1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The birth of a SUPERSTAR !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 7, 2000.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Anyone that is a Rockets fan, and looks back on the talks with Golden State for Jamison should feel much sorrow.

There is a time in every SuperStars career, where he finally goes from realizing that he belongs in the NBA to realizing that he can DOMINATE in the NBA.

Jamison's back to back 51 point efforts are the birth of that moment.

This kid is an INCREDIBLE talent, and to think we almost had him for Cato, Drew, and Walt...

How many would make that trade today?

I know Pops and I would...right Oil?

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from Monkeys and Apes, then why are there still Monkeys and apes?

2. Sane

Sane Member

I don't wanna say I told u so, but I told u so [​IMG]

Some of the comments I got:

"A bust"
    "too bad they traded Vince away for him"
    "He'll never be that good"
    "I'd rather have Mo" (dagger to the heart)

------------------

3. TB3

TB3 Member

Not so fast there Cowboy...

I seem to remember Jamal Mashburn and Jimmy Jackson putting up HUGE numbers one year in Dallas, including 50 point games for both of them.

I still think his jump shot is too erratic, and we will see him return to his former self soon.

------------------

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

How many would trade Francis for Jamison straight up?

I would seriously consider it.

Jamison adds scoring and rebounding, and Francis adds scoring, rebounding and assists.

Would you make the trade?

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from Monkeys and Apes, then why are there still Monkeys and apes?

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

I'd keep Francis. But, if there were any other way to get Antawn, I would go for it.

TB3, I agree. It's way too soon to call him a superstar, but you have to remember that Antawn doesn't take as many shots as Mash or Jackson did.

------------------
    "There are two players carrying the Rockets right now. Hakeem and Olajuwon." Isiah Thomas

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Some Jamison Stats for you to help in the comparison.

23.8 ppg 8.2 rb .496% shooting.

Not bad at all.

DaDakota

------------------

7. Sane

Sane Member

Not to mention he was 21 of 29 from the field against the Lakers...Which means against Shaq and Ho Grant....He also pulled down 13 rebounds....OBVIOUSLY he'll cool down a bit, but his scoring average won't go below 23 or 24 pts.....

Francis and Mo for Jamison and M. Blaylock..
    Bonus: Point guard combination would include these names: Mookie and Moochie [​IMG]

------------------

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I wouldn't trade Francis for him because that ends up being an even proposition. We lose one budding star to get another.

If I had the chance, I'd go after him, but Francis wouldn't be the bait.

------------------
    Mmmmmmm. Sacrelicious.

9. MManal

MManal Member

Couple of things....

Sane, I dont see why your telling people "I told you so". I think almost everyone except a few wanted the Rockets to make that deal. The debate was about how realistic a proposition it was from GSW side. The realists basically thought that it had a small likelihood of happening but felt it would be a nice move if it did. I still feel Vince Carter will be a better player in the long run despite two back to back 51 pt games from Jamison. You have to look at whether or not Jamison has truly improved his game or if its just a matter of putting up stats on a horrid team.

Also, I would not deal Steve Francis for Antawn Jamison. Jamison is a nice young talent and is looking at some All Star appearances but by no means is this guy another Chris Webber or Kevin Garnett type superstar which is the tone that this thread seems to be indicating. He just is not blessed with their God given body frames. If Jamison were 6-10, we'd be talking about another PF star in this game, but at 6-7 he will have his difficulties going up against these guys and will have to end up playing a good amount of SF as he already does. Also, that 6-9 measurement on nba.com is an inaccurate coverup as happens a good bit, the big question mark on Jamison coming out of school was his height, he is only about 6-7 1/2. Francis on the other hand has a really good shot at becoming one of the top 3-4 players in the game. Personally, I feel once Payton declines, Francis and Kidd will be the premier PGs in the game. You dont trade top 5 NBA talent like that for a good but not great player.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

[This message has been edited by MManal (edited December 07, 2000).]

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

11. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Dadakota: Where would Hakeem fit in this equation? This guy Jamison you speak of obviously needs 25-30 shots to reach these phenomonal outbursts, and Hakeem wants the darn ball more as it is.

Can you imagine if Francis shot the ball 20-30 times frequently? He may tickle your fancy more with 50-60 point lines, but we'd maybe be 6-13 instead 0f 10-8.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited December 07, 2000).]

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Yeah. I'm sure that trade was right on the verge of being consummated. The thing that killed it was Golden State's insistence that Matt Bullard be included. The Rockets said there's no way we're giving you Drew, Walt, and Bullard. Golden State said "you suck balls" and hung up.

------------------
    Come and dance on our floor, take a step that is new

13. Holden

Holden Member

yeah, and scott skiles had 30something assists in one game. he sure was a superstar. two games of 50points is not something to get jacked up about. lets wait for his average at the end of the season, and the teams record.

------------------
    "Man, it's cool. I'm going to be president. That's Wicked." -George W. Bush, SNL

14. vj23k

vj23k Member

i wouldn't give up steve. but maybe mobley. They wouldn;t want him though(they have hughes).

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Francis a top 3 PG? He certainly has the talent, does he have IT though?

Perhaps, I think Jamison has just discovered IT.

Jamison will be one of the best for the next 10 years...barring injury, as will Francis, who will be the better? Who knows, but I would rather have Jamison and Francis, then Francis and Mobley.

DaDakota

------------------

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Member

I agree DaDakota. Jamison would fit this team better, and is exactly what we need, imo. But Cat for Jamison isn't gonna do it. Would MO and Cat for Antawn be enough ? Or did I just made the deal more lopsided in our favor ?

------------------
    "There are two players carrying the Rockets right now. Hakeem and Olajuwon." Isiah Thomas

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

toss in some #1's

------------------
    Check out my homepage! Loads of sports pics!

http://www.public.asu.edu/~sykim/

18. MManal

MManal Member

Dakota, I would give up Mobley for Jamison even though this offense would have to be re-structured a good amount, but I would not move Steve for him. I definitely think Steve has IT and felt he had IT from the first day I saw him. Despite how much you want to trade him for Andre Miller, Francis has a hungry desire to win and be the best. He has the attitude of a champion, the positive mentality and the talent that can make him a premier player in this league. I think Jamison over the next decade will be an All Star player, but he just is not in the class of Chris Webber, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Rasheed Wallace etc. If Jamison were 3 inches taller, we could be talking about it, but the best players in the game cause so many matchup problems at their positions.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Whoa there MManal, you're making Jamison sound like a second rate chump - undersized and unable to create matchup problems!

The guy is a great scorer! Let's give him some credit! At 6-8 he's a little bit too small to play PF, but he has the footspeed to play SF and the agility to play there as well. Of course he's too big for a lot of SF's to guard and too quick for a lot of PF's to guard - hence the fact that he's averaging over 20 a game this year - and this is nothing new. Last season he scored 19.6 a game on 47% shooting. The big knock on him was that he couldn't play SF because he couldn't shoot from the outside. This season he shoots a skinny 32% from beyond the arc, but more significantly is attempting 2.3 3's per game as compared to 0.2 last season - he's added a 3 point shot to his repetoire (not a deadly one yet), and at the same time improved his FG% to 49. The guy can and will score and IS a matchup problem!

Of course there's no way I'd trade Francis for him!!

------------------

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Mobley and Cato for Jamison and Dampier, who is with me?

DaDakota

------------------