1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tagging and the modern NBA defense.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Mar 17, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

NBA coaches, in practice and film sessions, often use the word tag in referring to how to play defense. What does "to tag" mean"?

The modern NBA defense is as far away from man to man as it can be. No team plays man to man defense anymore. Couch Thib and others changed the way defenses play forever.

Tag is a short way of saying the distance the nearest player positions himself from an offensive player. In NBA defenses every opposition player MUST be accounted for. Tagged.

What is the correct tag distance? This depends on a number of factors. Most important among those is how close a defender has to be to contest a shot. Close to the basket it may be a matter of inches. At the three point line it could be 6 feet or more.

How close is Howard tagged near the basket? Chest to chest most of the time. If Howard has any room near the basket and receives the ball if a defender is not right there it is a sure 2 points. The most efficient shot in basketball.

At the 3 point arc things are murkier. What is the correct tag distance out there? It changes from player to player. I will let you into a secret. According to NBA coaches, if the offensive player shoots 32% from beyond the arc the tag distance must be close enough that the defender has to get a hand in the face of the offensive player. Korver definitely. Jones not so much. That is the reason that it is so important for D-Mo to get to 35%+ on three point shooting. To decrease the tag distance. To free up the paint.

This example has of course huge ramifications on the Rockets offense. The Rockets penetrate the paint easily. The defense floods the paint. 2.9. Tag distance. As tag distance increases the paint gets more flooded with defenders. If the Rockets can force a closer tag distance at the three point line, the paint becomes less clogged with defenders. More and easier points.

I would like to illustrate this point with a recent real wold example. In the Heat game as Allen moves through screens the Rockets have to keep him tagged. If Allen's defender becomes "hooked up" in a screen the defense must switch and cover (tag) Allen. Failure to do so will lead to many points for Allen. Tag-tag-tag.

#1 jtr, Mar 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  2. joesr

joesr Member

NBA players like to play tag, youre it just like when they were kids. brings back memories

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

LOL. I guess coaching staffs use terms familiar to the players.

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

We usually just say weakside/helpside. Give ground. "Let him shoot". 1 pass away, 2 passes away, 3 passes away, etc. Same difference.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You are one level up from where I was attempting to direct focus. Tagging is the base of defensive schemes.

6. bmd

bmd Member

Let me ask you something... where did you learn this?

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

youtube. where else?

8. bmd

bmd Member

Because this is nothing new. This is how man defense is always played. You don't stick on your man 100% of the time. You only get in the passing lane when your man is 1 pass away.

2 passes away you are sagging middle.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

There is no man defense (in the historical context) played in the NBA these days. One on one match ups do occur, but if needed the best NBA defenses are right there with the double.

This was intended to be a totally non-confrontational post. Informational only. The basis of of modern NBA defense. Nothing more.

And no (not you bmd) it did not come from youtube.

I may follow this up with analysis of how NBA defenses handle screens. To shoot or not? When to go over/under.

10. bmd

bmd Member

Well then where did you learn it from? Because it's nothing new.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Really. Well, would you explain the how and why teams decide to shoot the screen or decide to switch? Would you care to pontificate on when to go over or under a screen? If you do this you would save me the effort of writing a post. Help me out here guy!

12. bmd

bmd Member

Okay, so you are not going to answer the question I asked? I just want to know where you learned from.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

WTF does that matter? That is a nit. Just accept that I have attended a few NBA practices. Does my post hold water? Sure. It is gleaned out of listening to real NBA coaches in practice. Coaching defense. It is not my opinion, it cites the word of NBA coaches. Unless you ... Christ I personally do not care. Take your biased baseless pot shots.

14. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

It's true though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yXGRCKGxXbE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

OP is a smart poster, but I'm leaning toward bmd.
    Did these coaches specifically say defenses are different nowadays?
    If so, specifically how?

Hakeem was doubled and tripled.
    Teams used "help" in attempt to get keep MJ out of the lane.

Don't mind learning and promise not to drag out a long argument.

16. bmd

bmd Member

Even Jordan in this old fundamental basketball video talks about seeing your man and the basketball:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tlr5scJzo-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. yummyhawtsauce

I think what BMD is trying to say is, the OP's post, everything that was said, is pretty fundamental in basketball, and basic. Which I can agree, as someone who plays basketball. However, it's nice that the OP explained it.

If I am wrong - you can ignore this post.

18. gene18

gene18 Rookie

JTR is posting very informative stuff. A real break from the anger on this board. Keep it up JTR.

19. bmd

bmd Member

Exactly.

And I have a history with jtr on here, which is why I may have been short with him..

20. conquistador#11

tag? all our guards are playing hide and seek.