1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Mario

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by across110thstreet, Apr 27, 2001.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Gotta love Mario Elie, he says it like he sees it...

http://www.nba.com/playoffs2001/features_analysis/IS_pho_sac_010425.html?nav=ArticleList

on Kings Guard Darrick Martin:
    Kings guard Darrick Martin picked the wrong player to talk trash to in Game 1 of the Suns-Kings series. The 37-year-old Mario Elie, one of the NBA's most vocal veterans, didn't take too kindly to being called "old man" by a harassing Martin, and had plenty to say back.

"I just turned around and said, 'Brother, you ain't played in two years. I don't want to hear that,'" the Suns' guard said, later calling Martin "a poor-man's Jack Haley."

"Don't come to me with that nonsense. I'm out here earning mine. He's been on the bench for two years. You never see Darrick Martin out there."

While Elie would later say he had nothing personal against Martin, it was Darrick who was on the floor down the stretch of the Kings' win in Game 2. Although, Elie would probably be quick to point out that Martin was only in during garbage time.

On a possible Jordan/Barkley Senior Tour:

A reporter from Chicago was in Sacramento earlier this week asking the Suns and Kings what they thought about Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley possibly coming out of retirement. He got an earful from Elie.

"I'm tired of him and Charles retiring," he said. "Especially Charles, retiring 100 times and then coming back. We beat 'em twice in the playoffs ('94, '95) and he was, 'Ah I'm going to retire.' I'm tired of that. If you want to stay in the game, stay in the game. That's all. Stop coming and going, coming and going.

"Michael Jordan is a great player, but if he comes back, whoop-de-do. I could care less. I'm just worrying about my little career. I'm having a nice little career. Whatever Michael's going to do, more power to him."

Of course, the next question was whether or not Elie would ever consider retiring and then returning to basketball.

"Man, I've had a wonderful career and basketball's been good," he answered. "I want to do something else. I want to enjoy my family and enjoy my wife. You won't have to worry about me coming out of retirement. You'll see me heckling somebody. I'll be in the front row. I'll be a Darrick Martin, heckling people. But I'll have a suit on."

good luck Mario, hope you get ring #4

this is my 100th post [​IMG]

------------------
    right on

[This message has been edited by across110thstreet (edited April 26, 2001).]

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4:20 zooted

------------------
    right on

3. Hydra

Hydra Member

Barkley has only retired once to my knowledge. He has said in frustration that he was going to retire, but after the game against Vancouver in Houston last year was the only time he actually went through with it. Mario wishes he had half the career that Barkley had, rings or no rings.

------------------
    "Of course, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong" -- Dennis Miller

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Is Mario ever happy?

------------------
    See the three, be the three.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he is afraid that if he somehow becomes happy, he might lose his edge.

I love how, when referring to Barkley retiring and coming back, he said, "Stop coming and going, coming and going." But when talking about whether Jordan should come back or not, he says, "More power to him."

... Jordan has retired and come back just as many times as Barkley! I sense a bit of inconsistency here, Mario.

Could it be you just don't like Charles Barkley? [​IMG]

------------------
    Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000328.html

[This message has been edited by RunninRaven (edited April 30, 2001).]