1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thanks Obama: debt grows at rate of $3M/minute

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

That chart is pretty fair but my guess is Obama would have also supported Medicare part D. Thank God he didn't so he can cut it to pieces now though.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Ur charts are crap, after 10 years they are no longer Bush tax cuts. The second chart has too much wrong to comment on.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

He had 58 Democrats and two Independent senators that caucused with the Democrats. But one of them, Joe Lieberman, who endorsed McCain in 2000, was on the GOP short list for VP against Obama/Biden and, during that time, wouldn't rule out running as a Republican for re-election, was anything but a sure vote. There were two other Democrats (whose names elude me now) whose votes were hard won if they were won at all. And each of those three votes always came at an extreme cost compared to Obama's actual agenda.

Of course, 58 even semi-reliable votes should have been more than enough. The reason it wasn't is that, for the first time in our country's history, Republicans made Obama pass practically anything of significance with 60 votes. Threat of filibuster, previously reserved for extreme exceptions, became the norm. Obama literally needed 9 more votes out of 100 than any prior president did, on more proposals than any other president. To defeat Obama's agenda (or force extreme compromise) the GOP only had to pick off one Democrat or Lieberman, who voted with them as often as not.

This thing about Obama's majority in the Senate is r****ded. He has had his hands tied from day one. What he's accomplished in the face of that is really amazing.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

What has he accomplished? What aspect of any American's life is better? economy is worse, unemployment up, misery index is up, terrorist threat alert I believe is the same, federal debt is way up, healthcare prices are up, gas prices are up, food prices are way up, polls gauging Americans' outlook of the future are worse. All while having more congressional control than any president in my lifetime. I am confused why he is even running for office again. It takes quite a bit of mental gymnastics to justify not admitting failure.

5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

He passed health care reform, he got the SALT 2 passed, he was able to pass some bit of stimulus that helped the economy from being even worse, he's created jobs, he got OBL, he helped topple Qaddafi without losing any US troops, he's reduced forces in Iraq, he extended unemployment benefits, etc.

The list of his accomplishments goes on, and it's extensive. It's a shame how much he had to compromise, and how some of his measures were so watered down, because of the GOP, and Tea Party obstructionists.

1 person likes this.
  6. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

You consider it an accomplishment just to pass something. Every aspect of every American's life is worse than when Obama took office. Somewhere in soul-less Obama's egotistical brain this must be picking at him.

7. Northside Storm

Their taxes are reduced, OBL is dead, and a tyrannous dictatorship just fell, isn't that neo-con/libertarian heaven?

Also, Dow is at 11000, not that it's correct to assert this, but hey, using some wonky Republican logic, it seems the markets have priced in Obama success!

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Really?

Didn't Obama do away with the Fairness Doctrine thus making life better for Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage, Boortz, etc.?

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Member

In what way did Obama 'do away' with the fairness doctrine? Also the fairness doctrine was not being implemented when Obama took office, so those radio hosts' lives are not better.

10. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

i like how Tallan chose to respond to rim instead of northside's comment. Very nice.

11. SunsRocketsfan

Not going to get into the whole who's fault is it and the stupid blame game but I agree with you. I'm always very skeptical when it comes to graphs and charts. For some reason people take visual charts as the holy grail and never question the data or source. For example Al Gores ridiculous claims in his crappy movie and his ridiculous CO2 charts.
    Anyone can publish charts and graphs. And a lot of times there is an agenda and huge bias when it relates to politics.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

do you ever get tired of being a complete ****ing r****d? btw, my life has been exponentially better since obama took office, in nearly every aspect. except having to read garbage like this every god damn day.

13. mc mark

mc mark Member

We all create our own environments.

It's a testament to your negativity, pessimism, unhelpfulness and unconstructiveness that you have such a view of the President. It has nothing to do with his handling of the job or what he has done for the country. The fault lies with you, not the President.

Maybe you should start looking for ways to be constructive in your assessment and add a more respectful and adult approach to the conversation?

1 person likes this.
  14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

that was a much nicer way of putting it. :)

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Well if you believe those things I mentioned that happened aren't accomplishments, then your misunderstanding of the political system, and the US is severe.

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

are you high on something .

17. Granville

Granville Member

So...when Obama arrived on the scene, he immediately gave up hope that he could change anything.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

No, that was just us. Thankfully Obama still tried.

19. SunsRocketsfan

Actually I'm pretty sure Obama sold the idea of hope and change quite a bit. His whole slogan and campaign was littered with the word HOPE and CHANGE. Not saying he didnt try but I came to realize and stop caring about party affiliation as much because it doesnt really matter who's in office. I don't think things would be much different (economy, unemployment) now if McCain was elected to office.