1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Bible Code: Is it real?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CourtCourt, Dec 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. CourtCourt

CourtCourt Member

Who else is interested in this? I recently bought a book at Barnes and Noble called "Bible Code II: The Countdown". I've read about half of it and find it very interesting and believable. Im very optimistic. I want to believe it because I feel that we are not alone in this world. In fact, I know we're not. But really, who else has heard of this and has interest? I hope this thread gets lots of views and replies, I'd like some people to learn about it who haven't been aware of the situation with this new scientific method of the 19th century.

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

While an interesting idea, any book with enough words could be used w/the a "code" to say that all the worlds events are contained w/in.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Could you explain a little more what this code is supposed to mean? I don't really follow you here buddy..

4. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

While I find this concept interesting it is certainly not new, they are using computers to do what Rabbis have been trying to do for centuries. It is also not what people think it is. It's NOT a way to just decypher ancient hebrew and come up with predictions about the future. (Reading the book you already know this but others may not.) One has to know exactly what to search for. For example the code is based on Equidistant Letter Sequences, so starting with the first Hebrew letter "T" in the book of Genesis and counting forward 49 letters to find an "O" as the 50th letter, and then another 49 letters to an "R," another 49 letters to an "A," and finally another 49 letters to an "H," the word TORAH was spelled out. "Torah" is the Hebrew name for the books Moses wrote. This same pattern happens in the book of Exodus.

What I found the most disturbing is that Michael Drosnin, after years of research for his book, The Bible Code, was still an athiest: "I had proof there was a code, but not proof there was a God. . . . I don't believe in God. . . . The message of the Bible code is that we can save ourselves."

If there is no God to write such a perfect code then who or what did it?

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

CC, for the uninitiated, would you give a summary of the book's thesis?

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I've never actually read the book but I have watched numerous documentaries on the Bible Code. I find it very interesting. As Mulder said, in Genisis and Exodus they found TORAH spelled out, then I believe in Leviticus there was nothing, Then in Numbers and Deuteronomy they found HAROT (Torah spelled backwards) which seemed to be pointing them to Levititcus, then they searched in Leviticus and found something but I can't remember what it was.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

As far as I know, this is not something serious Bible scholars do, conservative or liberal.

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you have to ask, you don't deserve the answer.

JV,

Think numerology-type stuff - codes within the Bible based upon pulling various letters from a page to tell a prophetic message - predicting stuff like Saddam invading Iraq.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'll take it a step forward that rimmy.

The Bible Code is most closely comparable to the "hand test" for cancer. Hold your hand to your face. If your hand is larger than your face, you have a 98% to contract cancer before the age of 50. Try it!

10. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Nah. I made it up one drunken night in a seminary...

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I meant to say "further than rimmy" but I was consumed by the all-powerful loving god and made to type in the special code.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

After An Astute Assessment of the Situation, I must honestly disagree with you gracious gentlemen. No harm I suppose.

:)

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I don't understand why nobody will come right out and tell me what this book is about! Ok, I get that there are apparently numeric patterns which spell out words. Is there anything found in the code besides the word Torah? That is not a very interesting code if that is the only thing it reveals.

14. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

This could belong in the D & D forum. One may as well ask does one believe in astrology? Then one may ask, is the bible true or not? Numerology is a scam no matter what source or book it's based upon, unless someone is deliberately writing a code for cryptographic purposes, which would not be the case with the Bible being translated from what, Hebrew to Greek to English, would have already lost unless you believe in that divine translation B.S.

Ronald Reagan's name had six letters in every name. So he must have been that Antichrist figure the bible keeps talking about, with the mark of the beast 666, right?

15. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

I think they found Bull**** Artist in there a few times also.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It's real in a sense because people have come up with it. Was the bible written with the "code" intentionally in it... no.

17. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

All this reminds me of the subliminal messages that you could hear in the open if you played a record backwards. To me, it is totally b.s. and something that you would figure out with 1. large quantities of hallucinogens 2. too much time on your hands. It is ridiculous that even God Himself would go to all that trouble to encase His word into some mumbo-jumbo code.

18. HtownRocks

HtownRocks Member

It's not going to tell you the future, even though the author of the book discovered in the code the assassination of a good friend of his Yitzhak Rabin, or something like that, he was a famous Prime Minister, one year before it happened. He actually forsaw 9/11, but he didnt tell anyone because he thought what he saw in the code, happened during the first attacks in the earlier 90's on the Twin Towers, but it was until 9/11 when he discovered the real clear words describing the events. Like, "Twin" "Towers" "Airplane" "It Knocked Down" "Twice" "Sin, Crime of Bin Ladin" "The City and the Tower" "They Saw Smoke Rise above the Land like the Smoke of a Furnace" "Terrorist Atta" "Egyption Man" "Pentagon" "Damaged" "Emergency From Arabia" "The Next War" "The Twins" "Terroist"... Describe a tragic day of our time, eh? Also, another interesting discovery.

"End of Days", "In The End of Days", "Arafat", "E. Barak", "Sharon", "Bush", "World War" "Atomic Holocaust", "World War", "Terroism", 'Suicide Bomber", "War to the Knife", were in there too.. and there was only one year within the next few hundred years that was found in there... "In 5766", which transformed from Hebrew to our years, would be 2006. Maybe its predicting a big atomic war in 2006 that we should be prepared for and try to dodge. He has met with Clinton, Arafat, and I think he's met with Bush, or atleast contacted him about all this, trying to warn people.

Take what you want from it. It's not predicting the future. It's science. It's code discovered in the bible. Things that have happened in the past show up in the codes. These are other codes they have found. So like I said, take hwat you want from them. Whats your take on this?

19. Mr. Mooch

Let me start off my response by: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh darn, big atomic war in less than 3 years. Hmm, well it looks like I'll have to go buy me one of them bomb shelters this weekend.

I'm sure I can get a Y2K discount from someone.

20. Mr. Mooch

And check this out:

http://www.skepticnews.com/articles/03/06/06/1133208.shtml

This is an interesting article by Michael Shermer in Scientific American: Codified Claptrap: The Bible Code is numerological nonsense masquerading as science.

Here's an excerpt:

Predictably, in 1997 Drosnin "discovered" such current events as Yitzhak Rabin's assassination, Benjamin Netanyahu's election, Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9's collision with Jupiter, Timothy McVeigh and the Oklahoma City bombing, and, of course, the end of the world in 2000. Because the world did not end and current events dated his first book, Drosnin continued the search and learned--lo and behold--that the Bible predicted the Bill and Monica tryst, the Bush-Gore election debacle and, of course, the World Trade Center cataclysm.

Just like the prophecies of soothsayers past and present, all such predictions are actually postdictions (note that not one psychic or astrologer forewarned us about 9/11). To be tested scientifically, Bible codes would need to predict events before they happen. They won't, because they can't--as Danish physicist Niels Bohr averred, predictions are difficult, especially about the future. Instead, in 1997 Drosnin proposed this test of his thesis: "When my critics find a message about the assassination of a prime minister encrypted in Moby Dick, I'll believe them."

Australian mathematician Brendan McKay did just that, locating no fewer than nine political assassinations secreted in the great novel, along with additional discoveries in War and Peace and other tomes (see www.cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/moby.html). American physicist David E. Thomas predicted the Chicago Bulls's NBA championship in 1998 from his code search of Leo Tolstoy's novel. He also recently unearthed "the Bible code is a silly, dumb, fake, false, evil, nasty, dismal fraud and snake-oil hoax" from Bible Code II (see www.nmsr.org/biblecod.htm).

:D