1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

"The Freak" accepted money while in College

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROCKSS, Jan 16, 2002.

1. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- NFL players Jevon Kearse and Johnny Rutledge testified Tuesday that while still in college, agent William "Tank" Black gave them thousands of dollars so they would sign with Black's company after turning pro.

"I was a recipient of periodic cash payments from Tank Black," said Kearse, now an All-Pro defensive lineman with the Tennessee Titans.

Black is being tried in federal court on charges that he stole millions from the college football players he represented. If convicted, the 42-year-old Black faces up to 25 years in federal prison.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Jerry Sanford has estimated the total amount of money missing ranges between $12 million and $14 million.

The players did not testify Tuesday how much money -- if any -- they lost to Black.

But Rutledge acknowledged it was difficult to testify against Black "because Tank was the guy who guys put their trust, put their faith in, then turned around and stabbed them in the back.

"Tank was a guy I trusted like a father," Rutledge said.

Rutledge estimated that while still enrolled in college, he received as much as $15,000 from Black and his assistant, Alfred "Tweet" Twitty, in 1997 and 1998.

"On occasion, I would get more," said Rutledge, now a linebacker with the Arizona Cardinals. "For instance, Christmas and my birthday, I would get $1,000 cash."

Testified Kearse: "In March of 1998, he gave my mom $1,200 cash to purchase a vehicle."

University of Florida officials said they knew nothing of Black's involvement with its players. The school could only face NCAA sanctions if prosecutors prove the university knew about Black paying players.

Kearse and Rutledge said Black enticed them into signing with his company, Professional Management Inc., by giving them up to $500 a month, plus other gifts.

During the players' testimony, Twitty was described as Black's bagman. Kearse even said he only communicated with Twitty, not Black, when he needed money.

Rutledge testified he was introduced to Black through former Gators running back Fred Taylor.

Taylor is reported to have lost the most to Black, including a $3 million signing bonus and an additional $380,000 he received from the Jacksonville Jaguars for meeting performance goals.

Under cross-examination, Kearse admitted that he had asked for the money.

Black's attorney, John Uman, said: "You knew you were going to make money, you were going to make millions."

Kearse shyly replied: "Yeah."

Kearse said his contract with the Titans included a $4.6 million signing bonus, with an annual salary up to $500,000.

Last June, a federal judge in Detroit sentenced Black to 82 months in a federal prison for a money-laundering charge stemming from a drug operation. Black pleaded guilty and received more than the maximum of 78 months that was cited in his plea agreement, reports show.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So that's the real reason why Spurrier resigned.

3. Major

Major Member

<B>"On occasion, I would get more," said Rutledge, now a linebacker with the Arizona Cardinals. "For instance, Christmas and my birthday, I would get $1,000 cash."

Testified Kearse: "In March of 1998, he gave my mom $1,200 cash to purchase a vehicle." </B>

I still think it sucks that there's no penalties for players who partipicate in these things, as long as they can hide it until they get out of college. They both knew it was wrong, yet only one side (the agent) gets the punishment.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

If you deal with a cheater you get burned by him. If you are a cheater you will one day get burned.

Even though the players deserve and need the money, they knew it was wrong so I have no sympathy for them. We all make mistakes, and I'm glad they told the truth, but there should be some consequences.