1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Taliban publicly execute woman for alleged "adultery", hundreds cheer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 8, 2012.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Somewhat graphic video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tgAoBaFT7EU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Taliban shoot woman 9 times in public execution as men cheer

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- A shot rings out, but the burqa-clad woman sitting on the rocky ground does not respond.
    The man pointing a rifle at her from a few feet away lets loose another round, but still there is no reaction.
    He fires a third shot, and finally the woman slumps backwards.
    But the man fires another shot.
    And another. And another.
    Nine shots in all.
    Around him, dozens of men on a hillside cheer: "God is great!"
    Officials in Afghanistan, where the amateur video was filmed, believe the woman was executed because two Taliban commanders had a dispute over her, according to the governor of the province where the killing took place.
    Both apparently had some kind of relationship with the woman, said Parwan province governor Abdul Basir Salangi.
    "In order to save face," they accused her of adultery, Salangi said.
    Then they "faked a court to decide about the fate of this woman and in one hour, they executed the woman," he added.
    Both Taliban commanders were subsequently killed by a third Taliban commander, Salangi said.
    "We went there to investigate and we are still looking for people who were involved in this brutal act," he said.
    It is not clear from the video when it was filmed.
    The killing took place in the village of Qimchok, not far north of the capital Kabul.
    Lawmaker Fawzia Koofi called it a huge backward step for women's issues in Afghanistan.
    "I think we will have to do something serious about this, we will have to do something as women, but also as human beings," she said. "She didn't even say one word to defend herself."
    Koofi wept on Saturday as she watched the video of the execution.
    The United States condemned the killing "in the strongest possible terms," calling it a "cold-blooded murder."
    "The protection of women's rights is critical around the world, but especially in Afghanistan, where such rights were ignored, attacked and eroded under Taliban rule," the American embassy said in a statement on Sunday.
    The public execution is the latest and among the most shocking examples of violence against women in Afghanistan, but it is far from an isolated case.
    Nearly nine out of 10 women suffer physical, sexual, or psychological violence or forced marriage at least once in their lifetimes, Human Rights Watch said in its 2012 annual report.
    The country has 14 shelters for abused women, a number which the campaign group says "does not meet even a small fraction of the need."
    Hundreds of students and teachers at girls' schools in the country have been hospitalized with suspected poisoning this year alone. Girls were forbidden to go to school when the Taliban ruled the country from 1996 to 2001.
    Salangi, the provincial governor, spoke to CNN about the killing on Sunday, the same day that representatives of more than 80 nations and organizations met to consider pouring billions more aid dollars into the country.
    U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged delegates including U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton not to demand complex reforms in exchange for the money.
    "Afghan institutions are still in their nascent stages," he said. "The very programs which offer the best hope of sustainability of Afghan institutions should not be held hostage to complex preconditions."
    Clinton said donors at the conference pledged about $16 billion for Afghanistan over four years. That amount did not include money from the United States because any foreign aid must be approved by Congress.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/08/world/asia/afghanistan-public-execution/index.html

I wonder if these $ 16 billion are really going to make any difference for the better there, or if the Taliban will just end up getting more weapons from it.

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I wonder at what point these foreign countries are going to take responsibility for their own internal security problems like the Taliban.

Here if some extremist groups goes nuts on America soil the FBI is on their ass like white on rice.

3. Major

Major Member

The US has been built over 200+ years. The current Afghan government is less than 10 years old and was installed by outsiders, thus not even having the universal support of the population - the reality is that while we want everything fixed immediately, these things take time. Our history included all sorts of corruption, vigilante justice and extremists - from the mob to the wild west to the KKK - before the FBI & society as a whole got to where it is today.

Hopefully, thanks to technology and modern communications, the transition is simpler compared to what the US went through. But our role in all this is simply to figure out how to best accelerate the process - whether that means taking an active role, a passive role, staying out of it entirely, etc. Figuring out what's the right course, however, is an exercise in guesswork to some extent.

1 person likes this.
  4. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Is there really anything to discuss here? We all know Afghanistan is 200 years behind the rest of the world. You've got a puppet leader whose brother was the biggest drug dealer in the country. Then you've got crazy uneducated Taliban members who go around terrorizing different towns. These people go rape women of different towns, these are not human beings, they are savages. That's what happens when you have war for so long. War brings out the worst in everyone, peace should always be restored as quick as possible, prolonged war is inhumane.

5. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

disgusting.

muslims all around the world need to wake up and eliminate this kind of behavior.

if they don't, eventually someone else will.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

lol...what would you have me do? i don't personally condone this behavior and if i could i would shoot everyone of those mother ****ers cheering this on.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

According to this one guy you are not a Muslim anyway, remember...you've had a Bud light and a Pepperoni Pizza ;).

Death penalty in Iran! :eek:

8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

LOL that's ironic, you are trying to show you are better than them by doing the same thing they are cheering? There are better ways of accomplishing things than causing harm to people.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Not really. These scums pollute the human race and needs to be eliminated

10. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Nahh. I agree with him. Addition by subtraction. It is clear these people are absolute savages and will never change their beliefs. Those kind of people need rid from the world.

11. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Never change their beliefs? Read some history.

You guys are hilarious. IF an advanced species from out of space every came to our planet and thought the way you guys did, they would wipe us all out. We are ALL the same, if any country went through 40+ years of war, they'd have major issues. Wiping them out because of it would be more telling about you (supposedly more civilized) than them.

Thing is y'all are disconnected to the people from there so it's easy to sit from behind a computer and say "kill em all". If it was an uncle/aunt who happened to live in that environment he'd be the same. Would you want to have him/her killed?

It's sad how some of y'all think...human nature can be ugly.

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I'm not trying to show I'm better then anybody. I also don't think there is any hope of turning these kind of ****ers around. So yeah...the less of them the better. Kill em all (taliban...not muslims).

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's what they say about us.

14. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

Haha! I think you're referring to me. To clarify, I'm not judging R0ckets03 and yeah it's no secret, there are Muslims who drink and smoke and have other vices cause they are human as well and prone to make mistakes. Whether openly or secretly away from the public eye, there's no denying that some do it. When I said that a Muslim who drinks isn't a Muslim when they drink, I meant to say that he isn't at the time of doing it. This is in reference to a hadith (saying/tradition) relayed by Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) where he was narrated as saying:

"When an adulterer commits illegal sexual intercourse, then he is not a believer at the time he is doing it; and when somebody drinks an alcoholic drink, then he is not believer at the time of drinking, and when a thief steals, he is not a believer at the time when he is stealing; and when a robber robs and the people look at him, then he is not a believer at the time of doing it."

Simply put this just means that one who proclaims themselves as Muslim, when he commits a wrongful act such as drinking/adultery etc. they are not a true follower of Islam when they are committing that act since it is in direct contradiction to Muslim conduct. Of course Muslims, like all humans, make mistakes, sin, transgress and what have you but the best among those that screw up are those that turn back, repent, seek forgiveness and reform themselves. As long as one is breathing, one has time to straighten things out.

So I'm not saying that R0ckets03 is not a Muslim since I do not know his theological beliefs in detail. I have seen that he's openly criticized Islamic scriptures for being backward and such so there is some haziness on his stance.

I just know that if he has the central monotheistic belief that there's one God and believes that the Prophet Muhammad(p) was the last and final messenger amongst a line of Prophets ranging from Adam, Moses, Abraham, all the way to Jesus, then he's Muslim at least by belief only. Not because his mommy and daddy were so he was, not because he's a certain ethnic background or any other external factor. If he adheres to this belief, he's Muslim plain and simply. Not perfect, not invincible, not holy, not flawless... just Muslim. If he doesn't believe that and thinks it's BS, not Muslim. Pretty simple really.

Back on topic. There goes that Loony Taliban again, scum of the earth. There as big an enemy to mainstream Muslims than to the rest of the world. ChrisBosh said it best, Afghanistan is an underdeveloped, war-torn impoverished land and unfortunately these uneducated fools are running things and stirring trash up without any proper grasp of the religion they so tout as their reason for becoming militant and extreme.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Absolutely disgusting.

The scum of the earth....

16. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

I'm on it. :rolleyes:

17. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Wasn't that what the whole war was supposed to be about?

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

You'd think they'd a better job at keeping it in their pants in that country. Seems all too often they're getting killed or beaten or whatever for adultery.

1 person likes this.
  19. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

You're acting like they said they want them wiped out because they are different. People who are a danger and detriment to peaceful society deserve to be kicked out of that society. These guys aren't just "alien" to our culture. They murdered a woman in cold blood, in broad daylight, just cause. If this was someones aunt or uncle here who did they same thing, you're damn right they deserve to be kicked out of society.

20. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

What are the moderate Muslims around the world going to do, post on the Taliban's Facebook page? Dissenting opinions in regions like this are simply snuffed out by the overwhelming zealotry of the ruling group. It's dangerous to "wake up" publicly.