1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sure it's a preseason game... but...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CrazyDave, Oct 24, 2007.

1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Did the display, by players and the TV crew alike, towards the end of last night's double overtime loss, bother anyone else?

I know it is only pre-season, and I know it was only the Griz, and I know it was a long game...

But even Bill Worrell noticed that players basically didn't want to play at the end of the game. They (perhaps facetiously) commented on Stevie committing that 6th foul just to get out, then made a comment about James saying "You know HE doesn't want back in there"... or somesuch. Then Bull, Clyde (especially clyde) and Bill all went on and on about how miserable it was to be there that long and how the dude (forget who did it) who made that tip in was their new favorite player etc.

Look, I know most of it was just kidding around a bit, but there was too much truth to it in my opinion. I can only imagine how JVG would have reacted (for better or worse, let's not start that flamewar) had players on his team, especially when cuts need to be made, acted like they didn't want minutes in WHATEVER situation.

I don't know, on a personal level, I understood... it's preseason, they were tired, the game meant little win or lose at that point... but aren't they trying to get people excited about the season? Aren't they "Selling" this product?

I guess what I'm saying is, I hope that Adelman's being a "player's coach" doesn't lead us into being a lackluster "try when you think you need to" team. JVG wasn't perfect, but I don't think he'd have let something like that go on, and I can't imagine Les was thrilled with the players, or especially the announcing crew, acting like they had better things to do.

Hate on JVG all you want, he took it seriously, and if players wanted a spot on the roster, not to mention playing time later on, they had better take it seriously too, pre season or not. Let's not dismiss the fact that the defense in the second half was deplorable. We mailed it in at Halftime, and it went down hill from there.

I am a big Clyde the player fan, but between his somewhat listless demeanor behind the mike and his seemingly relaxed or at least less committed attitude since leaving the NBA (leaving coaching mid season, acting only somewhat committed to his broadcasting role at times) I just don't know if I think he's right for the job, or ever will be. I hate saying that, Clyde always was one of my heroes, but this is different.

The slogan this year is "It's Time" but so far I'm a little worried that the team and organization is thinking "It will be time soon, probably."

I know, it's only one preseason game... but again, this just seemed a little much coming from all angles.

Am I making too much of it?

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

lighten up Francis

The guys on the floor played hard, i wanted the game to end also.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i crashed out early and missed the OTs, sad to hear that people were not giving it there all if what you say is true.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i was hoping for a Francis game winner. when we lost

i like turtles.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

i wanted to see 4OT. Yes it's preseason but how can you complain about seeing the Rockets play more than they're suppose to? Without the OT thriller, we wouldn't have seen Stevie and his clutchness, along with Head, Novak and Ladry hitting some big shots.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

OP is Stevie?!? :eek:

;)

7. dragonz

dragonz Member

You have gotten a point, but lets just put our judgement to the season games. Hopefully, they will be turned on when the games have real meaning.

8. Fatty FatBastard

Umm. Preseason games don't mean little. They mean nothing.

Honestly, preseason games shouldn't even have OT's.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Well a certain poster at the game called me all pissed that my boy casey kept making shots and that he and other posters wanted to go home already. i was like i would kill to be there right now.

it is preseason i dont mind so much it was the most entertaining preseason game so far, but at the same time you dont want to have anyone get hurt by playing a meaningless (standing wise) game. the problem with the rocket team is that adelman is still working out rotation and the team is pretty deep so you still would have a major rotation player playing in those garbage minutes (luther/steve last night)

i think you have to also factor in that they are playing the grizzlies again tonight in memphis for a preseason game so after the game they had to go get on a flight to memphis to play the same guys again.

it was funny seeing tmac go :dayum! its f'in preseason!

at the same time i loved seeing all the vets cheering on the other guys like you see bonzi after novak had that sweet pump fake and jumper...its good to see the guys like that

10. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I think part of it is that they had to fly to memphis for tonight's game.

11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

ahh dude, come on. i'd much rather lose an preseason game in double OT than to have some of our money players warm up for a 2nd time and risk injury. theyre already cooled down, iced down. let kids like aaron brooks get some minutes.

steve's foul, though it was his 6th, was a smart foul cause we had a foul to give and it left them with 8 seconds to tie the game.

12. A00man

A00man Member

I knew someone was going to make a post about this.

Take it easy. You answered your own question multiple times in that post.

It's PRE-SEASON. No one wants to play a double over-time game in pre-season except for players trying to make the team.

There was nothing wrong with the attitude of most of the players. I'm pretty sure, both the Rockets and Grizzlies just wanted the game to end.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

During the 05/06 preseason, we were down by two points to the grizzlies with the ball on the final play. Out of the timeout, Barry just chucked up a three and clanked it. He admitted later on that because it was the preseason they went for the win instead of the tie. They didn't want overtime, they just wanted to get out of there injury free. Yesterday had two overtimes. I can understand if they were a little frustrated.

14. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

Ditto. You have to say that's a smart foul.

15. Barkley

Barkley Member

Agree. Even when the team loses every game that's nothin. It's time to play you're new players, rookies. That's all.

We shouldn't be as concerned about it

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not concerned AT ALL.

In fact, I wouldn't have had a problem if we just forfeited that game after regulation.

17. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

the broadcast jokes didnt bother me... but what sort of irked me was seeing t-mac say...

"Are you f**king kidding me its f**king preseason"... there u got leader of the team. I was kind of disappointed in that... but not as disappointed that frigging kyle lowry ended up with a triple double

18. UrMyStlkAl

UrMyStlkAl Member

Anybody have a video of him saying that? I saw when he was on the court mad that it was going into another OT but I didn't see what he was saying.

19. mrdan

mrdan Contributing Member

I thought it was funny when T-Mac said he wanted to take the refs' whistles away and kidnap them so he could go home.

I just view it as anxiety for the regular season to start. It is preseason and nothing more.

20. drankcity

drankcity Member

kely lowery ran off the court if he had just hit a shot that send memphis to the finals.........lol......lol...and more lol.........its a preseason game! looks like thats the only excitement that memphis is going to get all year along.