1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Swedish cartoon artist attacked during free speech lecture

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 11, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4oLvwMxwHFs&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4oLvwMxwHFs&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Swedish artist attacked during free-speech lecture

STOCKHOLM — A Swedish artist who angered Muslims by depicting the Prophet Muhammad as a dog was assaulted Tuesday while giving a university lecture about the limits of artistic freedom.
    Lars Vilks told The Associated Press a man in the front row ran up to him and head-butted him during a lecture, breaking his glasses but leaving him uninjured. It wasn't immediately clear what happened to the attacker.
    Vilks has faced numerous threats over his controversial drawing of Muhammad with a dog's body, but Tuesday's incident was the first time he has been physically assaulted.
    Earlier this year U.S. investigators said Vilks was the target of an alleged murder plot involving Colleen LaRose, an American woman who dubbed herself "Jihad Jane," and who now faces life in prison. She had pleaded not guilty.
    Vilks said a group of about 15 people had been shouting and trying to interrupt the lecture before the incident at Uppsala University.
    Many of them stormed the front of the room after the attack and clashed with security guards as Vilks was pulled away into a separate room, he said, describing the scene as "complete chaos."
    "A man ran up and threw himself over me. I was head-butted and my glasses were broken," Vilks said before hanging up for questioning by police.
    Uppsala University spokeswoman Pernilla Bjork said Vilks was showing a provocative film with sexual content to the crowd when the attacker ran up and hit him in the face with his fists.
    Swedish news agency TT said police detained two people during the commotion. Uppsala police spokesman Jonas Eronen said he couldn't comment because he didn't have enough information about the incident.
    University officials said there had been a peaceful demonstration by Muslims outside the university before Vilks started to speak, and that about 250 people attended his lecture. Bjork said the university had been in contact with police and security guards before Vilks' lecture to ensure his safety.
    "We think it is our task as a university to be able discuss difficult issues," she said. "We think it is very unfortunate that this has resulted in violence."
    Vilks made his rough sketch more than a year after 12 Danish newspaper cartoons of the prophet sparked furious protests in Muslim countries in 2006.
    A Swedish newspaper printed the drawing, leading to further protests, and revived a heated debate in the West and the Muslim world about religious sensitivities and the limits of free speech.
    It also led to numerous death threats against Vilks, who was temporarily moved to a secret location after al-Qaida in Iraq put a $100,000 bounty on his head in September 2007.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gfyTngzJoXI5VLnRYFKryLwRumugD9FKPBO00

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't agree with a lot of what he says, but thundef00t makes dramatic videos:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z7ok4njJXI8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z7ok4njJXI8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

3. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

If I hadn't known about this, based on the video I would have never guessed it was in Sweden.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Never heard of the guy, never watched any of his other videos...but is there anything not to agree with in his video you posted?

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Those pesky Christians....the attacker, he was Christian, right?

;)

DD

6. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

A couple come to mind. First, that Islam will cease to exist if they allow free speech. Also is assertion that 90% of the people who are willing to murder for religion are Islamic. Given the reaction about the George Tiller murderer in the USA, it seems to me there are lots of Americans who approve. Also the idea that all the "moderate, weekend Muslims" support and are allied with the crazies.

There are lots of little things like that sprinkled throughout his videos.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Ottomaton, you are right.

Still, the first video in this thread (about the incident) is chilling.

8. hjg877

hjg877 Member

[​IMG]
    "Visit Sweden"

9. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

About the only thing that ticks me off about Sweden is the fact that its women are not nearly as hot as you would expect. I was highly disappointed when I visited Stockholm :(

Prague, on the other hand :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh man do I disagree with you there, the women are gorgeous there.......but agreed on Prague too...WOWZA !!!

DD

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I agree. What a horrible reaction, to attack someone like that.

Despite the overreaction from the attackers, I think the video was at least a bit tasteless, don't you?

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I have this impression from a movie, I can't remember which one though. In prague... Very morbid movie, I think it was a Tarantino flick..

Everyone raves about Prague. I must go there.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

If the MSA wasn't comprised primarily of Arabs, it would not be permitted on campuses, their views are no different than the Nazi's.

Here's an MSA member openly supporting genocide against the Jews:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8fSvyv0urTE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8fSvyv0urTE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i raise you

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nice one! Now imagine them being forced to wear a Burkha all the time by those who want to take away our freedom - what a waste that would be!

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Won't be long before a majority of Swedes feel that way, it's simple demographics.

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

All one can say it DAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :grin:

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

ATW,

I was really interested in knowing if you found the the Swedish cartoon tasteless.

19. Hmm

Hmm Member

clearly he doesn't... otherwise why would he portray parkas in such negative light... serving only to opress and cover all that scandavian mediocrity which he so fawns and drools over... along with the other piebald sheep... possibly scandinavian in origin... eh wot...

I say praise allah... for all their daughters have finally chosen their suitor... scandinavian no less...

frankly I don't see what's so extraordinary or exceptionally alluring about swedish women... particularly those in display in the picture here... if you look closely... several exhibit most average features found in most common house wives... native to our land... minus peroxide... the big ears disporportionately placed about their awkwardly shaped heads... and peculiarly peasant like noses fixed on overly narrowly fixed eyes... some have the facial structure becoming of a young male adolescent... possibly in drag... and to say nothing of their modest busts and physiques... why some even go as far as to conceal their mediocre visages with glasses and other head gear....

1 person likes this.
  20. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

This is stupid "Fear the <del>Communist</del> Muslim Horde" fearmongering. There are 9+ million Swedes. The numbers I can find say 150,000 Muslims in Sweden. Even if that is misrepresented by half - if there are 300,000 Muslims you are still talking like 3% of the population. So yeah, if every trend remains exactly the same until roughly the heat death of the universe, there will be loads of nefarious Muslim Swedes that you will have to contend with.