1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Suggested FA Target: Austin Reaves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The only risk would be if we treated him like a star guard. He's never going to be a worse defender than right now, stop giving effort, make his open 3's and stop destroying closeouts. There are personality types. There are hardworkers then there are guys like Linsanity, Russell, FVV who lean too heavily on their belief that they deserve to be a star. Reaves is not that dude.

He's a $20m (new CBA') roleplayer if teams are gameplanning for him then his job is done. His job is to attack when defenses help off him. IMO there's 0 risk here.

#161 Mathloom, Apr 25, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    Believe It! and lakersuck2 like this.
  2. Ancient Moabite

To prop up your case even more I think Grizz are the 2 seed

I could see where he could be a possibility once other moves are made after the draft and if Harden reups with Sixers

Mathloom likes this.
  3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Give him a contract that starts at 25M a year but is front loaded. Would make it hard to match and becomes more reasonable over time. This year's FA crop kinda sucks anyway.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I forgot that Reaves was an Arenas Rule FA ....

If a team offers him 4/80 it would be 20/20/20/20 on their books but on the Lakers it would be 12/12/28/28.
    The back end being the "poison pill" contract.
    They can only give him the NT-MLE or the early bird exception in the first yeah and only a 5% raise in year two while matching the overall contract value.

If they are in the tax next year, they'll be repeaters as they were tax payers in each of the last three years according to Spotrac.

$123,155,354 in current salary
    $38,844,646 to the luxury tax line

Russell likely eats into a big chunk of that then there's Rui Hachimura who has a cap hold of $18,789,564, not sure they pay him that much but its expected they extend him. Between those two, that likely brings them to the tax line or very close to it.

His early bird exception would be $11,368,000 but assuming the contracts of Russell & Hachimura brought them to the threshold of the tax, this contract would put them in the 350% tax rate plus another 100% on top of that as repeaters meaning matching that contract would cost them $32,406,000 in year one.

That still leaves them with pick #17 to pay as well as filling out the roster .... with Dennis Schroder and Lonnie Walker and 3 open roster spots to pay.

That could easily put them $55m or more over the tax line which would put them in the 625% to 675% tax rate.
    I'm not so sure the Lakers would want to pay that tax bill.
    They have to let someone go and maybe more than one of them - who is it ? Russell, Hachimura or Reaves???

See above, he's an Arenas FA, the Lakers can match but can't pay him more than the NT-MLE in year one and a 5% raise in year two with the remainder of the contract in the final two years. In this case, the Lakers would use the early bird rights which is less than the NT-MLE by about $1m.

Y2JT likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Great info dude. Add to that Jeanie was tight with the purse this season so I'm not sure they even want to pay the maximum they can pay.

Sounds like 4/90 would make this ultra painful for them. Having said that, he has been the best Laker outside AD and Lebron in this series. Hachimura had 1 great game and 2 good ones on one side of the court only. Reaves has had good games on both sides of the court in all games plus he has stepped up to seal 2 wins in 4th quarters.

What's really going to drive the price up us I believe Pop will want to add him too and has plenty of cap space. Lots of people comparing him to Manu and while I don't like Manu Ginobody it's a good player type to be compared to.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I suppose if you're really high on Reaves and you have intel the Spurs are also after him, you could hit both him and Tre Jones with offer sheets and make the Spurs pick and choose. If you land them both figure something out later. (Thinly disguised "trade KPJ" thread we got going here in other words.)

Ancient Moabite and Y2JT like this.
  7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Great idea re Tre Jones but can't they create enough space to match both?

Oh man I watched a Udoka interview the other day and I couldn't help but think: how is KPJ going to survive under this guy? He chews players out in the media, he yells at them in front of reporters. He likes tough players who don't mind chasing opponents through screens and players who like attacking the rim.

Could be great for him but also could be a nightmare for him. Depends on whether he's ready to grow or not. I don't hold out a lot of hope for fragile people who try to heal by asking for everything around them to be perfect and peaceful. KPJ didn't get along with Lucas and Udoka is more Lucas than Silas.

raining threes and OremLK like this.
  8. conquistador#11

Harden, Reaves or Cam
    We can only have 2. Choose wisely.

[​IMG]

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Harden and Cam.

Mr.Scary likes this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

The kid is a shooting guard. Per 36 min he’s like 16-4-4 with 2TO’s. He’s a good shooter and he’s young, and he’s got a bright future, but we need a point guard. I don’t see where he fits in with Green/KPJ on the roster.

pmac and Ancient Moabite like this.
  11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

He played PG all through High School and his first year or two of college. He can play the point. He's running the point at times for the Lakers in the playoffs and winning. He's got LeBron freaking James letting him run it. In BIG time situations. He's not just a SG.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Reaves continues to shine as an elite playoff-calibre role player. Has been the team's reliable 3rd or 4th scorer in these playoffs, running offense for long stretches all while guarding the toughest backcourt assignment. He's running PG in the 4th quarter of playoff games with Lebron and another PG on the floor. Would be a great fit with Udoka, he kind of looks like the girl Udoka was banging.

Lowest risk signing out there. He's not going to forget to make open 3's or close out or relentlessly chase people around screens or generate a 3:1 asst/to ratio. He's done it in the playoffs under pressure for 10 games now. Going against current champions backcourt of Curry, Poole, Klay, GPIII and Wiggins and still looking legit. Prior to that they discarded Morant/Bane.

If we can get him at $20m starting salary that would be great value. If it exceeds $25m/season I'd start worrying. The problem is I can see him being chased by all the young teams with cap space (Orlando, Utah, Indiana) which might inflate the offers.

BaselineFade, Y2JT, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I have no more questions about this guy. He was guarding Steph and the best wings on the Warriors all series btw. Steph shot below his regular season efficiency in this series. Reaves is pivotal ON BOTH SIDES of the court in an elimination against the defending champs:

Have to get this guy and the Lakers can't possibly afford him at this point. He's guaranteed himself at least a $20m/season starting salary in these playoffs and the playoffs don't lie. If you're doing this against a championship contender in the second round of the playoffs, then you can do this. He actually seems to get better as the moment gets bigger.

BaselineFade, GotGame15, Y2JT and 3 others like this.
  14. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

He wants to be in LA.

Rudyc281 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I've liked what I've seen from Reaves, but I'm still scared to give an undrafted guy with such a short track record a large contract. Maybe I'm just once burned, twice shy by Jeremy Lin. I wouldn't hate it, but it concerns me.

I do think the Spurs will compete with us for Reaves and Cam Johnson should we try to acquire them.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Nope, he outright said to the LA media: money comes first.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, this should be fairly obvious. He needs to get paid. He doesn't have first round draft pick money to fall back on. Right now he's going to have made, what, a couple mill? That's huge money for most of us but it's not enough to live comfortably for the rest of your life, especially compared to NBA peers. There's a chance this contract is the biggest he'll ever get, so it needs to really set him up. No way he takes less to stay in LA, at least not by any significant margin.

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

If Jeremy Lin could guard Steph Curry through a 2nd round series and he could hit his 3's and he would dive for loose balls and didn't get sad/demotivated when he's asked to be a role player, then what the hell would be wrong with Jeremy Lin?

Don't let Jeremy Lin ruin good things for you man. That comparison is about as reasonable as the Kanter/Sengun comparison. Radically different players and mindsets. Reaves is the guy you take to a fight. Lin is not.

Vudu, Corrosion, Believe It! and 2 others like this.
  19. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

This guy is the ultimate playoff role player. He has high drive mixed with some tenacity. Man I hope we can sign this dude…

Y2JT, Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If folks wants to overpay for FVV, i rather we overpay for this dude. Is the purpose of signing him to displace kpj at pg and letting him run our offense?
    Overpaying him just to b a sixth man or uber role player doesn't seem smart.

arabrocket and Rudyc281 like this.