1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins to Arizona

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 16, 2020.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think having Nuk here was going to make us win. The team just isn’t good.

I think for the long run, getting rid of O’Brien was paramount. He’s that bad

vinsensual likes this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Stupid ass choices.
    Even if we traded hopkins, at least make the trade haul somewhat respectable.

We gave up our hall of famer wr for a dud running back.

Hell u could even argue that we could have still lost b/c of incompetence and BoB gets fired. *unlikely

Nook, King1, clos4life and 1 other person like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This post has me confused. Having a legit top 3 receiver can help any team win. The fact that the defense sucks doesn't have anything to do with Hopkins' performance or what we can or cannot do. Look at the Seahawks--their defense is bad but they have Russell Wilson and a bunch of very good receivers that scores a ton and, at the bare minimum, keep them in games and, at a maximum, win games. Our defense is bad but we don't have an offense to rely on to outscore teams every week.

As for O'Brien's fate, his firing shouldn't be dependent on whether or not we still have Hopkins on the roster. If I were Cal I would have intervened and called off the Hopkins trade and immediately fire O'Brien for even trying to make such a trade happen.

clos4life and conquistador#11 like this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

First, Watson is not Russel Wilson
    Second, Seahawks have a lot more talent across the board-Oline, receivers, running backs and possibly the best QB in the game
    Hopkins isn’t going to run the ball, run block and pass protect all while catching a million balls is he?

5. steddinotayto

So you're saying that you rather NOT have Hopkins than have him? I'm trying to understand the thought process because one of the issues this team has is a lack of talent, WR included. Of course if our former GM had actually traded Hopkins for a decent return rather than a busted RB and a pick we might have a brighter future in terms of draft prospects. Unfortunately he didn't. So, for me, if I had to choose between having Hopkins or having David Johnson it wouldn't be a hard choice.

And to elaborate--having Hopkins on this team isn't to just have him. Having Hopkins on this team helps out not only our young QB but also the other receivers on this team and, maybe, our rushing game. Whenever a team has a Top 3 WR the impact is evident. I'm just confused as to why the Texans would be excluded even if this team is full of holes. Would we still have sucked this year with Hopkins? Possibly but that's one NEED you don't have to try and fill because you already have the guy on your roster. O'Brien took one asset that a successful team needs and trade it away and then had to use additional resources to unsuccessfully fill the void left by Hopkins. Teams simply do not land Top 3 WRs on a regular basis unless you're the Steelers.

#2085 steddinotayto, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No I’m not saying that at all, I was answering the question.
    Which is more beneficial to the franchise, Hop here or O’Brien gone.
    Hop is my favorite receiver in the league, if it took getting rid of Hop to get O’Brien gone, and there was no other option, it’s what’s best for the Texans.

steddinotayto likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

Gotcha and thank you for clarifying. I apologize if I was out of line. I don't think (or at least I hope it wouldn't) it should have to take a Hopkins for crap trade, the Texans playing like crap for O'Brien to get canned. Either at the beginning of the season like what had happened or at the end of the season, I think it could have occurred with Hopkins on the roster because this team clearly has issues on both sides of the ball.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

are the ones in this thread that said the texans will still make the playoffs still around?

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Can, not will. I put the caveat with a few moves that need to be made first. And yes, we're still here.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

not happening. better chance at the texans hitting the over on the 7.5 wins set and even that looks slim

11. raining threes

12. Victorious

Victorious Member

Nfl might expand to 16 team playoff because of covid. There's a chance :D

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Players will never agree to that imo

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Players from the 15th and 16th team would. The only teams that would lose out are the two byes.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

yesss more teams from the nfc east plz!

Nook likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

Weird that they can just decide that on the fly. LanceMc said he's one of the MLB's team reps and that the Stros voted a Nay on the the 2 teams per division making the playoffs, prior to the season.

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I don't know about that. Players don't want to play extra games without a substantial financial benefit. Lots of injuries and Covid issues make it even more complicated

clos4life likes this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

With or without the extra 2 teams, the Texans aren't getting in. Have you seen this defense? Offense I'm not worried about.

clos4life, YOLO and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. Nimo

Nimo Member

If it is a playoff game, there is a substantial financial benefit; plus a chance to advance one step closer to the championship.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

WR DEANDRE HOPKINS, ARIZONA CARDINALS
    Second Team: Keenan Allen, Los Angeles Chargers
    New team, new quarterback, new offensive system, same dominant DeAndre Hopkins. Only Stefon Diggs and Keenan Allen have more catches than Hopkins, who has been just as effective in the desert for Kyler Murray as he was for Deshaun Watson in Houston.

Hopkins has caught 96.8% of the catchable passes thrown his way this season, breaking 10 tackles along the way.
    https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-2020-midseason-all-pro-team