1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Talk about Non-News... (Jenna Bush)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Major, May 18, 2001.

1. Major

Major Member

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/politics/DailyNews/jenna010516.html

Bush Daughter Pleads No Contest

Jenna Bush was ordered by Austin Community Court Judge Elisabeth Earle to pay $51.25 in court costs, serve eight hours of community service and attend six hours of classes.

The maximum penalty was a $500 fine and community service.

She has until July 18 to comply with the court order. If she fails to comply with the order, a warrant could be issued for her arrest and driver's license could be suspended.

The University of Texas freshman appeared in court with her attorney, William P. Allison. Bush wore a sleeveless black blouse and pink Capri slacks.

Her discussion at the bench with Earle was difficult to hear, but she did nod her head several times, and the judge told her, "Good luck to you, Miss Bush."

Undercover Austin police cited Bush last month, charging her with a Class C misdemeanor, the lowest level of misdemeanors. The officers issued the ticket while checking for minors in possession of alcohol at nightclubs along the popular East Sixth Street entertainment area in downtown Austin.

------------------
    http://www.swirve.com ... more fun than a barrel full of monkeys and midgets.

2. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Slightly off topic.

Is the judge related to Ronnie Earle?

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Webber threads!

3. haven

haven Member

She should be left alone.

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I wonder which shoes she wore...

5. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Why should she be left alone? Should she have been left alone while other teenagers were being charged? Hats off to the Austin police for treating her just like any other drinking teen.

Maybe she should consider following the law seeing how her daddy is president and all.

------------------

6. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Why should she be left alone?

I think haven meant in terms of publicity.

7. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Secret Service agents are not cops. Their job is not to enforce the law, but to protect whoever it is they are assigned to.

Jenna needs to realize that she can no longer live a normal life. She can't just blend in anymore. She's the daughter of the most powerful man in the world. She will be watched and scrutinized.

The Clintons knew this. They did an exceptinal job of keeping Chelsea out of the limelight. The Bushs should consider doing the same.

------------------

8. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Exactly, and this is why they look the other way when it comes to nderage drinking, etc. If the person being protected has to hide activity like this from the secret service then the service can no longer effectively protect their charge. Like Jeff, I wonder how much leeway there is. If Jenna was driving under the influence would they say? What about stealing a car? Kind of an interesting idea...

------------------

9. haven

haven Member

Dylan:

What about conspiring to shoot the president?

Think about that next time you're stoned [​IMG]!

(old snl reference)

------------------
    A few years back on the Senate floor...
    Phil Gramm: "If Democrats could, they'd tax the air we breathe."
    Ted Kennedy (jumping up): "By God, why didn't I think of that sooner!"

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

It also helps that your grand dad used to run the CIA.

[​IMG]

Wonder how many little "run ins" with the law Dubya got away with?

------------------
    Everything you do, effects everything that is.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm sure the fact that Chelsea was ugly as hell and a nerd had nothing to do with it. Plus she was like 12 when Clinton got elected, what trouble could she get into?

Wow, that amazing Clinton, keeping his ugly, nerdy daughter out of trouble. We are definitely worse off now that he's not around.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's real classy TheFreak, I'm sure you'd love it if your kid was ugly and the entire nation made fun of her. And from the looks of you, I'd say he or she has a pretty good chance of that. [​IMG]

Say what you want about the Clinton's, but one of the best things they did was tell the press to lay off Chelsea if they wanted any kind of access to them. Hillary laid down the law and Chelsea probably had as normal a childhood as possible in her situation.

First Kid's will be news whether we like it or not, it's up to them to know that.

------------------
    www.swirve.com
    "Pre-born, you're fine, pre-school, you're f*****."-George Carlin

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I was thinking underwear

[​IMG]

------------------
    burp

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This topic brings up a question that I have. Are secret service agents assigned to protect elected officials and their families obligated to prevent crimes?

For example, if Miss Bush's assigned agent spots her shoplifting, is the agent obligated by law to step in? If so, why wasn't her drinking stopped (along with the other youths). If not, where is the line drawn?

------------------

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I wondered that myself. I wonder what the extent of their law enforcement capabilities are. Interesting.

------------------
    The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people's ideas. - Futurama

16. mc mark

When I was in school I was an acquaintance of the son of a Texas Senator. He did have two agents assigned to him. Now I don't know the extent of their assignment, but I can tell you this guy was one of the biggest druggies I have ever met. These agents knew of his drug use and from all indications, it was not their job to "tell mommy and daddy senator".

So I would say no.

------------------
    Everything you do, effects everything that is.

17. mc mark

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Like I said, she's a nerd.

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Says the guy with 3000 posts on an internet bulliten board. [​IMG]

------------------
    We used to laugh at Grandpa when he'd head off and go fishing. But we wouldn't be laughing that evening when he'd come back with some w**** he picked up in town.

20. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Agree, but it sure helps when you have a sympathetic press. I don't think the Bushes can count on slavering, sycophantic coverage for the remainder of GWB's eight years. [​IMG]

------------------
    It's a funny word, 'friends'

You got beginnings and you got ends

I guess I'll see you when we're ashes again

--Chris Robinson