1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

"That was all my fault, man," McGrady (Chronicle)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vtkp99, Jan 29, 2005.

1. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/rox/3014892

Jan. 29, 2005, 1:38AM

Kings prove too much for Rockets
    Webber's 3 forces OT, and victory slips away
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN

Houston 111,
    Sacramento 117

Jon Barry and David Wesley dove across the court, the sound of scraping skin mixing in with the screams of a crowd that had been unwilling or unable to sit. But that was not enough.

Scott Padgett scored more than he ever has in an NBA game. Tracy McGrady had more assists than has collected since joining the Rockets.

And none of it was enough.

But for all the Rockets had done, there was one thing left undone when McGrady was unable to foul Chris Webber with a three-point lead. Instead, Webber made his spinning, last-chance 3-pointer, to send the Kings to overtime where they pulled away to beat the Rockets 117-111 on Friday at Toyota Center.

Coach Jeff Van Gundy blamed himself for the Rockets' failure to put Webber on the line for two free throws. But McGrady said Van Gundy had made his wishes clear and that he had every intention of fouling — until Webber feigned a pass and began his spin.

"That was all my fault, man," McGrady said. "I let my team down. We were up three and coach stressed in the huddle to foul. We had a chance to and I didn't foul, and he knocked down a big shot. It's me not tuning into what coach wanted. (Webber) threw me off a bit. I tried my best to recover. I tried to contest the shot. I just prayed that shot wouldn't go in.

"It hurts me because I'm smarter than that. I'm better than that. I let everybody down."

The loss was made more painful in that it ended a four-game winning streak and was a send-off to a rugged four-game road trip that begins Sunday afternoon in Miami. But the Rockets did not see the loss as one player's fault.

McGrady had 30 points and 12 assists, repeatedly setting up Padgett for most of his 22 points. But once the Rockets were thrust into overtime, they seemed sapped, even after Padgett had put them ahead by three.

They were beaten to long rebounds and loose balls. They rushed shots. They were unable to match the intensity and precision of their fourth-quarter run back from an eight-point fourth-quarter deficit, leaving plenty of blame to go around.

"You can always blame a game on one player," David Wesley said. "You can blame it on 15 (players). He just happened to be that one that you can look at and say, 'Well, what would have happened if you (fouled)?' But there were plays when we didn't guard the pick-and-roll well, especially early in the game. We didn't hit them first. We kind of let them do what they wanted.

"He can feel bad about that play, but by no means did he lose this game by himself."

But for whatever chances the Rockets might have had in overtime or had done wrong in regulation, they had done enough to put the game in their grasp in regulation.

The Rockets had trailed by as much as 12 in the second half and by eight with seven minutes left. They had been unable to keep Mike Bibby out of the lane early as he scored 28 points with 14 assists. Webber led the Kings with 30 to go with nine rebounds and six assists as the Kings put up more points than any team has against the Rockets this season.

But it did not seem to be enough. When Padgett dropped in 3-pointer with 2:02 left in regulation, the Rockets led 101-98. And after two Webber free throws, Padgett made his seventh shot of the night without a miss, keeping the Rockets' lead at three (103-100), with just 44.5 seconds left.

"I'm not going to create too many shots on my own," Padgett said. "Tracy's greatness was the big reason. It's hard to guard him, and they tried to close out real hard on him. He started looking for me, and when you make a couple, you give your teammates confidence in you."

Bibby went for a tie, taking his 3-pointer from 28 feet and missing with 29.5 seconds left. But when the Kings opted not to foul, their gamble paid off. McGrady ran the clock down to 5.9 seconds left before missing from 30 feet.

That allowed the Kings 4.7 seconds for Webber to catch, spin to his left and launch a 3-pointer that splashed the net with 1.3 seconds left, forcing overtime when McGrady's last heave missed.

The Rockets had a last chance after Yao Ming scored on a three-point play with 22.4 seconds left in overtime, bringing the Rockets within 113-111. But Bibby nailed two free throws and Padgett lost the ball, clinching the Kings' win.

But before the Rockets lost the game in overtime, they seemed to have it won in regulation when they were one play short.

"It would have been nice to have played a more complete game, but up three with 10 seconds (left), I mean, it wasn't probably the way it was drawn up, but we had the (game) there at the end," Wesley said. "We just didn't close it out."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rockets Summary
    Still explaining trade
    With another game against another former Rockets player who did not want to become a former Rocket, coach Jeff Van Gundy found himself explaining the trade for Tracy McGrady again Friday.

Cuttino Mobley, traded to Orlando and then to Sacramento, said he was hurt that last season's Rockets were not kept together.

Van Gundy said again, but even more pointedly, that there was no negative feelings about the players — Mobley, Steve Francis and Kelvin Cato who were traded.

"We traded to get Tracy McGrady. We didn't trade to get rid of anybody," Van Gundy said.

"I hear a lot of people question why this guy, why that guy, why the other guy. I'll tell you: Tracy McGrady. He's better than those guys. That's how it is. We have more upside with him. If somebody can't understand that, they can't understand it."

Stojakovic sits out
    For the second night in a row, the Sacramento Kings were forced to play without Peja Stojakovic. The 6-10 forward was sidelined with back spasms, forcing the Kings to adjust their game plan.

Stojakovic injured his back Dec. 31 but he played through the pain until missing Thursday's game in San Antonio. He told the Sacramento Bee the pain was so bad he barely could brush his teeth.

Stojakovic's absence leaves a major void in the Kings' lineup. He averages 20.3 points.

$100,000 donation
    Rockets owner Leslie Alexander presented a $100,000 donation to the Children's Assessment Center Foundation at Friday's game. The group serves abused children and their families in the Houston area.

Press row view
    While Maurice Taylor sits on the injured list (foot), Scott Padgett is doing what every reserve wants to do — make the most of his chance. There will no doubt be problems matching up defensively at times, and he surely won't often make eight-of-nine shots. But as much as he keyed the Rockets' run Friday, the threat of a long range-shooting big forward could open lanes for Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, and could earn Padgett minutes even after Taylor returns.

Inside the numbers
    The Rockets had six players in double figures for the first time this season. ... The Kings did not block a shot. ... The Rockets' 31 assists were their second-highest total this season. ... Cuttino Mobley's 24 points were his high with the Kings. ... By pulling out the win in overtime, the Kings moved to 22-3 when leading going into the fourth quarter.

Did you know?
    The Rockets' 15 3s were a season high and their most since matching the franchise record with 17 against the Bucks on Dec. 22, 2001.

JONATHAN FEIGEN
    and MEGAN MANFULL

2. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Thats great!. as long as we learn from our mistakes, we'll get better.atleast is man enough to admit his faults, but will he learn from them? i truly hope so.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Tough that we could not finish the game out in regulation especially considering the memorable game Padgy had. I would not call this an exciting game either save for those Scott's heroics.

I just wish Yao could have played a little better especially early. Those Kings were not that good either plus they were without Peja. Mobley came up big for them in OT with 2 clutch 3s and an offensive rebound.

4. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

The main man stepping up and taking responsibility.

The coach trying to take the heat off his main guy.

The teammates taking up for the main man and the coach.

Sounds like some love is developing on the Rocks. :)

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

This is my favorite part of the article, near the bottom:

JVG on The Trade:

"I hear a lot of people question why this guy, why that guy, why the other guy. I'll tell you: Tracy McGrady. He's better than those guys. That's how it is. We have more upside with him. If somebody can't understand that, they can't understand it."

Thank you, Jeff, for finally spelling it out for those who still don't get it.

6. magyuan

magyuan Member

that's what i think about :)

7. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Again, Yao went to where he belonged to. The forgotten man.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And thank you, Jeff, for the new sig.

Don't anyone else steal it. It's MINE!!! ;)

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So JVG wanted to foul, that relieves some of the sting.

DD

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Way to step up and admit your mistake Tracy ~ this kind of thing can really bring a team together.

11. rvpals

rvpals Member

It's all right. TMac. It's only one game. We can always get them next time.

12. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

Y'know I watched the play and there was a little confusion, one wouldn't expect Webber to turn so quickly and heave up that three, so I don't blame McGrady for not fouling. It was so quick and unexpected even when there was such little time left.

That certainly surprised me when I saw it on ESPN.

Stuart

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I also liked it how Wesley came to his defense, saying how even though Tracy is saying its all his fault... that one play did not cost us the game. It was the terrible defense throughout that kept the Kings in the game no matter what.

This is a TEAM... people getting each other's backs, and owning up to their mistakes. Padgett is giving all the credit for his performance to Tracy... and Tracy is taking all the blame. If Yao just steps up in consistency, this will be the most well-liked TEAM in Houston since probably 1998.

14. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

On a side note, the crowd seemed to be great last night.

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I TOTALLY respect that attitude. Taking responsibility for a mistake is a big deal.

That quote from JVG about the trade was friggin' priceless.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Word. :)

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Tell it like it is! My kinda guy...;)

--Tiger

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

the postgame interview with VG....he repeats whos fault it is several times...looks like he is ready to cry..you almost feel bad for him

VG taking the loss rather hard

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

A month and a half ago I was blaming all the Rockets problems on Van Gundy and if it were my decision, he would've been gone.

Now, I see glimpses that maybe we can win with him...he's growing on me. I've always liked his attitude in the media, he seems like a very sincere guy that just wants to win. He realized that this team was different from all his other teams and has adapted.

I started to get pissed off at him all over again last night for not fouling, and now I realize that he did want to...and you can't get upset at Mcgrady after all he's done this year. I think this could be one of those losses that is a blessing in disguise...something that gels the team together.

20. ikfit

ikfit Member

I don't want to blame anyone after I know they planed to foul.

Great game, I see the hope.

Just one thing. Our first half defence is terrible and Yao is cold when he try to drive in.

We can beat any team now I belive.

Great progress.

Go rockets