1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

That's why they call the show "Jackass"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Dec 17, 2002.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

a whole new catagory of Darwin awards need to be created... the JACKASS award!

and this is our most recent winner....

-------------------------------------

Teen Dies After Imitating Stunt From MTV Show

Date: December 17, 2002
    Source: KRQE News 13

An Albuquerque teenager is dead after imitating a stunt on a popular MTV show. 15-year old Stephen Rouen died Monday afternoon when he jumped onto the hood of moving vehicle and was thrown off when the driver slammed on the brakes.

Friends of the Del Norte High School sophomore say Rouen, as well his friend behind the wheel, regularly performed the stunt that they learned from the MTV show “Jackass”. “Jackass” regularly features violent stunts in which the participants are often injured.

The boys were performing a stunt called “car surfing” in which Rouen jumped onto the hood of the truck as it moved down the street at about 15 miles per hour. With Rouen facing him through the windshield the driver slammed on the brakes, flinging the teen over the grill and under the truck.

A friend of Rouen says this was all part of the stunt.

”You lay on the hood and they accelerate. Then they slam on the brakes. If you stay on, you stay on. If you fall off, you fall off. Stephen fell off,” says Adam Johnson.

Rouen was pronounced dead at around 5 p.m. Monday at the scene of the stunt. The incident occurred on the 6600 block of San Luis Obuispo in northeast Albuquerque.

Police have not released the name of the truck’s driver and no one has yet been charged with a crime in the incident.

While it took hours to locate Rouen’s parents to notify them of their son’s death, many of Rouen’s friends had to watch the teen succumb to his injuries.

”He was just squeezing Daniel's hand and my hand and then just stopped breathing. We tried to do CPR on him,” says Johnson.

-----

2. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Seems like one of these posted every month or so. How much longer can guys like SteveO and Johny Knoxville do these stunts knowing kids are dying trying to do them.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Them's the brakes.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Jackass performs a valuable service, culling the herd of those too stupid to contribute to the gene pool.

5. t4651965

t4651965 Member

LOL, you sicko!!

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Imagine if he ever learned of alcohol.

Man...I like Jackass, so I guess I'm part of the culture that murders stupid wannabe teens. But hey, if you can't ban guns and hate groups, why ban Jackass...

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Do blame these deaths on the show is rediculous. If people actually go out and try to attempt these stunts, then they have serious problems. Im sorry, but I have almost no sympathy for these ignorant kids. Its just so dumb to try these stunts. And for what? Stupid.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

edit: To blame these deaths...

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I agree, there are just way too many stupid people in this country and I'm not gonna waste any sympathy on them. Hell, the show was already cancelled, so who are they gonna blame? I just don't understand my generation at all. What is my generation called by the way? I'm 20 now, so I guess people born in the 80's are part of my generation. These people make me ashamed to be a human being sometimes, even animals take precautions and hesitate when they do things that could get them killed. Pro stuntmen train and set up everything to increase they're chance of survival. But these stupid kids, they are just total morons. "Duh, I wuder whut'll hap'n if I jump on da hood of dis here truck while it be movin and den my fuhrend slams da brakes????" "I wonder whut'll happen if I set mah self on fire???" Jeeze, well, it makes sense if you think about it. We've done so much to prevent nature's way of weeding out our species like curing diseases and finding ways to take care of those who were born with a disability. The only logical thing to do is to let stupid people take them selves out of the gene pool. Hence the Darwin awards I guess.

10. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Apply that to every song, movie, or game that deals with anything dangerous.

11. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

These kids will ignore the disclaimer and perform the dangerous stunts. This kid didn't deserve to die, but he ultimately made the choice to do this.

12. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

I could only imagine the way yesterday's building climber tragedy would have been handled if Jackass had a similar stunt.

There are idiots out there and that is why the New Mexico teen is dead.

There are individuals that are sick mentally and that is the reason we Ryan Hartley is dead.

People die every day doing things they should not do or things that could easily kill them. I am a person who has taken a number of those risks myself. Not b/c it was on Jackass, not b/c I saw a motorcycle race on TV.

I made a decision to do something out of the ordinary (stupid) for the thrill of it. Though its something was once done on TV, that is not the reason I did it. Had I died, it was no one's fault but my own for taking that risk.

Society searches for reasons or some one to blame for everything that happens as opposed to just accepting the fact people do stupid things (myself included).

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love how people try to blame deaths like this on things they don't like.

What if a kid drowned trying to walk on water like Jesus? Should Jesus be upset that he had such a bad example for everyone? I don't think people really believe that the TV shows are the reason why idiots die...they just see an opportunity to rid themselves of something they don't like.

14. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

You guys ever see that SNL skit where they do a fake news story on a teen who gets hurt while imitating Golden Girls? Absolutely brilliant.

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Yes I have. That was a great sketch. Great point there Raven Lunatic.

If I invested my money in the stock market because I was told to by some analyst on tv or because the President encouraged me too, then I lose everything, who do I blame??? Could I sue Bush because he told me the american thing to do is invest? Could I sticket to MSNBC?

16. red

red Contributing Member

of course you can...this is america...

17. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

LOL, laughed out loud reading this! :) This is so stupid, what human being would think it's a good idea to risk their life? "Damn did you see that guy separate his shoulder trying to jump over that car, lets try that stunt! Oh my god he's dead!" Well h*ll yeah he's dead, what did you expect? If I see a wrestler piledrive another wrestler I'm smart enough to know that if I piledrive my friend on the concrete I could paralyze or kill him. I don't have to be an adult to know that, my 2 year old cousin knows that's dangerous.