1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign QB Tony Banks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old School, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Old School

Old School Member

Texans sign veteran quarterback Banks

Associated Press

Veteran quarterback Tony Banks signed with the Houston Texans today, although coach Dom Capers said it had nothing to do with the progress of No. 1 draft choice David Carr.

"Anytime you feel you can strengthen your team you try to do that," Capers said. "He's had experience in the league as a starter. He's got a strong arm and he's had experience with other organizations."

The Texans (1-2) lost to the Kansas City Chiefs 19-9 on Saturday, drawing 19 penalties. Carr, who was 8-of-15 for 123 yards against the Chiefs, has thrown one interception and one touchdown pass in three exhibition games.

"We don't have a lot of experience at quarterback," Capers said. "I don't want anyone to read into this that we're disappointed with David. He's made excellent progress."

Banks was 198-of-378 with the Washington Redskins in 2001. He signed with the Redskins last season after being cut by the Dallas Cowboys.

"It will be nice to have another guy, it can only help the team," Carr said. "Competition makes the whole team better. While he's learning the system, the other guys will have to work with him."

Banks threw 10 touchdown passes and 10 interceptions and his 53.5 completion percentage was the lowest in the NFL among starters.

"I don't know much about their situation," Banks said. "I know they drafted a young kid with the first pick and the have a lot invested in him. I'm not looking at this as an opportunity to start. I'm looking at it as an opportunity to get better and help the team.

"If I can help David get better, so be it."

Banks was unsigned as a free agent this preseason. He dropped a weight on his right throwing hand while working out in May and the injury resulted in surgery.

"The pain was never much of a factor," Banks said. "Every day it was getting better and it feels great now. It's 100 percent."

Banks' presence could cause more concern for backup quarterbacks Kent Graham and Mike Quinn. Graham was a backup with the Redskins last season with Banks.

"It can be a difficult situation," Graham said. "You don't worry about anything but the play in front of you. That can be easier said that done. Tony is a good quarterback and a good team guy."

Graham was signed with the idea of mentoring Carr until he was ready to start, but Carr had been the Texans' starter from the beginning of training camp.

Carr has received most of the playing time with Graham, Quinn and Ben Sankey sharing the rest.

Capers said Banks would be in camp for Tuesday's afternoon workout.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Saw a little bit of Tony last year, as a Cowboy and Redskin. (yes, he was a Cowboy.) Saw a few preseason games, and he looked ok. As far as I can remember, in Washington, he was pretty bad. But that may have been since he got to a new team right at the season's start.

Then again, he will probably only be a backup, so he should be and ok backup. :)

Stupid hairs. :mad:

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Well duh AP, it obviously has nothing to do with Carr's progression. Anyone could figure that out...# 1 pick etc.
    Quinn isn't a bad 3rd string, but I want someone with experience at the 2, and if Banks puts more into it than Graham then he should get the job.

Sankey should be gone. I'd give him the slip tomorrow.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Not a bad move by the Texans. Looks like Graham is gone, and for good reason. Sankey will probably go to NFL Europe or the Arena league, he's still young and might develop into a decent backup.

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Great move by the Texans. Banks arm still has alot of juice in it and he can scramble when in trouble. Graham and Sankey will be cut very soon.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am not so keen on Banks. He was a major dissapointment with the rams and also with the redskins. Seemed Graham performed adequatly in game 1 and was given minimal opportunity since. Since he seems to already have a decent relationship with Carr and since he seems to at least publicly understand his role here, I hope bringing Banks in doesn't create any confusion over roles...

7. PhiSlammaJamma

The irony, Banks was benched for Graham in Washington. Nice.

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

What about the rookie running back J. Wells? I know yall might disagree but he reminds me of a young Jamal Anderson. Which is a good thing.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Don't be suprised if J. Wells gets the nod over James Allen.
    Got Talent?

10. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Maybe Carr and Banks will share hair gel secrets.

11. Timing

Timing Member

Isn't Tony Banks a notorious fumbler? He's like the black Dave Krieg except Krieg was a good QB once upon a time.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Banks was fumble prone with the Rams. He also has a reputation of being very talented, but not so dedicated.

13. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Hey, we should be glad Banks was fumble prone in St. Louis, he wrested the record for fumbles by a QB away from Warren Moon. :)

I don't expect Banks to suddenly be any good, though I don't know if he's any better or worse than Graham at this point in their respective careers.

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Wells' upright running style reminds me more of Eddie George, a fellow Ohio State alum.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Banks is good at the deep ball. When he winds it up and let's it go he can really strike deep. Especially to tight ends. And he does it with a nice tight spiral. The problem is the short routes. He throws it all over the place- Completing several passed to defenders in the flat. It can get very ugly at times. God help us. Graham was better at the short routes to the sideline. But he needed a good WR like Westbrook to get open for him.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Sankey has moved to 5th on the online depth chart.

If we can afford it and they don't mind being backups, I'd love to have Graham and Banks on the team. It's security when the OL falls apart.