realm of possibility that he would go there.

------------------