1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst calls Allen police to get relative out of jail

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Felixthecat, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Good thing the sergeant didn't give in to this idiot politician.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...-allen-police-to-get-relative-out-of-jail.ece

When a family member was arrested and accused of shoplifting in Allen earlier this month, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst decided to “jump into” action to get her out of jail.
    The Allen Police Department released audio Wednesday of a call the longtime lieutenant governor made at 10:15 p.m. on Aug. 3 on behalf of Ellen Bevers. Dewhurst said during the call that Bevers inadvertently walked out of a Kroger with $57 in goods she didn’t pay for, along with $42 of items she did buy.
    Formal charges haven’t been filed yet, but Allen police spokesman Jon Felty said they will be in the next week or two. Theft of between $50 and $500 is a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to a $2,000 fine and no more than 180 days in jail.
    Opponents quickly accused the three-term lieutenant governor of abusing his power. A Dewhurst aide said the Republican was careful to tell police he wasn’t asking them to violate normal procedures.
    Bevers, who Dewhurst said is a teacher, could not be reached for comment.
    Dewhurst said Bevers — who he describes as a sister-in-law and a step-niece-in-law in different parts of the call — was “100 percent innocent.” He told the officer, Sgt. Jonathan Maness, that he wanted to know how he could “get her out of jail, post bond, whatever.”
    “I intend to jump into this and see what can be done to prevent this very nice lady, through a miscarriage of justice, from spending the night in jail,” Dewhurst said at the end of the call. “Now, I may not be able to do anything, but it’s whatever the law says.”
    Dewhurst mentioned several times that he is the lieutenant governor. He also offered to have Department of Public Safety Director Steve McCraw and DPS Lt. Brad Weatherford call Allen police to vouch for him.
    “Sergeant, you don’t know me, but I am every year the No. 1 pick of all of the law enforcement agencies within Texas. The No. 1 pick,” Dewhurst said. “And I’m a supporter of you. You don’t know it, but I’m a supporter of you. I’m a supporter of everybody in law enforcement. And I want you to do whatever is the proper thing.”
    Toward the end of the 12-minute call, Maness told Dewhurst that he would send a squad car to transfer Bevers from the city jail to Collin County jail, where she could post bond, even though it was a busy Saturday night.
    Felty, the Allen police spokesman, said it is common for officers to help people expedite release of their relatives in custody. It’s unclear exactly how long Bevers was in custody. Records show she was booked into Collin County Jail on Aug. 3 and released the next day.
    In an email, Dewhurst spokesman Travis Considine pointed out excerpts from the call when Dewhurst made clear that he wanted to stay within the law.
    “David acted as a concerned family member in an attempt to acquire information on how to post bail for his niece while reiterating multiple times in the full conversation that law enforcement follow their normal protocols and procedures,” he said.
    Rita Kirk, the Director of the Cary M. Maguire Center for Ethics & Public Responsibility at Southern Methodist University, said she understands why Dewhurst’s approach would cause concern. But, she said, “he walked pretty close to the line.”
    “It was clear that he didn’t want her to spend the night in jail,” she said. “It was the kind of concern that any normal human would have.”
    She also said Maness, who mostly remained quiet and declined to give out his supervisor’s cellphone number, was a role model for professionalism.
    The call was made public as Dewhurst gears up to face several Republican primary challengers in his bid for a fourth term as the leader of the state Senate. Dewhurst lost a Republican primary runoff for a U.S. Senate seat last year.
    Some of Dewhurst’s opponents took aim at him late Wednesday.
    Sen. Dan Patrick, R-Houston, said the call was a “blatant abuse of power.” Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples tweeted that Maness “made all law enforcement proud” when he didn’t “bow to political pressure.”
    Matt Angle, director of a Democratic effort called the Lone Star Project, said Dewhurst crossed the line by personally calling Allen officials.
    “The lieutenant governor shouldn’t make that kind of call,” Angle said. “I know it’s his family, but in that kind of situation they should have had a lawyer make their case.”
    Bruce Buchanan, a government professor at the University of Texas at Austin, said Dewhurst’s call reminded him of a 2000 video of then-Lt. Gov. Rick Perry trying to finagle out of a speeding ticket. In a moment seized on by his political opponents, Perry famously told the officer “Why don’t you just let us get on down the road?”
    “It’s not kosher necessarily, generally, to pull rank and call attention to your status as a subtle or unsubtle hint that would get you a special advantage,” Buchanan said.
    But, Buchanan added, the public should cut Dewhurst some slack because he was just “trying to help a relative who made a mistake.”

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's actually enough for me to not gripe about it. The "miscarriage" stuff is a little blech; but politicians are always selling, and I think this happens all the time, and for people with relatives far less prominent than Dewhurst. I also think cops do it all the time without any outside pressure, just based on their own discretion. That doesn't mean it's not worth disclosing or reporting on.

3. Felixthecat

It's pretty simple. If you want to bail someone out of jail, you call a bail bonds man. You don't call asking for the supervisor on duty and then asking for cell phone numbers to judges.

He was abusing his power and attempting to intimidate the officers with his name dropping.

SCUM.

4. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

On an unrelated note Bruce Buchannan was my old government professor at UT. He was a great professor...good to hear that he still teaches.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Are we really going to whine about a politician trying to help a relative from spending the night in jail over $57 in stolen goods? Of all the crooked things politicians do, lets spot light this issue.
    Why is she even in jail overnight for this in the first place?

6. Felixthecat

A crime is a crime. And he could have helped her by calling a bail bonds company. Calling the police station and putting the officers in an awkward position isn't very cool either.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I understand. A woman beater or a drunk walking out of jail after an hour of being there is the equivalency of someone stealing $57.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I just want to translate this title into bobmarley/bigtexxx speak, for the sake of accuracy of course.

White Texas Politician Attempts to Aid Alleged Criminal

1 person likes this.
  9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Women and sobriety were worth a hell of a lot less, once.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You come across as very bitter and angry. Lighten up. TIA

11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Kicking at their level still, eh?

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Haha the poster child for cognitive dissonance

13. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Maybe the judge had already gone home for the day and she has to wait for morning to see him. Also with it being 50 and over I believe its an automatic trip. I would bet anything that this girl walks out of that store with many items unpaid for pretty much every time she goes in there. This was not her first time, just the first time she got caught.

But you are right some politicians do worse but I'm glad she spent the night in jail.

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

lol very funny..

BTW, Marley, do you realize that Bob Marley was half black and was against virtually every political opinion you express?

I guess you like the reggae beat, but not the message?

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

He hasn't even posted in this thread... Someone has an agenda.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

As political scandals go, this one is pretty dang bland -- candidate for Governor does some name-dropping. OK. Bump the thread when his sexting pictures leak, or something.

17. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Does it really matter? It's not like he will be the Lt. for much longer. This didn't help him, but I doubt it will hurt him. He was burnt toast going into last session.

Unfortunately, looks like Dan Patrick will be his replacement...yippee?

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Worse things have happened than her or his actions, but it does paint him as a self entitled twit of a politician.

Just shows you this stuff, and much worse I'm sure, happens all the time.

I'm glad they didn't cave in, but what do you bet they regret it later if not already. That will be the real story here.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Isn't he the favorite to be the next governor?

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Mavarick candidate helps fix tax money misuse due to overcrowding.