1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. raining threes

Give me three $25,000 cars with one of those cars having a chance to appreciate to a $40,000 car over a single 40,000 car.

2. raining threes

If Blacklock is really good then the DL should be much improved from a pass rush stand point. I am worried about the run defense. They are weaker at S and hopefully better at edge with Edjifor coming back and adding Greenard. Where I'm really hoping improvement comes from is having a fully healthy Roby and a fully integrated Conley plus I hope LJo shows 2nd yr improvement.

3. raining threes

Which should be much higher than the 4th rder BOB gave them in 2020.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The fact that we’re even talking about the *possibility* of moving up from the 130th pick to the 114th in 2021 as part-justification for the trade just shows how bad it was IMO.

Blurr#7 and conquistador#11 like this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I was just stating my thoughts on the other receivers being equal or not. I have come to terms with why the trade happened, but i will NEVER like the trade. Even if Dhop has 2 catches then goes out for the year and DJ goes back to his 2016 year. We still took on a massive salary and couldnt get a first round pick or even Patrick Peterson which was an actual position of need. No matter how anyone involved in the trade pans out, it still was a bad trade straight up. How they couldnt get a first for a top 3 WR is beyond me.

Astrodome and Nimo like this.
  6. raining threes

Depends on how good Blacklock/Cooks/DJ are.

Crutch City likes this.
  7. raining threes

If they would've gotten pick 30 instead of 40 you would have been happy. With Nuk wanting a new contract that wasn't happening.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not buying that. And Texans' GM post-RS hasn't earned the right of benefit of doubt with trades.

9. gucci888

Just curious why Cooks is part of the equation. No assets from the trade were used on him, it was a completely separate transaction.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Agreed 100%

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

In this analogy, all three cars added up to $25,000. If he got $75 like you're saying for a car worth $40K then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. That's a good deal. In this case, he got $25K for a $40K car. Sure those cars could add up and appreciate to $40K; but you could have had $40K that appreciated to $65K. Like no one gets mad at Miami or Jacksonville for trading Tunsil and Ramsey. They got their $40K for their car at the time of the sale.

#1591 Nimo, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    houstonstime likes this.
  12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

well at least you’re admitting being a hater of OBrien that will ignore the outcome to focus on a perceived loss.

Personally, in retrospect - outside of trading him a season earlier, I don’t think there was anything better the Texans could have gotten for Clowney, and that they were better off with the draft capital they received.

And I hated the trade at the time thinking they had really screwed the pooch.

13. raining threes

Disagree because I think Bkacklock has a chance to be a $40,000 car by himself and a guy who's played in 2 of the last 3 SB's surely isn't a $10,000 car.

14. raining threes

They essentially got Cooks for Hopkins and moved up to 40 to draft Bkacklock.

15. raining threes

What are you not buying? Would you be happy with pick 30 instead of 40.

You say BOB hasn't earned the right, what would he have to do to earn that right IYO?

BTW, just because you think this doesn't make it true, you don't like any of the trades BPB has made. I do, the only thing I don't like about the Nuk trade is taking on DJ's contract. That money would be better spent on a guy like Bryron Jones or re-signing Reader. IMHO

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Duke will be competing with Jacob Martin who the coaches like very much. And you still have darling Brennan Scarlett; and now we have Greenard too. That's a lot of hopefuls for a team that is desperate for consistent pass rush outside of JJ Watt.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm not buying the whole narrative that this was the best you could do because he wanted a contract. Julio and Michael Thomas wanted new contracts and got it. And absolutely no one would think they could trade for either of them without starting at a 1st round pick.

What I didn't like about BOB's trades? Let's see:
    Duke Johnson - a 3rd rounder for a player that could have gotten cut and was rumored to get cut by the Browns. He was their 3rd back.
    Gareon Conley - a 3rd rounder that the team had decided they were going to bench anyway
    Laremy Tunsil - great player but two first round picks??? And he needed a new contract too like we've been told Hopkins does. Love Kenny Stills though
    Brandin Cooks - great player but also was rumored to be cut. A 2 is high but I'm not too upset about this one. I'm okay.
    Hopkins - you know how I feel about this one
    Clowney - they botched this so badly. The timing, the return, the publicity.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Nope. Not a hater. I've said I think he is a good head coach but needs a good OC. I'm not impressed with him as a GM so far but small sample size.

If they couldn't find good value for Clowney, they should have just let Clowney play out his last year. He was willing to do so. The team missed his presence on the line, especially when Watt got injured.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Miami stood their ground until they got what they wanted for Tunsil. They were willing to hold on to him and let him play out the year. That drove up the price. Jags held on the Ramsey until they found a partner willing to pay them the 2 1sts they wanted. Even the Giants got a 1st and some for Odell. If they weren't satisfied with the returns, just let Hopkins play. I'm sure the price would have gone up when the Texans looked like they weren't budging. I think the thing in common with Hopkins and Clowney is the report that O'Brien didn't want to coach them anymore. Regardless of what teams offered, he wasn't going to let them play another year as Texans. And you know what, that is a coach's prerogative. Let's call it what it is. it was a bad deal because they wanted to get rid of the player. Let's just hope the players left on the team give us the production the team needs.

20. gucci888

Nah outside of swapping 4th rounders, it was straight up the 40th overall pick and David Johnson for Hopkins. We used our own 2nd rounder on Cooks.

Nimo likes this.