1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Al Jefferson Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dharocks, Jul 7, 2010.

1. dharocks

dharocks Member

A name that has come up repeatedly here, even during Morey's pursuit of Chris bosh, is Timberwolves PF/C Al Jefferson. Now that it looks like Bosh is going to Miami, combined with the fact that the Wolves have shown little interest in keeping Jefferson, the latter will likely come up in discussion even more frequently.

While I don't personally think Jefferson would be a good fit here, I thought it would be useful to condense the Jefferson discussion to one thread, as there are some scattered discussions going on throughout the GARM.

[​IMG]
    Al Jefferson
    Height: 6'10" Weight: 265 lbs
    17.1ppg | 9.3rpg | 1.3bpg

Contract: 2010/11: $13 million 2011/12: $14 million 2013/14: $15 million

Strengths
    • Excellent size/strength
    • Terrific low-post scorer
    • Strong rebounder
    • Shotblocking presence, doesn't commit many fouls
    • Rarely turns the ball over

Weaknesses
    • Slow
    • Not a great passer
    • Doesn't get to the FT line often
    • Mediocre defensive player due to lack of mobility
    • Knee problems (torn ACL)

There are two ways to look at it; on the one hand, Jefferson and the Rockets aren't exactly a match made in heaven, as both he and Yao would probably be competing for touches in the low post. Unlike Bosh, Jefferson really wouldn't complement Yao offensively, and doesn't bring much to the table defensively.

On the other hand, there are serious questions about Yao's health, and as good as he is when healthy, the Rockets simply cannot depend on him to stay on the court. If he misses significant time, Jefferson would provide insurance and a legitimate low-post scoring threat.

Of course, there's also the question of cost: How much would the Wolves expect in return for Jefferson? It does seem like they're set on trading him, but there could be a number of potential suitors, driving the price tag up. The New York Post reported a three-team trade rumor in which Jefferson would go to Golden State, Monta Ellis would go to NY, and Lee would go to Minny in a S&T. I'd be curious to know what the Wolves' asking price from the Rockets would be.

What do you guys think? Is this a guy that you'd like to see in a Rockets jersey(rep to the first person to photoshop this)? What would you be willing to give up to get him?

2. mofuggin_OG

mofuggin_OG Member

3. RV6

RV6 Member

Good thing this is the Al Jefferson thread, since the other 50 in the last year were just Jefferson threads.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Sure for something like Trevor or Battier and Jeffries...why not?

DD

5. ThaShark316_28

Good thread...can cut down the "we should go for Al-Jeff" threads by 98%.

Anyway, yeah if it doesn't cost us much, I say do it. Al wants out and Kahn wants to deal him. Like I read earlier: Kahn vs. Morey is a mismatch.

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Man its funny the amount of newer folks on the bbs who only post to ridicule....

I have been a Jefferson advocate. He is cheap and can play center. I know he is a poor defensive player, but at the same time he does block some shots and bring a height presence. He is also a superb low post scorer for when Yao struggles/misses games. Yao/Jefferson or Jefferson/Scola both work well and he is paid much less than what Bosh would have cost.

Ariza+Taylor+Jeffries+2012 first rounder sounds good to me.

7. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

As long as we don't have to give up too much, do it!

Jeffries and Battier, plus pick or filler or something.

Brooks
    Martin
    Ariza
    Jefferson
    Yao

Scola comes off the bench for Yao, getting starter minutes since Yao will be kept to around 20 mpg.

Sounds like a team that can cause problems for LA

8. rockets934life

I am still down for this move.... :grin:

9. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Member

Its a good plan B and upgrade over Scola.

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

3 years left on his contract and he will be 28 when his contract expires. A year coming off his knee injury so only should get better. He is entering the prime years of his career. T-Wolves are pretty desperate to move him so it wouldn’t take more than expiring contracts to get him.

11. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

IBT 6'9 Latino comments and pictures of naked 17 year old girls start being posted

12. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

I don't like the Yao - Jefferson fit at all defensively or offensively. Defensively they're both slow footed (at least that's what I hear about Jefferson). Offensively they both operate on the low post (although Yao obviously does have a nice midrange game). I'm intrigued though because Jefferson would sure be nice to have around to limit Yao's minutes and in case he goes down again.

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Defensively, Jefferson is actually a better player than Bosh. Maybe not on the perimeter against quicker PF but everywhere else on the court and overall.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

I actually pulled off this trade in NBA07 back when was a celtic for peanuts so I should be credited with any and all success...

But seriously, he'd be a great addition and I doubt we'd have to give AB,Lowry or Scola since that team has an overabundance of PFs and PGs.

15. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

To expand on my post I could be up for something like:

Hill + 1st + Ariza/Battier/Expirings (Jeffries, Anderson, Hayes) if that's enough for Minnesota.

16. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

*Andersen

17. Prince

Prince Member

Andersen and Hill.

18. saleem

saleem Member

If he hadn't had the ACL injury I would be interested, despite not being a good fit with Yao.

A long,defensive center with some offense plus a healthy Al,could have been a good replacement for Yao. Maybe he will get back to his pre-injury self,but I doubt it.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

ACL injuries are not the career killer they used to be. Especially when they occur to a guy who is only 23-24 and who never relied on explosiveness to begin with. I honestly believe Al Jefferson will be better than he ever was before in the next few years. He's going to end up being a good deal for someone when he gives them 22/11 and a block and a half a game for $14 million a year.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Look, a big man is supposed to do 3 things:

1) Rebounding (arguably the most important task, as who controls the rebound controls the game)

2) Defense (D wins championships)

3) Offense (not as needed because wingmen and pgs can score)

Al J can only do the 3rd most important task well, and to be honest after injury he looks like a younger injured Elton Brand. Despite what people keep saying AL J is horrible at center, any significant statistical data you get shows this as fact. We don't need another low post forward, Scola and Patterson are more than enough.