1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Texans Wildcard Watch: Who Do We Pull For/Against From Here On Out?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ima_drummer2k, Nov 16, 2009.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If Denver keeps on losing (which will most likely be the case), we don't have to worry about San Diego anymore, since they will be a division winner. So oddly enough, we should start pulling FOR the Chargers so they won't be in the Wildcard mix. We should pull AGAINST the Broncos from here on out.

The Steelers losing to the Bengals at home was a BAD thing for us. We should pull for the Steelers to win their division, since we already have the tiebreaker against the Bengals. If we finish with the same record, we get in (I think). I can't understand how they're 7-2 (with 2 wins against the Steelers) when we handled them pretty easily in Cinci.

Obviously, we should pull AGAINST the Jags. We're in big trouble if we lose to them again. I really think that loss could come back and bite us more than any other loss this year.

We should pull FOR the Patriots, since we play them in Week 17. I was really hoping they would beat the Colts last night. We have to hope like crazy they win out and make that game against us meaningless for them.

Other teams we should pull AGAINST are Miami, New York, and Baltimore. Luckily, the Jets SEEM to have come back down to earth after their hot start. The Ravens are average and so are the Dolphins. But we still need to keep an eye on all 3 of these teams.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Well, I'm worried about the Jags and Titans right now. They seem to be turning their seasons around. For the next 2 games, if we can't win, we'll be 5-6, tied with the Titans (if they win against us and Arizona).

Jags could be 6-5 win against Buffalo and loss against San Fran.

The next 5 games after that are crucial:

HOU -

@Jags
    SEA
    STL
    MIA
    New England

We could go 3-2 or 4-1.

JAGS -

HOU
    MIA
    IND
    New England
    Cleveland

Jags might falter since they got Indy, New England and Miami. I say they go 2-3.

TITTYTANS -

IND
    STL
    MIA
    SD
    SEA

I'm seeing favorable schedule for the Titans. They could go 4-1 (loss to Indy).

3. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Denver may keep losing, but they've beaten really good teams and loss to really bad teams; but I think with their stout defense and good offensive play calling, they have a good chance to get to 10 wins. Their schedule still has Oakland one time and KC twice.

The Bengals will win their division and PITT will take a wild card spot, this is guaranteed unless some crazy injury happens because both their remaining schedules are cake.

No such thing as a meaningless game for the Patriots, even if they did win out and not need to win that game for any purposes. Why bench your stars and risk a loss going into the playoffs?

Momentum and confidence is a huge factor heading into the playoffs.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Remember that it looks like Chris Simms will be starting at quarterback at least for next week, maybe longer. I think they were quite a fluke to start the season. Their defense has gotten drastically worse in the past few weeks and their offense is not capable of coming back late in games. I think they finish 8-8.

5. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Yeah, its a ankle injury. If he's out next week, he'll probably make it back the following week. So I don't think that big of a factor if they play one game without 'em, but since its a big division game at home; maybe they'll shoot up that ankle and play.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The Texans are still in a decent spot. The Colts loss didn't hurt us too badly since we aren't really fighting for a division title anyways. If anything, the fact that the Colts are still winning might be better for us since they seem to be running away with the AFC now, and might not fight as hard for a win here at Reliant in a couple of weeks. The game we should all have circled on our calendars is our away game at Jacksonville. They are directly in front of us in the standings, and they already have a win against us this year. If they beat us in that game, kiss any hopes of the playoffs goodbye.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Regardless of what we need to happen out of our control, we have no excuse for not going 10-6. Win two of the next three, then take care of business against Seattle, St. Louis, and Miami (an eliminated Miami by then) ... all teams that we should beat. I'm not counting on New England to be an easy win- at this point it looks like they might be jostling for a first round bye.

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Man worst case scenario weekend. We're now behind Steelers, Chargers and Jags and Baltimore if they win tonight.

Week 11 matchups with implications
    Indy (9-0) @ Bal (5-4 or 4-5)
    Pitt (6-3) @ KC (2-7)
    SD (6-3) @ Den (6-3)
    Buf (3-6) @ Jac (5-4)
    NYJ (4-5) @ NE (6-3)
    Ten (3-6) @ Hou (5-4)

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The 4 other games include San Diego, Giants, Colts and Eagles. They definitely can get to 10 wins, but who knows.

The Ravens still play the Colts, Steelers twice, at Green Bay in December and Chicago.

I don't really see a reason to scoreboard watch, yet. Assuming taking care of business and finishing 10-6 (whether two losses are to the Colts, Pats, Dolphins or even one of the "definite" wins), they may lose out on a tiebreaker, but have a decent enough shot to get in at that point.

I see Colts, Patriots, Bengals and Steelers as in. Either the Broncos or Chargers win the West and I think the other team is fighting it out with the Texans for the last playoff spot (assuming the Texans don't choke).

10. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

11. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Couple of great posts so far. I always do my best to try to stay up to date with football but my knowledge of the sports is quite hazy.

I always love reading the posts around here, nice work. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

12. Major

Major Member

Why not just root against all these teams? :) The only time that's not possible is this week's Chargers/Broncos game... but besides that, it seems like the Chargers and Broncos both losing would help the Texans more than the Chargers winning and the Broncos losing. Same w/ Cinci and Pitt.

13. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Here are the games from most significant to least significant in terms of the Texans and the playoffs.

Texans over Titans -- No explanation needed.

Chiefs over Steelers -- A Steelers loss and a Texans victory would vault Houston over Pittsburgh in the standings.

Colts over Ravens -- We have to think the division is no longer attainable. A Ravens loss and Texans win would move Houston past Baltimore in the standings.

Raiders over Bengals -- A Bengals victory would not have a major negative impact on the Texans' playoff chances. However, a Raiders win would help the Texans get closer to the Bengals record, and we own the tiebreaker against Cincy.

Bills over Jaguars -- A Bills win or a tie would be beneficial for the Texans.

Patriots over Jets -- With the Jets just a game back, a Pats victory and Texans win would push New York further back in the standings.

Broncos over Chargers -- As of right now it would be better if the Chargers lost to the Broncos since San Diego owns the 6th seed. Whoever wins this game will be in the driver's seat to win the West. We will want the other team to implode.

Panthers over Dolphins -- With Miami one game behind us in the standings a loss by them would help Houston.

Even though it's unlikely, if all of the above games work out that way, the Texans will jump into the 5th spot in the AFC. :cool:

14. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Denver or San Diego, one of them most take a titanic nose dive for the rest of the season. Denver seems ready to do such, but I would like it to be San Diego because I just don't like that team, although I would feel bad for Travis Johnson.

Jacksonville needs to start falling. They have an easier schedule and could possibly screw us down the line. Our next Jacksonville game is a must win but most of our upcoming games are if we want that wild card spot.

Due to injuries to their running game, the Jets and Dolphins might be out of the race but we can't take them lightly.

When you have enemies at all sides and hounds at the gate wanting your flesh, you know that you are having a good season.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Are you kidding? Why would you feel bad for that waste of a first round draft pick?

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is kind of the way I see it as well.

I figure 2 losses - Colts and New England

The Texans SHOULD be able to win all the rest of the games.
    [Jacksonville I think is the one game they simply CANNOT LOSE]

Rocket River

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, since there is no way we are going to win our division, the 4 division winners can win out, as far as I'm concerned. If they can give the wildcard contenders an extra loss or two, all the better for us. Ideally, I'd like to see the 4 division winners pull away, since that really doesn't affect us. We're all about the WC.

I agree with every one except this one. I think we pull for SD. These two teams are going in opposite directions. We need Denver to not only fall out of division contention, but wildcard contention as well. We need Denver out of the picture as soon as possible.

If SD loses this game, they will still be a formidable contender for the WC. If Denver loses, I don't see them even making the playoffs. Denver is free falling.

18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, root for Denver to lose (and free-fall) and the Steelers/Ravens to split their two games head-to-head this year.

19. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Far from a great player, TJ was however loyal to the team and did contribute in small ways to making us a good defense. Honestly, I'd prefer (a healthy) TJ over what I am seeing with Cody and Robinson, and I think under Bush and Dline coach Kollar he probably would have been a lot better under this defensive regime. Sadly that hernia of his really forced the issue and caused him to get traded.

Oh well, I doubt San Diego is going to reup him so, he actually might be able to prove himself next season going a league minimum and make the Texans roster if he really wanted.

20. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

That loss to Jacksonville at Reliant may have done us in. It also woke the Jags up. We do that from time to time.
    Bottom line is you have to win your divisional games. We could survive the Indy losses but have to sweep the Titans and Jags.
    The Oilers only lost four games one season (two to Pittsburgh and two to Cincinnati) during the 14-game-schedule days, went 10-4 and missed the playoffs because they were divisional losses. Steelers won the division and the Bengals a wild card.
    Have to win the remaining Jax and Ten games or no chance.