1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Syd Barrett, Founder of Pink Floyd, dies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mulder, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Syd Barrett, Founder of Pink Floyd, dies

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060711/ap_on_en_mu/obit_barrett

By JILL LAWLESS, Associated Press Writer 3 minutes ago

Syd Barrett, the troubled genius who co-founded Pink Floyd but spent his last years in reclusive anonymity, has died, a spokeswoman for the band said Tuesday. He was 60.

The spokeswoman — who declined to give her name until the band made an official announcement — confirmed media reports that he had died. She said Barrett died several days ago, but she did not disclose the cause of death.

Barrett co-founded Pink Floyd with fellow Cambridge student Roger Waters in 1965 and wrote many of the band's early songs.

He got the name of the band from two old blues musicians, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council. Pink Floyd's jazz-infused rock made them darlings of the London psychedelic scene. It was the first British group to do light shows in concert and its music and style was weird even for that era.

The 1967 album "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" — largely written by Barrett — was a commercial and critical hit. The group, with additional band members Nick Mason and Richard Wright, came to be known as England's premier acid rockers.

But the band did a turn for the worse when Barrett became mentally unstable from the pressures of drugs and fame and had to leave the band in 1968 — five years before Pink Floyd's most popular album, "Dark Side of the Moon."

Barrett spent much of the rest of his life living quietly in his hometown of Cambridge.

Guitarist David Gilmour, another Cambridge student, took Barrett's place.

A small, private funeral would be held, the spokeswoman said.

:(

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

so much for any hope of a REAL pink floyd reunion :(

david gilmore better send a nice, big wreath.

piper at the gates of dawn 4EVER!

3. italian rocket

Really bad news, a great genius has passed away. RIP Crazy Diamond.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

5. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

6. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

RIP Syd, and I have to say I am surprised he lived as long as he did.

8. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

In all fairness, the band didn't reach it's full popularity in the US until David Gilmore stepped in. I have been a huge fan since childhood and never for once thought that Syd would ever re-join.

I read a book called 'Saucerful of Secrets' years ago that spoke of the wild things Syd would do prior to the concerts. I might read it again.

RIP Syd. There wouldn't have been a Pink Floyd without you.

9. Summer Song Giver

Please tell us some things about Syd, I have been interested in his story for a long time but never really searched out anything on the subject.

RIP Syd :(

10. swilkins

One that comes to mind was when he mixed quaaludes with some hair cream. He was clearly affected by it. The combination of the concoction along with the heat of the stage lights made it look like his head was melting. Or something like that. It was many years ago, when I read it.

Here's the book.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

well for one thing the character in "The Wall" was based on Syd's life..

another legend is that Roger Waters would visit Syd at his home to pay him royalties...

12. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Let's just say Syd's weird behavior was the inspiration to Roger Waters which lead to Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall.

In the movie version of The Wall, Geldof shaves off all his body hair. Syd really did do that.

Gilmour always was around and was a friend of the band from the beginning. He was the emergency stand in for Syd for quite a while as Syd slipped into the twilight zone.

So long Syd, the catalyst of Pink Floyd.

13. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

RIP :( Shine on...........

14. FrontRowJoe

FrontRowJoe Member

The Madcaps laughs no more. :( Hope the Floyd does something nice as a tribute. Maybe Roger and Dave can put aside their differences to do a concert for Syd.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Very sad news!!! :(

I'm about to head up to Circuit City and purchase the Pulse DVD and CD, and I get the Wall DVD for free. Maybe it'll help ease the pain.

What sucky news.

16. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Hell froze over and the Eagles got back together, anything can happen; but they aren't getting any younger.

17. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

R.I.P.

I think the best song he was a part of with them was "Bike." That song is so awesome.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i read the book that was linked earlier in the thread. its a very sad story people were always putting drugs into his drinks and thats on top of the drugs he took himself. the guy went crazy and they said the band would fall apart.

take care Syd

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

#19 Ottomaton, Jul 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  20. swilkins

Waters performed with Pink Floyd at Live8, recently.

Waters sounded pretty bad. It's too bad, because I was hoping they would tour one more time. After hearing Waters, I'd be happy if it was just Gilmore, Mason, and Wright.