1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summary of Loose-in-the-socket Star Players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AussieRocket, Jun 12, 2007.

1. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

I thought this would be such a bland off-season, considering how sucky the free-agent crop is. (Other than Chauncey and Rashard there is really nobody worth mentioning. Chauncey is staying in Detroit for sure and Rashard will be S&T most likely)

Now however, we have had so many rumors of top-notch players being loose-in-the socket that my head is literally spinning. I thought I'd summarize them here, from a Rockets perspective.

1. Kobe. Rockets Perspective (RP): T-Mac + Howard for Kobe+Vlad has potential if Kobe keeps wanting out. 1.T-Mac is as close to fair value for Kobe as the Lakers would get. 2.Last year there was a rumor they wanted Juwon for Mihm and McKie. 3.Vlade has been a disappointment for them, however I have watched him a lot and the guy can play. He's got the ADD, true, but he is certainly no Stro Swift. I think he's a true Adelman type. Finally, the rumor was that the rockets were hard after him in 2001. Had he dropped past Seattle, the whole Eddie Griffin thing would not have happened.

2. Artest. RP: the Kirk+Span+#26+Sura deal is a no-brainer. I can't believe that Artest would bring so little for the Maloofs. On a side note, isn't it nice that they are looking seriously at Scotty Brooks for their head-coach?! Problem is, how much respect will he get from players, all they need to see is footage of Scottie's play to laugh him off. Obviously Scott Brooks and Ron Artest could not work out...

3. Sean Marion. RP: This one is a true puzzle. What Phoenix is saying is that they would only do a deal if it doesn't hurt the team and if it cuts payroll? How is this going to work? they are saying, we want to package Marion with Marcus Banks, get equal quality in return but for less money? Sure, would you like a free milk-shake with that too? I don't see the Rockets being a player here, and frankly I don't see anybody having what the Suns want.

4. Rashard. RP: As Clutch pointed out, Sura+Battier+25% would give Rashard a nice starting salary in S&T. The only problem is, even considering all the good things about Shane Battier, he is 29. If the Sonics want to re-build around Durant, wouldn't they want more young players with better upside than Battier? Battier is not a rebuilding piece, really...

5. Zach Randolf. RP: I am surprised that so many teams have laughed at Portland's overtures to deal randolph. The guy is a legitimate 20-10, you don't have that many 20-10 players in this league, regardless of baggage and all. Juwon+Sura+Snyder+Novak should be enough for Portland, considering how little interest have there been in Zach. It would save them tons of money over the years, just when they need to lock-in Albridge, Roy and Oden. Also gives them a serviceable swingman in Snyder and a potential asset in Novak. If Les is smart, he should play contrarian to every other owner who is afraid to take on such financial comittment for a nutcase. Talent-wise it's a good deal...

6. Mike Bibby. RP: I hear the rumors about Bibby and just don't understand them. Is Sacramento rebuilding? How can that be, they still have unmovable comittments to Kenny Thomas, Shareef and Brad Miller? I just don't think the Maloofs care about the Kings anymore. I guess anything is possible, but I don't see any logic in trading Bibby...

7/ Marcus Camby. RP: Denver is heavily into lux tax territory. Sura+Rafer should be somewhat attractive to Denver. First, they cut payroll from the Sura deal. Second, they get a PG who is not a downgrade from Steve Blake, without adding payroll for resigning Blake. Considering the rumors that Blake may get a big payday, this should be attarctive. Third, AI+Skip-to-my-Lou would be a very intruiging backourt... perhaps ten years too late, but still.... On the other hand, Sura+Alston for the Defensive Player of the Year? Am I talking carzy here? Is Denver so desperate to cut payroll? I know they are way into luxury tax, but still...

8. Mike James. RP: Soooo, this past February the deal-breaker was that the Rockets didn't want Eddie Griffin's contract. He still has one more year, and I just don't see any reason for the Rockets to budge on that. McHale would just have to eat it. Also, Sura should be out of the question. If you look at the 1 through 7 above you see many more interesting options involving Sura's contract. So what is it that Minny would want then? Do we do the Alston-James reverse swap?

9. Steve Francis. RP: should bring him in for the minimum in case he is bought out. However, if I am Isiah I am not buying him out. What for? I still think that Stevie is actually better than Marbury. Also, What if Marbury gets hurt?

That's a lot of All-Stars, two DPOY, Kobe, I didn't even touch on the KG rumors... All in all it shapes up as an eventfull off-season.

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Im still too angry at you for stealing my moniker to even read your post.

grrrrr.

3. Vivid

Vivid Member

and he is a member to boot....and it took him like 1,500 less post to do it???
    -V

4. AussieRocket

AussieRocket Member

OK, I already explained myself. I am NOT a rookie, I have been here since 1999. All of a sudden my account stopped working after we moved to Australia, so I picked a new monicker. I didn't know that a similar one already was in use. I don't know how to change it now to another one. I am not a bad guy.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Just a little loose in the socket?

6. matty101

matty101 Member

Nice post. I like some of your ideas however i think some of them are unrealisitc. I doubt Kobe gets traded. Marion is not coming to us because we have nothing the suns need except for maybe head and a young vspan to develop behind nash. We have no need for camby either because i dont think he can effectively play PF next to Yao. Also i cant see us landing artest and Bibby without giving up Tmac. Maybe one or th other but not both.

The rest of the trades interest me especially the Artest one and Rashard one. I highly doubt we get both though.

Hopefully we can do one of them and then trade juwan for Mike James and then spend the whole MLE on a athletic PF with some range.

GET IT DONE MOREY!

PS. AussieRocket, im from Australia as well. Im from sydney, where are you from? Also how do you watch your games? Foxtel only shows a few games a week and we have a DL Limit so we cant stream as much as we want.

Let me know. Thanks!

7. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

haha AussieRocket its all good, just messing with you my man. I know your not a bad guy!! Well actually I dont - but if you are its not based on the fact that you stole my moniker...(Pssssyche) ;)

and to Mr Vivid Pictures its all good with you too...but a friendly reminder that

A) I was a member
    B) I was a senior member :cool:
    C) I believe im now a rookie for posting too much in a short hazy 2 week period - for which I have apoligised for, although the reason has never been confirmed by Clutch.
    D) being a member...being a rookie...as Happy Gilmore stated it "Gold jacket ...Green jacket... who gives a s..t!

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Good exercise, though it is a longshot that any of them come here. I think the most likely is actually Zach Randolph