1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas A&M Student Senate Passes Discriminatory LGBT Bill

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jayhow92, Apr 4, 2013.

1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-951202

[​IMG]

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'm shocked they would do something like this.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

go here, that is messed up. I don't know how much power the student senate has on issues like this but hope it doesn't pass.

Most of us are very accepting, its just a small group of individuals (Mostly Texas-Aggie-Conservatives).

4. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Haven't they opened themselves up for a discrimination lawsuit of some sort with this action? Lawyers please educate me on this one..

5. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Sorry, i don't buy it. Why is this "small group" a majority in the student senate. A&M has its reputation for a reason.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What about the poor Sheep?

[​IMG]

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea I would think so too, but you'd be surprised at how big much support the LGBT gets from other organizations and students that aren't a part of it. There is a strong voice from The Texas Aggie Conservatives (they have done some pretty deplorable things apart from this..) and Aggies For Christ but the majority of people are accepting.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

9. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

This will never go anywhere - presumably, if this was adopted by the university, any student could opt out of paying any fee for any "moral" reason.

It's just another symbolic action instigated by a gaggle of loudmouth morons.

10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

It really is a relatively small group. They just make a lot of noise. They're also, basically, the only types of people who run for student senate.

11. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

So students(parents) want the choice where their money goes? If students(parents) don't want to fund a part of the school they disagree with, why do they have to?

What is illegal about this?

What exactly is the LGBT Resource center for?

12. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Do you pay taxes?

13. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Seems to me that this opens the school up for a bunch of BS work, as now other students can presumably try to opt out of funding other things they might disagree with. This is just a bad precedent to set.

As an Aggie, I cringed when I read this. If there is an LGBT resource center, is there also a religious or Christian resource center? I do not remember an LGBT resource center when I attended.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am curious but do any of the religious student groups get any university resources?

15. likestohypeguy

No way this bill will stand, once national organizations get on board. You can't just decide to not give the LGBT community your money, unless cuts are also made for every other similarly school funded resource. How about this- no LGBT community center? Fine. Then no football either, biggots.

The LGBT community has RIGHTS!

:mad:

16. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I don't care at all about gay rights one way or the other, but I went to a school in Minnesota, which meant that money from our activity fee went to MPIRG, which was a group devoted towards leftist organizing and activism. As someone who wasn't leftist, I definitely hated that.

17. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I bet the school also supported groups devoted to the opposite point of view. That's the thing about college, you are supposed to learn stuff there. Learning organization and activism is valuable.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Student Senates can actually pass real things? Lol, that's stupid. College students are idiots. TAMU used to have a high-ranking position dedicated to diversity, they need that back. This is embarrassing.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you went to the U your money also went to groups like College Republicans too.

20. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Well, I went to Macalester, so nope.