1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. Anonymous8

Anonymous8 Member

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Don't need Nick Chubb when we have DAVID JOHNSON.

Houstunna likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Bill OBrien should do a tour around Houston when the pandemic gets better where he sits there and, for $100, people would put just to chew him out. I’d pay for 2 tickets. He’d be ridiculously rich.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah; this is a remarkably dumb reason to trade - well, virtually *any* good player. And not just because you'd be, you know, trading a good player: if your QB is hyper-reliant on a WR - and we'll put aside that his hyper-reliance has led to B2B double-digit win seasons - IT'S ON THE MOTHER****ING HEAD COACH/OFFENSIVE GURU TO COACH/SCHEME AROUND THIS "PROBLEM"!

I was really hoping Bob-to-Cal would be a positive; I'm flabbergasted it's made the team worse, both today and tomorrow.

MadMax likes this.
  5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I could have recovered from a dhop trade if we didn't take on a bad contract and had gotten atleast 2 first round picks. If this trade was for djohnson and 2 seconds along with 2 firsts. I would say I miss him but we built draft equity. What did we actually get? Crap rb who makes lots of money and zero first round picks.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This to me is the most disheartening thing. With Bob it was frustrating how much loyalty he showed to GMs and coaches, but at least the decisions he made kept us sort of mediocre and somewhat competitive, with flashes of pretty good play. I always hoped that when Cal took over he would keep making decent decisions but hold his hires a little more accountable.

Instead, it has been the opposite. So instead of at least being mediocre with flashes of pretty good, we have been heading steadily downward with little hope for the future. Man, it sucks.

Hey Now! and King1 like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

even more crazy is that there was another video going around a couple of years ago when an opposing coach came over during pregame warmups (might have been an ARZ coach) and told Nuk ... "right now you the best in the game" .. and Nuk just responds .. "I know"

then he goes over to Obrien and the rest of the team and tells them what the coach says and how he responded and they all crack up laughing because YES they know Hopkins is built different.

And then OBrien had a bipolar attack on a Monday. Sigh.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/11/19/w...er-murray-surprise-first-round-qbs-2021-draft

This one, looking back, appears to be the easiest of all these calls. But at the time, the Cardinals had Larry Fitzgerald, a promising young receiver in Christian Kirk, and had drafted three receivers after taking Murray in 2019. And there were whispers about Hopkins’s practice habits, his health, his fit, his off-field activities and his contract demands (with three years left on his existing deal) coming out of Houston.

So by trading for Hopkins, there was risk—and at a position where Arizona didn’t necessarily have a crying need. But there was also a player that Keim saw as special, and potentially too good to pass on, leading the GM to put his scouting hat on and do some background work. Lucky for him, his college position coach, Robbie Caldwell, has been at Clemson for a decade, and was with Hopkins for two full years.

Caldwell’s report came back like this: Fierce competitor … Loves the game … Tough as they come… you will not regret doing it.

This work is, of course, the kind that any GM would do on any trade. But having the background from a guy he’d been around since he was a teenager didn’t heard to cement the idea that Hopkins would fit in. “When you have people like that, that had the background with somebody and they can attest to their character … it certainly gives you confidence.”

That left the financials as the final piece to the puzzle. Hopkins had $39 million left from 2020-22 on his Texans deal, and wanted a raise. As it stood, Arizona would need salary-cap help from somewhere to make it happen. And they got that help.

“We had to dump some money, and figure out where to move some money, so the fact that they took on David Johnson’s entire contract was certainly helpful. That helped quite a bit,” Keim said. “And we just felt like the compensation was just … we didn’t have to give up too much, and felt like we were acquiring a guy for years. Now, I don’t know how long Larry’s going to play. But you’re talking about a true No. 1 receiver in his prime that you can pair with the quarterback for the next four or five years, at least.”

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You different Bro...

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

When BOB dies people will still be visiting his grave to piss on it because of this one trade.

13. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Here's Steve Keim's POV on the trade:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/11/19/w...er-murray-surprise-first-round-qbs-2021-draft

Hopkins had $39 million left from 2020-22 on his Texans deal, and wanted a raise. As it stood, Arizona would need salary-cap help from somewhere to make it happen. And they got that help.

“We had to dump some money, and figure out where to move some money, so the fact that they took on David Johnson’s entire contract was certainly helpful. That helped quite a bit,” Keim said. “And we just felt like the compensation was just … we didn’t have to give up too much, and felt like we were acquiring a guy for years.

BOB is so so dumb.

EDIT: my bad didn't see J.R. already posted it.

#2233 McNultyisDrunk, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  14. blackistan

blackistan Member

This hurts so much to watch

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah...that clearly should have been..."sure, we'll take Johnson off your hands, throw in a first and a second next year"

McNultyisDrunk and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm happy for D-Hop.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I'm glad there's little to no dumb fks still defending this trade. Every week this trade looks shitter

18. KingCheetah

LMAO... Van Halen Jump -- D-Hop tribute.

#NeverForget

19. KingCheetah

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Gosh and we knew him when he was just CRAZY, AWESOME GOOD. This still just makes me sick. I believe Hop has the best hands and possibly ball skills of all time. Why, why, why... 2020 just sucks.