1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Detroit News] Sheed: Working on my D-Wade flop

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Matchman, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

Pistons: Notebook
    Chris McCosky / Detroit News wire services

Refs swayed by Wade?

Rasheed Wallace fired up a shot and then threw himself to the floor. Then he got up, faked a limp and did it again.

"Working on my D-Wade flop," he said, laughing.

The dead-on impersonation of some of Heat guard Dwyane Wade 's theatrics actually had the entire team laughing during Thursday's shoot-around.

But Wade's flopping, and subsequent trips to the free-throw line didn't seem funny during the Pistons' 87-85 victory Thursday night.

"You can't do nothing to D-Wade," Wallace said. "If you say 'boogety-boogety booh' to him, that's a foul. If you give him a hard look, that's a foul."

Heading into Thursday, Wade had attempted a league-high 163 free throws -- 11.6 per game. He made 10 of 13 Thursday. Chauncey Billups leads the Pistons with 111 attempts.

But the Pistons aren't the only ones who think Wade might get a little extra protection.

"He gets all the calls, that's what makes him special," Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace said.

Said SuperSonics coach Bob Hill : "It's unbelievable what he gets away with."

Wade has taken the high road, telling the Miami Herald, "It doesn't bug me as long as the calls don't stop."

But Heat coach Pat Riley said the complaints are a not-so-gentlemanly form of gamesmanship.

"I think they are just playing a scam," Riley told the Herald. "They're just whining. I think everybody's just complaining to try to think they can get an edge and hope they will influence the officials in some way.

"Dwyane deserves what he gets. There isn't anybody in the league that attacks the basket more."

The Pistons' plan entering Thursday's game was to attack Wade first.

"One of the big keys for us is Rip (Hamilton )," coach Flip Saunders said.

"He's been very aggressive and has made Dwyane guard him and he's kind of wore him down. He's actually gotten Dwyane in foul trouble in a couple of games, chasing Rip around."

Davis stuck in Miami

This wasn't what Dale Davis had in mind.

Davis had to stay behind in Miami as his trial on five misdemeanor charges was held over until today. The trial was to resume at 11 a.m. at Dade County's 11th Judicial Circuit Court. There is good chance Davis will miss tonight's game against Knicks at The Palace.

"I anticipated that it would be over in one day," said Davis, who played Thursday against the Heat. "My main thing coming in is, I know I didn't do anything wrong. I just have to let the process take its course."

A six-person jury was selected Thursday morning and Davis said the prosecution's case was presented.

"I can't comment on it too much, I just know after tomorrow it will be over," Davis said.

Davis is charged with assault, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest without violence for an incident Aug. 2 at a South Beach hotel.

Almost Heat-ed

When Chauncey Billups was a free agent in 2002, he narrowed his list of suitors to two teams -- Detroit and Miami.

"Washington was in there for a little bit, but I didn't want to go there because (his close friend) Tyronn Lue was there. He was kind of emerging and he was in his free-agent year, so I didn't want to take away any of his opportunities," Billups said.

Not a candidate

Pistons coach Flip Saunders made it clear that he is not interested in the coaching vacancy at his alma mater, Minnesota. Coach Dan Monson stepped down Thursday.

Slam dunk

Lindsey Hunter (sore right foot, Achilles tendon) played Thursday and had three points in nine minutes.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061201/SPORTS0102/612010419/1127

=======================================================

(no i am not a Dwade Hater)
    those comments are Hillarious :D

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I love D-Wade as much as anyone. He is a great player who attacks the rim relentlessly. But there is no denying the refs bail him out to the point that it is sickening.

3. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

apparently you can win a championship that way. :rolleyes:

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

thats one thing that I hate about him

if you ain't playing fair, I will write you out of my book of my fav players

5. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Of course you can, see: Micheal Jordan.

See: Malone and stockton, they almost won that way.

See: Kobe Bryant

IT is a sick thing

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wade = Jordan II?

(I'm not talking about the talent. I'm talking about the calls.)

7. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Thats what im stressing

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Pretty much, Jordan got EVERY call.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Be more fair than that. Wade was very good the last part of his rookie year and took the Heat into the 2nd round. His 2nd year, he carried them on his back into the ECFs while Shaq injured. Last season was when the grotesqueness of the refs came out in full force. It isn't Wade's fault and he was a great player before the phantom calls.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Jordan was good with out the calls.
    I don't think there is any denying that.

But man, I want people to see amazing players do well, because of their skills, not because of what was handed to them by the refs.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Jordan was not falling around like an 90 year old grandma

Wade does that...

I respect him, he is an amazing talent and player...but...

12. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

I think if the games was refereed the same as today, Jordan would have done the same thing. It's about making the most from the system, not about showing people how tough you are.

13. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

i agree with not faulting wade for taking advantage of the system.

the rules need to be more clear on what and what isnt a foul, and then explained to refs, players and even fans. so far the game has really taken a hit with all the fouls being called.

14. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

IMO, you just can't compare a guard in today's NBA to someone like Jordan who played in a completely different era where hand-checking was allowed and where physical play was encouraged and rewarded, not discouraged and punished.

Just try to catch a rerun of one of those Bulls-Knicks playoff series or a Bulls-Pistons series and you will see what I am talking about. Those flagrant foul calls in today's NBA garnered nothing more than a regular foul call back in the day, at times not even that.

Heck, watch the Rockets-Celtics series back in '86 and you will see just how vicious the league was. Those guys weren't just b-ball players, they were wrestlers.

15. Omer

Omer Member

That's right Rasheed, you tell em like it is.

So sad, so true.

People all over Wade thinking he's the best in the league after the finals last season.

Bet they wouldn't have won without those unwarranted foul calls.

16. sbyang

sbyang Member

With the way things are called today, Jordan would average 50 points.

17. tigermission1

I think the issue is that we have a bunch of very young posters here who vaguely -- if at all -- remember how grueling and physical the league was just a decade ago.

Seriously, even if you're not that familiar with the type of basketball played back then (again, when I say "back then" I am referring primarily to the late 80's into the early/mid 90's era, which were Jordan's prime years), make an effort to watch a few playoff games/series and you will see what I am talking about.

Today's NBA is a COMPLETELY different animal...

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not young. I was a Rocket fan before Yao Ming was born.

You are right that the perimeter game in Jordan's time was more physical. BUT, Jordan DID get away with a lot of phantom calls that would not have been called IN THAT ERA for any other player.

Now Wade is getting the same treatment.

19. tigermission1

Not true actually, Jordan ONLY got the benefit of the doubt after he came back from retirement, during the second three-peat. It wasn't a big issue during his first three-peat.

20. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

I dont think that this thread is complete without mention of Lebron '5-step' James.

carry on