1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teenage lottery winner Callie Rogers broke at 22

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Sep 2, 2009.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

Didn't see it posted but if it is, locker her up.

Broke lottery winner Callie Rogers blew huge sums on cocaine

[​IMG]

BY Alexandra Hazlett
    DAILY NEWS WRITER

Updated Monday, August 31st 2009, 10:01 AM

From the sublime to the ridiculous. . .
    Not only did British teen lottery winner Callie Rogers, 22, blow through nearly all of a jackpot of over $3 million, she spent a substantial amount of it on cocaine, the Daily Mail reports.

Rogers told the Daily Mail that her ex-boyfriend Nicky Lawson got her hooked on cocaine and that she spent 250,000 pounds (about $406,000) on the habit.

"I was spending a fortune on cocaine, a nasty evil drug that tears your life apart," Rogers was quoted as saying. "I'll be honest. about a quarter of a million pounds of my win has been wasted on it."

The News reported earlier in August that the young woman who won millions from the lottery as a teenager was broke, but much happier that way.

At the tender age of 16, Rogers won a jackpot of 1.9 million pounds, or about $3.1 million. But the stress of overnight riches caused lots of problems for the teen at a time in life when a minimum-wage job is more than many kids can manage.

"My life is a shambles and hopefully now it [the lottery jackpot] has all gone I can find some happiness. It's brought me nothing but unhappiness. It's ruined my life," another article in the Daily Mail quoted a friend of Rogers as saying.

Rogers has moved back into her mother's house and is working three cleaning jobs to make ends meet, according to the Mail. She has two children, ages one and four, with Lawson.

Allegations that Lawson tried to steal her money and the heartbreaking worries that resulted led Rogers to attempt suicide - the first of two tries at ending her life, according to the paper.

And how did she burn through the rest of the money so quickly?

It was spent on expensive cars, gifts, loans to family members, four houses she bought and furnished for herself and family members, luxury vacations, plastic surgery, clothing and partying, and a trust fund for her children.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/200...lottery_winner_callie_rogers_broke_at_22.html

#1 GRENDEL, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

The ole lottery curse. Money truly cannot buy you happiness.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Money can't buy suckers happiness.

4. LFE171

LFE171 Member

At least she's not entirely stupid.The taxes on those houses must be killing her right now.

5. across110thstreet

i'll go with "cocaine's a hell of a drug" for $500 please.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I don't think it's a "curse" at all. I think it's more a case of money not being able to cure STUPID.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

4 houses? why i assume she paid for them in full why not sell them and just keep one? or did she already sell them?

i thought you have to be at least 18 to play i guess not in the UK

8. BigSherv

BigSherv Member

at least she did a trust fund for her kids

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

A fool and their money are soon parted.

10. juicystream

juicystream Member

I would certainly of hit it 6 years ago. :D

I'm only a year older than her, so it would have been perfectly legal.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Lottery winnings are wasted on morons. I have heard that most winners later regret winning (aprocryphal). I would be a good steward of that money and yet no one will give it to me.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

What is it with people when they come into a lot of money? They just seem to treat it like a never-ending pit of money. It is a finite amount of money. There is an endpoint where you run out. She had financial security for the rest of her life if she was smart about it. Some people just cannot handle having money...moreso if they did not earn it. If you didn't earn it, then maybe you don't really feel like it is your money versus some big fantasy where you can just spend it all and buy happiness. I'll be honest...I frackin hate people like this.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I read that story the other day and had to laugh. That's just pathetic. Still not as pathetic as the sex offender or the convicted felon who won the lottery.

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Man, I didn't realize she was British at first, saw this, and went :eek:

15. MadMax

MadMax Member

drug addiction sucks.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

So she's broke at 22. Who isn't?

Sad cautionary tale, I suppose, but nothing shocking.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That apparently explains $400,000 of it. It seems like she was trying to do good with the rest of it (if you believe her). Well ok, with the exception of her boob job.

18. bladeage

bladeage Member

She gets the award for "Person who I would like to punch in the face today".

19. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Member

Thank you. I always used to say, "If you think money can't buy happiness, you don't know where to shop".

Daniel Tosh sums it up for me: "Money can't buy happiness? Yeah, but it can buy a waverunner. You ever try to frown on one of those?"

Stupid people will be stupid, with or without money. Smart people will take money and make it into more money, even if only a bit at a time. "Money can't buy happiness" is a lie spread by the poor. Have you ever heard a lottery winner who DIDN'T blow their earnings say that? No. Why? Because they're too busy riding their waverunners.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Have you seen her boob job?

I'd wager it's done some good.