1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Telfair wants Celtics to Un-retire #31

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by candlegreen, Jul 19, 2006.

1. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but I just read this from the BostonHerald.com. If this is true, it has to be one of those "out there" moments where you just have to wonder what these young players are thinking....

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=147642&format=&page=2

"...Sebastian Telfair is planning to negotiate with Cedric Maxwell regarding the No. 31. Telfair has always worn it because he’s from 31st Street in Brooklyn, but the number now hangs in the Garden rafters because of Max.
    'I just got his phone number,' Telfair said. 'I’m going to call him.'"

2. Ryan Bowen MVP

What an idiot! The kid is brought in, has yet to live up to his hype, and is already disrespecting a team with as much history and heritage as the Celtics have. I'd say hand this kid some books to read, but I'm not so sure he would know how to read him. Ryan Bowen might as well lobby to change his number to #34 next season.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

jeeess
    His name maybe Telfair .. but he still a Starbury

THAT'S CORNBREAD MAXWELL, SON!!!

Rocket River
    I hated the Celtics. . but you had to respect them

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Wow... I would be insulted if i was Maxwell

5. shawn786

shawn786 Member

What the hell has he proved in his carrier? Jack ****!

He has no right to even think let alone ask for som1 to un-retire their jersy!

6. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I am surprised the kid doesn't want #33.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this is the type of story that only is there for fans to b****. who cares. cedrick maxwell? If i were his age I probably wouldn't even know who that was.

he's one of those players who wouldn't be thought twice about if he weren't a celtic. seriously, go look at the guy's career stats.

8. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

i hope maxwell hangs up on him.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

remember when francis asked calvin for #23? kids...

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

not knowing who the player is shouldnt matter. especially when he's still alive and well.

"Number 33 who's that, oh Larry Bird? Oooh okay, um then..Dave Cowens, naah aint heard of that guy. Let's try his"

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

if you were his age and in the nba... i'd hope you'd have more of an idea about the history of the game and everything. I mean, people don't have to be experts at all.. but if they know a little bit at all, they'd understand.

I mean, say I don't know a bunch about Cedric Maxwell. But I know a lot about a lot of players whose jerseys are retired. And the ones I DO know about and respect...I understand what it means, and how ridiculous it would be to ask to un-retire any of those jerseys.. I'd hope he's smart enough to think like that and logically apply the same principle to other retired jerseys--esp. in a place as historical (basketball-wise) as Boston

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

see that's the point you're making for me. cornbread is not larry legend. if it were larry legend, or bill russell, or mchale, or cousy, or any legitimate celtic legend, I probably would agree. but not maxwell. I really don't blame the kid.

13. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Who does he think he is? :mad:

14. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

How much did Cedric Maxwell make back in the day? For the right price he might consider 'renting' him out the number.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

lastly, the kid has a right to ask, if maxwell says no, so be it.

16. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Maxwell is like the Robert Horry version for the Celtics for the championships. He's Finals MVP in 81, won the championship in game 7 for the Celtics in 84, and averaged 11-14 pts and 7-9 rebounds a game playing behind Bird/McHale. He scored 19 a game until Bird came in and started immediately. Maxwell was one of the main reasons why the Celtics are who they are. His name was merely overshadowed by Bird/ McHale/ Parish. This guy is a legend in Boston and is the voice of the Celtics on the radio.... He averaged over 32 minutes a game as a reserve and nailed big shot after big shot for the Celtics in his career before being traded for Bill Walton.

This guy is not a nobody, and regardless, you don't go and ask someone who meant so much to a franchise that they retired his number to unretire that same number. Having his jersey retired was meant to be a lasting memory on the rafters of Boston Garden, and now have some new kid that has not proven himself to try and take that away because he's from 31st street? That's beyond disrespectful and is one of the dumbest moves by a starbury wannabe.... ever!

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I was gonna say robert horry, but I actually don't consider the guy a "nobody" and didn't want to be disrespectful. He is known for his clutch playoff play rather than his entire career, and he is well respected by boston fans no doubt.

that being said, he isn't on the level of guys who truly deserve retired jerseys imo.

it would actually be like retiring otis thorpe's jersey.

18. RodrickRhodes

RodrickRhodes Member

what has telfair done other than get caught with a gun in his luggage since he entered the nba? he's in no position to be making demands like this. i wonder if he's gonna ask for a trade if he doesn't get maxwell's retired jersey #

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If I were Maxwell, I'd laugh and then hang up the phone.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he's only been in the league two years out of h.s. and was on arguably the worst franchise in that time. but that is a good point, he definitely hasn't done anything to earn the benifit of the doubt.