1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 1995 NBA Championship Myth regarding Jordan playing

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Blake, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

So, I didn't know whether to post this in the GARM forum, but it drives me crazy when I hear people say that our two championships deserve asterisks due to Michael Jordan not playing. Yes, he was "retired" during the 1993-1994 season, but he PLAYED during the 1994-1995 season. Yesterday on 610 for example, Rich Lord mentioned that Jordan didn't play the two seasons that we won our championships.

Total horse manure. MJ did play in the 1994-95 season, though it wasn't for the whole year...only 17 regular season games. When I mention that, people then try to counter with, "Well, he wasn't the same MJ because he only played a portion of the year", which couldn't be further from the truth (about him being not being vintage MJ). Proof? No problem. Let's look at MJ's stats in the 1995 playoffs in comparison to the 3 following championship seasons.

It should also be noted that the Bulls were eliminated by the Orlando Magic, a team that we SWEPT.

MJ's 1995 playoff stats (you know, when he wasn't "vintage MJ") :rolleyes:

FG %: .484
    3P %: .367
    PPG: 31.5
    RPG: 6.5
    APG: 4.5

Now, his playoff averages during the 3 following championship seasons:

FG %: .459
    3P %: .300
    PPG: 31.4
    RPG: 6.0
    APG: 4.1

As you can see, MJ was superior in the 95 playoffs than he was, on average, in the 3 following champioship years, which should put the debate to rest. MJ was, in fact, MJ but the Magic were the better TEAM and we SWEPT the Magic. Therefore, the BS and ill-informed "MJ didn't play/MJ wasn't the same player" couldn't be further from the truth.

Critics and MJ homers might say, "But Blake, you used AVERAGES from the 3 other titles, you didn't compare year to year". No problem.

Using the 4 playoff seasons (1995-1998), Jordan averaged:

PPG:
    1995-31.5
    1996- 30.7
    1997- 31.1
    1998- 32.4

Second highest scoring average in 1995 playoffs

RPG:
    1995- 6.5
    1996- 4.9
    1997- 7.9
    1998- 5.1

Second highest rebounding average in 1995 playoffs

APG:
    1995-4.5
    1996- 4.1
    1997- 4.8
    1998- 3.5

Second highest assist average in 1995 playoffs

FG%:
    1995- .484
    1996- .459
    1997- .456
    1998- .462

Highest FG% in 1995 playoffs

3 point %:
    1995- .367
    1996- .403
    1997- .194
    1998- .302

Second highest 3pt % in 1995 playoffs

In conclusion, when anyone says to you that the 1995 NBA championship should have an * next to it due to MJ not playing or not being "vintage MJ", tell them about those stats and tell them to have a coke and a smile.

The point of this? Well, I'm tired of hearing people say that crap, even local Houston sports radio hosts. The fact of the matter is that basketball is a team sport and the Bulls did not have Rodman yet and were not the powerhouse that they became again when they signed him. Jordan WAS Jordan in the 1995 playoffs, but the Bulls just were not a good enough team.

The Rockets were...and we won it all. :grin:

10 people like this.
  2. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Obviously, like yourself, I have heard this many a times as well. Now, Jordan not playing, and then only being back basically part time after not playing for awhile might of had some effect. Maybe? But the Rockets couldn't help that MJ didn't play during some of that time. You don't make the circumstances...you just play with what is given. Houston won during that time and that's it. Truth is, who knows what would have happened if MJ had not have stepped away from basketball. Maybe the Bulls would have added to their titles, which is a popular belief. Or, perhaps not.

Oh yeah....my god Jordan was ridiculous. His numbers are pure :grin: .

3. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Well if he wouldn't have been caught gambling and been forced into "Retirement" by David Stern which was actually a suspension then none of this would have mattered and Maxwell would have wiped the floor with him anyways....

4. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I think the only guy who could effectively nuetralize Jordan was Mad Max, so I think we could beat them in a 7 game series.

Hakeem woulda ate Bill Cartwright or Horace Grant alive and Drexler would have had a field day against Pippen.

5. MingMingDynasty

Just more proof that the Bulls simply had no answer for dominant low-post players like Shaq and Dream. To be fair to the Jordan-lovers, he basically took the same team plus Rodman to 72 wins plus a chip the next year.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rodman was THE MAJOR factor in the 2nd go around of the Bulls championships.

Karl Malone, Shaq, Shawn Kemp can tell you that.

Not to mention David Robinson winning the MVP in 95 because he didn't have to worry about boards.

also, since mainly newer fans have the nba cliff notes, Rodman was also a factor with the Piston's championships.

like Barkley, people tend to remember Rodman more for his antics then his stellar play.

7. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Jordan gained a bit weight upon his return. He was still Jordan but he didn't attack the rim as much as he did in the old days. And there was the chemistry issue the Bulls had, they didn't click because you know adding a player that takes one third of the shots onto the roster requires a lot of adjustment on his teammates' side. They simply didn't have enough time to build a momentum into the playoffs.

With all that being said, I feel that the Rockets were the superior team and they deserved every one bit of that championship. Hell even MJ admitted after Hakeem won 2 championships that Hakeem was the best player at that time and he respected that and he was trying to earn it back.

No championship could be won easily. You need talent and heart to do that. The Rockets had both of them.

8. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Jordan was still a monster in the '95 Playoffs, so the idea of him being there for only part of the season is meaningless. Getting beat 4-2 by the Magic wasn't really on him though. His production was largely cancelled out by Penny... and they had no low post answer for Shaq, and it really didn't help that their old starting PF (Horace Grant) was now playing on the Magic as well. Rockets would have ended that series quicker than the Magic did though.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I think the Rockets were on another planet in 95...NO TEAM I mean NO TEAM could have beaten that squad. The Rockets were so focused that even down 3-1 minutes from elimnation on the road vs PHX was simply just "fun" for the team. As Tinman mentioned, Rodman was the difference for the Bulls and even then I think Horry was the 1st true stretch PF IMO so that would have given anytime troubles including the Bulls with Rodman.

10. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Yeah I almost forgot Grant was on that Magic team. The Bulls was just too thin on the inside.

11. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Rockets deserve an * because larry bird magic johnson michael jordan and shaq were not all on the same team those years.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Bulls used to create scouting DVDs before each game and give them to players. Wennington said the film crew would breakdown film from Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, or whoever the opponent would be that night and give it to the Bulls centers so they could prepare.

When they played the Rockets they got 3 DVDs on Olajuwon and a note that read, "go **** yourself".

[SIZE=-5]I made up the note part.[/SIZE]

2 people like this.
  13. ApuN

ApuN Member

Why do people perpetuate this nonsense??

Jordan basically retired because his father was killed and at the time, he achieved the most of anybody that was playing at the time - 3 rings in a row.

Mike was "the King" in 1993 and the bulk of Sterns empire pretty much rested on Mikes shoulders, why would Stern kill the Golden Goose?

Is there any record of Mike getting treatment of so called "gambling addiction"?

And if there isn't why did Stern let him back in the league????

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Well the urban legend was that Jordan's screwed over the wrong people with his gambling problem and those "individuals" took out his dad which Stern found out about. The fallout was Stern forcing Jordan into retirement for a few years to let it blow over then he gave him back his crown.

15. Mr. Space City

i hate when people try to bash our championships.

we got em. people need to get over it.

but the teens responsible for the murder didnt even know it was jordans father.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n4_v90/ai_18385457/

16. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Good point. Now don't get me wrong, Jordan was/is my favorite player. He's why I started watching NBA. But all of this * business is just wrong. Should we put a * by this season too, saying that Yao didn't play, otherwise we would have won the championship, or at least make the playoffs? I'm not trying to compare Jordan to Yao, but I'm making the point that you play the hand you're dealt and that's it. That's all we did, then and now. It's just that then we had a royal flush, and now we just have all reds.

17. brosef

brosef Member

best thing ive read all day.

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Yeah right! :rolleyes: You actually believe than nonsense? If everything that the newspapers said was correct, Osama would have been dead along time ago, Clinton didn't have sexual relationship with that women, and the Roswell phenomenon was indeed false!

19. Classic

Classic Member

You're making way too much sense with this argument.

Now, if we could, somebody put an * next to our '05 playoff series as the Mavericks didn't technically win it. :mad:

20. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I can't believe we still talk about this.

I see the banners hanging. My team had a winning record against the Bulls year in and year out.

Thats all I need to know.

1 person likes this.