1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Thanksgiving Feast] 2008 edition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Asian Sensation, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Asian Sensation

So it's that time again. You know .... the time where you losen up a few belt notches and gorge on delicious foods meal after meal and day after day. The quesiton is what are you most looking forward to eating? Whether it be appetizers, side dishes, the actual part of the turkey, desserts, beverages, leftover ideas/recipes.

Aside from the most obvious.... I'm looking forward to toasted/spiced mixed nuts for appetizer, candied yams most for side dish, turkey gravy and fresh cranberry sauce. For drink I think I will make a sparkling apple cider cocktail.
    For leftover I can't wait for real turkey, bacon, avocado sandwiches with cranberry on it.

2. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Yesterday I hosted a warm-up dinner and did a seasonal sing-a-long in my yard on a projector. It devolved into a wine fueled Youtube request fest.

I have so much leftovers... its not even Thanksgiving yet. Knee deep in cornbread pudding and turkey, but as Captain Jack said, "why is the wine always gone?"

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I am most looking forward to green bean casserole, homemade mashed potatoes, and pecan pie. YUM.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

We're doing a pre-thanksgiving party tomorrow night with some friends. I'm going to attempt to make the awesome twice baked potatoes that my dad cooks for every holiday. Hopefully they turn out decent.

My woman is baking an apple pie right now and making the house smell yummy. :)

5. Asian Sensation

I remember you talking about the twice baked potatoes last year. I think It was you if memory serves right. Anyways, can share the recipe your doing? Thanks

6. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Green bean caserole with the obvious thanksgiving dinner....extra gravy BTW and pumpkin loaf for dessert. :D

7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

The stuff is like fast food with crack in it! That's the one thing that was gone after last night. My gf picked up more GB casserole supplies on the way home from work even though we're both going to visit our folks for the week tomorrow... its irrational it is.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

ALL OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm fasting on Wednesday. :D

9. conquistador#11

i haven't had anything more than oatmeal and water/coffee since saturday in preparation for Triple header Thursday day. :) I will have every kind of pie available.

10. Isabel

Isabel Member

pecan pie. Though I've been in the middle of a kind of diet, as far as my diets go, and hate to ruin it now.

We'll be at the buffet, so I can have a gourmet salad for my main course...

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Sure, I just got done with them. Won't know till tomorrow though how they taste, but I think they're gonna be goooood. :)

I made 5 large potatoes, so 10 halves.

Preheat over to 400
    Wash the potatoes, and spray them with Pam or rub some olive oil on them
    Place the potatoes directly on the oven rack, and bake for 1 hour @ 400
    Once they are baked, let them cool for about 10 mins and then slice them in half down the sides

Scoop out the insides of each half and place in a mixing bowl.
    Add 8 - 10 tablespoons of butter to the mixing bowl depending on how you like it. You can start off with less and taste as you go.
    Add about a third of a cup of milk
    Add half a teaspoon each of salt and pepper
    Mix until there are no lumps and it's nice and creamy

Line a cookie sheet with foil, and place the empty shells on it
    Scoop up the potato mixture and fill up the shells. Don't overfill, just fill close to the top and flatten them out
    Generously cover with shredded cheddar cheese
    Sprinkle with paprika

If you make them the night before like me, cover with saran wrap and store in the fridge. Once you're about ready to serve them, bake them for another 15 minutes @ 350 degrees.

That's it. If you make them let me know how it turns out.

#11 Harrisment, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  12. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Dressing and pecan pie!!!

Well, all of it.

I can't wait!

I'm attempting to make a pumpkin cheesecake for Thursday.

13. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

All the sweet stuff. Candied yams, pies, fruit salad... oh I can feel the cavities forming and the hips growing already.... :D

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Well, everyone is coming up for Thanksgiving and I'll be cooking...I'll be making Turkey, Mashed Potatoes, green bean and corn caserole and cornbread stuffing...I have to go buy the turkey today and let it marinade for a couple of days...

I actually love to cook and can't wait to eat...mmm...

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm actually already looking forward to Thanksgiving 2009. It will be the first time my wife and I have hosted. In the 10 years we've been together, we've done Thanksgiving at my parents and Christmas at her's (my family is Jewish, so spending Christmas there is kind of pointless). Well, now that we have 1 child and another on the way, we've finally put our foot down. This year, we are still going to my parents for Thanksgiving, but Christmas is in Round Rock. Next year, we travel no more. I have no idea what Thanksgiving and Christmas is like in Austin as I've never spent one here.

17. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

We're pretty non-traditionalists. My wife (the chef) is making chicken fettucine with homemade pasta and home-cured pancetta. We're also having parmesean onion soup and a praline semifredo for dessert.

That's one of my favorite meals, and since we didn't have time to chef it up on my birthday, I'm getting it a few weeks late. :)

18. Asian Sensation

19. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

We're going to buy a deep fried turkey this year.. We've never tried one, but what's not to like about something deep fried? If it's really that bad, we'll have plenty of sides to eat..

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My wife is going to do a turducken. Should be interesting, at least.