1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans zero in on Wong & Bradford

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hottoddie, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

It seems that Rob Johnson is balking at the contract offer. This could be the perfect situation for him, to play behind what is shaping up to be a stud offensive line. He'd also get to work under Palmer again & have a chance to regain his old form. So, what's the problem?

It sounds like Wong really wants to play here. He could be our second starting linebacker.

Bradford would be a nice receiver & a definite starter.

While Chris Chandler is often injured, when he's healthy, he's one of the best quaterbacks out there. If Johnson doesn't make up his mind soon, I could be satisfied with Chandler playing behind this offensive line.

Sorry Ric, but I can't temper my enthusiasm for this team's chances at the playoffs in the next couple of years. Especially, if they keep bringing in the quality of players they've done so far. Here's the article:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/fb/nfl/1285124

Texans zero in on Wong, Bradford
    Negotiations with Johnson at impasse
    By CARLTON THOMPSON
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

The Texans introduced their first unrestricted free-agent signee Wednesday, and they could have two more today.

Guard Steve McKinney said goodbye to Indianapolis and hello to Houston, inking a five-year, $15.5 million deal with the Texans, who also were close to reaching agreements with Minnesota Vikings linebacker Kailee Wong and Green Bay Packers receiver Corey Bradford.

"I'm really excited about Houston," Wong said. "My wife loves it. It looks like it would be a great fit. I'm hoping I don't have to make any more trips."

Wong was in Cleveland on Tuesday and got an offer from the Browns on Wednesday. Minnesota fell out of the picture, so Wong's decision basically has come down to Houston or Cleveland.

"Both teams are definitely very interested," Wong's agent, Steve Baker, said late Wednesday night. "Cleveland was very aggressive, and Houston made a very good offer. I think it could be wrapped up in the next 24 hours."

The fact Wong remained in Houston on Wednesday would seem an indication he's leaning toward the Texans.

Cleveland is interested in Wong as a middle linebacker, the position he played in Minnesota, but the lure of rushing the passer from the outside linebacker position in Texans coach Dom Capers' 3-4 scheme likely will be too strong to resist.

"I would get to play a position where I could really be a force," Wong said. "Linebackers are aggressive by nature, but a 3-4 defense is the epitome of aggressiveness.

"I was a defensive end in college, a pass rusher. That's really where my heart is. I would love to have an opportunity to play outside linebacker. That's kind of what (the Texans) pin me as, an outside guy who can come off the corner. My preference, I'd have to say, is outside."

Meanwhile, negotiations with free-agent quarterback Rob Johnson are at a stalemate. The Texans are holding firm to their one-year, $1 million commitment, and Johnson has said Houston is where he wants to be and that money won't be an issue. Nevertheless, he and his agent have not pulled the trigger on the deal.

"We're not going to wait a long time," Texans general manager Charley Casserly said. "They expressed a strong interest to play here, so there's a time in there to negotiate. And if you see it's not getting done, you move on. I can't tell you when that is, but we can't afford to wait around a long time."

The Texans, who almost certainly will take Fresno State's David Carr with the first pick of the college draft, want to get a veteran quarterback to bridge the gap until Carr is ready to play.

Denver backup Gus Frerotte, whom Casserly drafted in Washington, was scheduled to be in Houston today. But Frerotte canceled his trip after deciding he wanted a more stable situation than a one-year, if that long, stint over Carr.

The Texans also have been in contact with the agent for free-agent quarterback Chris Chandler, who spent the past five seasons in Atlanta and had a two-year stint as the Oilers' starting quarterback.

The Texans also signed former CFL quarterback Ben Sankey on Wednesday. He's a 6-2, 215-pounder from Wake Forest.

Chicago Bears linebacker Greg Jones and Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Bobby Shaw will visit the Texans today. Bears running back James Allen and Washington Redskins tight end Stephen Alexander are expected to be in Houston on Friday.

But Wednesday belonged to McKinney, who celebrated a homecoming after spending the first four years of his career in Indianapolis. McKinney attended Clear Lake High School and Texas A&M.

"This is the culmination of a dream," said McKinney, who received a $3.5 million signing bonus. "I've spent my whole life preparing for this moment. Growing up in Texas, I know how big football is here. To come back home and play for a professional team here in Houston is unbelievable."

Said Texans owner Bob McNair: "When we discussed the prototype player that we wanted, never could we have imagined that we would find someone who fits the bill as closely as Steve does."

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

does anybody else notice what's missing from this article...i read it earlier this morning and thought, "hey..that's great about wong...but there's absolutely no information at all about Bradford past the simple statement that they're focusing on him." not sure what that means, if anything.

i too am pumped about the Texans....Super Bowl in 2004!!! woo hoo!!! :)

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I noticed that as well. But, with the impending trade by Green Bay to acquire Glenn from New England, it would seem that Bradford is most probably going to leave. Maybe, it's just in the early phase of negotiations. I believe that he visited another team as well & his agent might be trying to play the two against each other. "Super Bowl in 2004!!!", I like the way you dream. :D Dreamers unite!

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

he's been injured and/or inconsistent during his packer career (isn't every packer receiver injured and/or inconsistent?) i'm guessing his size (6'1", nearly 200-lbs) and his potential, not to mention, likely, a relatively cheap contract is the draw.

btw, they signed wong: 4-yr/$12+M deal.

one of the best is stretching it; he's competent, but he's always injured. and both mcnair and vick had horrible times under his wing; i don't want chris chandler anywhere near david carr.

they'll be a very good expansion team; they'll win 5-6 games and be competitive in all 16. but anything beyond that is asking a bit much, imo. guys like wong, bradford... likely james allen, etc., they're serviceable, but by no means great players. (actually, wong's better than that, but he's not exactly a pro bowler). and, again, they have no skills players, no pass rusher... glaring holes left to fill that they likely won't be able to address this year.

5. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wong is officially a Texan.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1347094.html

Wong chooses Capers, Texans over Browns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

The expansion Houston Texans now have the outside pass rusher so critical to coach Dom Capers' 3-4 defense and free-agent linebacker Kailee Wong has a new home.

ESPN.com has learned that Wong agreed to a four-year contract with the Texans very early Thursday morning and after a long period of agonizing deliberations. Financial details of the contract were not yet available, but it is worth more than $3 million annually and will pay him about $5 million in 2002 between his signing bonus and base salary.

Wong, 25, chose the Texans over the Cleveland Browns, whose offer was similar to that of the Texans. The determining factor was that he will play outside linebacker in Houston and would have played middle linebacker for the Browns.

In the 3-4 scheme that is a Capers staple, the outside linebacker positions are premium spots, since those players get plenty of pass rush opportunities. The scheme actually enhances the skills of quick, upfield players, and Wong has played outside previously in his career. He has never had more than three sacks in a season but always demonstrated good pass rush skills.

The former Stanford star was the second-round pick of the Vikings in the 1998 draft. After bouncing between strongside linebacker and defensive end his first three seasons, he moved to middle linebacker in 2001 and posted 99 tackles at the relatively foreign position.

Over the past two seasons, Wong started all 32 games and totaled 210 tackles. For his career, he has played in 60 games and started 41 of them. He has 270 tackles, 6 ½ sacks, three interceptions and 11 passes defensed.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not that I've noticed him in a game, but I am not going to say he will be the big pass rusher the Texans need till I see him or atleast get some good commentary explaining his lack of sacks before he moved to middle linebacker.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Wong is alright, I just hope they didn't lose out on Holdman because of him. Wong didn't come cheap, but he is young, a big plus.

I also agree with Ric on Chandler, good player but far from a tutor. If we got a Johnson for 1 mil that would be great, but we should not tie up much money at all in the QB if we are going to draft Carr. Mike Quinn or a cheapie guy with some pro experience like Anthony Wright would be fine for a half season or even a whole season before you put Carr in there. Spend money elsewhere.

#7 Desert Scar, Mar 7, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2002
  8. Hey Now!

he wasn't a starter until they moved him to MLB.

9. Hey Now!

burn! my scoop beat your scoop! :)

10. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

is wong of asian decent?

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Wong should be awesome for the Texans.

Chandler is as good a fit as anyone. Although he didn't coddle McNair or Vick, he is used to playing in front of the kids. I think he's a better fit than Johnson. He's got a strong arm and has proven that he can move the ball if given the time. Johnson hasn't proven much of anything to anyone.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Wong is one of the best cover OLB's in the NFL, because of his speed.

OLBs in the 3-4 are far from polished pass rushers. They are basically fast OLB's who can turn the corner against OTs.

He should rack up close to 10 sacks.