1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Proposal

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If we can manage the #1 Pick

Trading down
    Getting back to say #6~10
    and maybe a 2nd and 3rd rounder
    Spending all of those plus our own on Offensive linemen

Then Trading next years 1st and 2nd rounder for PHILLIP RIVERS
    in San Diego

We can Trade Carr for perhap another 2nd or 3rd rounder
    and look for some Defensive line help

Rocket River

2. gucci888

gucci888 Member

IF we got the #1, I trade down for a Top5 pick plus a 2nd. Pick up D. Ferguson w/ the top5 pick and I wouldn't object to using the 2nd pick on a another OL as you said.

As for Rivers, I don't really see him as a upgrade from Carr, he has zero experience. Plus, I wouldn't want to trade a 1st rounder because chances are we'll have a HIGH pick the following summer. Vince Young or Marcus Vick? That's the real question for summer 07.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

I'm not for trading Carr right now. We won't get enough value. But the player that we could move and get some picks back is Dominnick Davis. Running backs are easier to find and if we could cash him out for a #1, then we may be able to get both bookends out of this draft, or at least a real good starting TE than can block as well as catch.

4. Two Sandwiches

I say that if Vince Young comes out, without a doubt you trade down a few spots and pick up an extra late first-rounder(if possible...maybe early second), and use that higher first-rounder on Young. We would have all the loyalty in the world from that kid.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

RBs being easier to find is exactly why you wouldn't get a 1st round pick for Davis.

6. wakkoman

wakkoman Member

I thought ESPN had something about him returning to Texas next season

7. percicles

percicles Member

Isnt the standard for #1 picks a top 10 pick + a second rounder. Doesnt the value increase when the pick is a QB? If I recall SD got the 5th, + a 2nd, and a number 1 the following year for Eli and Vick. Those guys didnt have the pedigree of Lienart. I can see the Jets, Dolphins, Browns, Titans, Arizona giving us similar deals. Hell the Saints gave up an entire draft if i recall correctly for Smokey Williams. If the Saints move to LA I gaurantee we could plunder them for an ungodly amount of picks and players.

If VY enters the draft Mcnair would be an idot not to pick him. It makes better buisness sense considering how you could market him locally, nationaly, etc... We could go 0-16 next year the fanbase wouldnt be so pained coz your paying to see 1) A local boy, 2)A longhorn, and 3) arguably the 2nd most exciting player in college football (RBush being numero uno).

I wouldnt trade any of our picks next year coz if VY and Bush leave then the 2007 draft will be all about the Adrian Peterson sweepstakes. Jesus can you imagine the Texans with VY and AP, both local state boys, This city would go nuts.

All this is moot if Casserly is still on board. If thats the case then expect a trade for a mid round pick, a 3rd rounder, and an ageing, usless, overpaid OL player.

#7 percicles, Oct 31, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Carr has done nothing that says he deserves to come back for a 8 Mill Bonus
    Save that money and get someone else. Start fresh

Rocket River

9. Xenon

Xenon Member

I propose we change the name of the Texans to like Gunslingers or something. Move them to San Antonio. Get ourselves an expansion franchise for the 2006 season and do this thing again.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, he's already said he's not going pro. Most of the time, I wouldn't believe players when they say that, but considering that since Mack Brown took over after the '97 season, the Horns haven't lost a player to the NFL other than seniors, it's a pretty good bet he'll be back in Austin next season.

11. gbritton

gbritton Member

if we have the number one pick... we really only have 2 options

1) Draft Bush. A good offensive lineman are all the same across the board... they block the line... you can not pass up on talent like bush. he isnt just some avg. athelete. he can play any position on the field. doesnt have to be running back.. he has great hands and can play WR if need be so we can keep davis in the backfield.

2)Like what most people say... trade our first round pick for a top 10 pick and a second round pick. it would be a huge added bonus if we could get another first round pick for the following year. but we should get a OL player then for our 1st rounder...and in the second round hopefully santonio holmes will still be available. that should add some more talent to this crappy core of WRs we have.

12. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Member

I agree carr doesnt deserve 8 mil.. but rivers isnt worth a 1 and a 2 especially since he has got basically no playing time in the league yet.

13. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Member

The Texans should think OL with the first pick that they have, it is our immediate need. OL are not a dime a dozen, if they were, the Texans probably wouldn't have the trouble that they have now. Ferguson looks like the best bet at LT. As great as Reggie Bush is, the Texans already have a RB with a contract extension.

I don't know how many times it has to be said but McNair is going to stick with Carr. Unless Leinart just blows everyone away at his pro-day, I just don't see the Texans giving up on Carr. I do agree that if you can move down one or two spots and still get the best OL, then fleece whatever team wants Leinart. If not, then make the safe pick and take an OL (my choice would be Fersguson).

FWIW, I am a big fan of the Longhorns and think that VY should win the Heisman. With that said, I still think that he needs to hone his passing skills because you can't loft a ball in the pros. He has gotten so much better than last year and I think that one more season will make him undoubtedly the #1 or #2 pick in the 2007 NFL Draft.

14. swilkins

swilkins Member

Carr isn't going anywhere. Just accept it.

Capers will get the axe and we'll trade our #1 for a few picks to build our line.

You'll see

15. Rockets34Legend

1) Keep Carr.
    2) Fire Capers, Casserly, Pendry, and Fangio.
    3) Wipe out OL, draft some quality OL in the 1st and 2nd round, get some quality OL in FA.
    4) Something needs to be done about our DTs and DEs. Bench Greenwood and Babin and put in Polk and Peek.

Then you're set.

#15 Rockets34Legend, Oct 31, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  16. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Agreed. It would prove too costly to use 2 #1 Overall picks on the same position. Leinart or Bush wouldn't do anything better than Carr or Davis w/ our OL. Trading down for a top5 pick, picking up D. Ferguson w/ it, and gaining a 2nd rounder and maybe a future 1st rounder would be very ideal.

As Percicles posted, teams like Arizona, Saints, Titans, Jets, Browns, Dolphins, would be drooling over the chance of getting Leinart. Also, Arizona, Saints, Jets, and the 49ers would also be desperate for the Reggie Bush sweepstakes as well.

17. T_Man

T_Man Member

RR,

I like your plan about trading down and trading Carr, not too excited about the trade for Rivers. I would prefer to get a vet in and draft a QB for the future. (ALA.. Steve McNair.)

But I do agree Carr is not worth the money....

The guy SUCKS... Please don't give me this OL crap. I have seen the guy drop back with no pressure and miss receivers badly. Houston is going no where with Carr. The guy has no respect from other defensive players in the league.

Basically he has no value as it is and too think his value is going to go up is just plain idiotic.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Trade the pick to Baltimore for Adam Terry, their #1 pick, and a future 3rd rounder. Draft highest rated OT, hopefully Ferguson, or that huge kid from Texas, then trade a 2nd rounder and a future 3rd rounder for a lower first round pick, and pick a third offensive lineman or a good blocking/pass catching tight end. Move Chester to guard, keep McKinney and one other guard, and there you have your offensive line with Terry and Ferguson anchoring the corners.